BEST mpg...

Goatkart

Registered
Hey gang, i know i know.... best MP whaaaat?

anyhow, im using the busa for daily comuting for class, mostly in town stop light types of stuff, so i get lots of accel then brake, then accel then braaake...

what im trying to find is the best shifting pattern to optimize in town MPG...

when i didnt pay attention, and instead had fun, i got 30mpg... bwhahaha...

now that im paying attention its slowly going up...

its also cold as hell here which really doesnt help.... i let the bike idle a bit to get some heat in it before i take off usually...

anyhow, what RPM or skip shift pattern or what have you are you finding to be the best for milage... the bike supposedly has a +3 rear to make matters... better.... :)

just looking for some basic ball parks...

sell suzuki, buy 250 ninja, be happy.:lol: no on a trip last year my wife on her 08 250 ninja got 85 mpg, really impressive. i have a b-king and can pretty easily get 50 mpg

sell suzuki, buy 250 ninja, be happy.:lol: no on a trip last year my wife on her 08 250 ninja got 85 mpg, really impressive. i have a b-king and can pretty easily get 50 mpg

YOU LOSE!!

:moon:

c'mon seriously... im used to cruisers where they only had 5 gears... mpg was easy then, no tach, and they didnt turn a million rpm...

busa's a whole new concept to me...

so far i've change my technique to short shifting and skip shifting like a ninny.. seems to be workin...

MPG? Really?
I don't worry about the MPG, it is infinitely more fun than rolling along in my cage, but I only get about 38 mpg avg. city/hwy.

MPG? Really?
I don't worry about the MPG, it is infinitely more fun than rolling along in my cage, but I only get about 38 mpg avg. city/hwy.

lol i know i know....

i made this thread knowing the funny faces i was going to get...

hahaha..

Well I have to tell you the truth...I have been disappointed in the MPG factor for both the Busa and my '02 Road King, that I have heavily modified, both only get about 38 mpg and at BEST 42 mpg. My '61 Panhead (which is carburated) gets 56 mpg! But then why worry about the miles per gallon, it only takes the fun out of it! :thumbsup:

I use my bike mainly for commuting and get an average of 39 MPG. That's mainly high way mileage and I'm using 4th thru 6th on the highway depending on speeds. I try to keep my RPM below 3500 when possible.

When I do some long distance trips my MPG jumps to around 50. :beerchug:

MPG just equals no fun at all. With out really trying though I can usually get into the low 40's for gas mileage.

I did a 60 mile fuel effiency rally around Seneca Lake last spring...officially got 57 MPG. That was in a tuck, 6th gear, & 60 MPH.

This was before I installed a spedohealer. Still not sure if the odometer was effected (heard yes and no for years), but if it was, subtract 7%...53 MPG. I'll have to do a GPS-odometer comparison this year.

During "normal" riding, I usually get around 34-39 MPG.

Green Grand Prix.jpg

helmet 038.jpg

Wouldn't know but the fuel tank empties roughly three times the speed of my old bike's tank. Does that help? :laugh:

44 highway, tucked in at 105 :thumbsup: around town, i'll average 38 normally, 30-32 riding like a hoon. i'm told that 50 mpg is possible at 50 mph.

My bikes both use about 5 gallons per week commuting. My truck drinks that in two days for the exact same route and distance.

Keep the RPMs below 4K and enjoy. You should squeak out high 30's to mid 40's.

Good gas mileage is possible, but you have to work at it. I do have an older buddy that rides a silver/copper 'Busa and gets gas mileage in the high 40's to the low 50's. He hardly ever gets on the throttle really hard. :thumbsup:

cool thanks guys.... seems like after altering my driving habits to get into 6th a little more, my MPG is right on target..

I ride back and forth to work during the week. I travel mostly hwy. I am in the tuck position most of the time and get close to 50 mpg. Never have bothered to check around town.

1. Fill up tank
2. Ride turbo busa and stay in boost for max fun
3. Look at gage and see that I'm getting 18 mpg average. 8 mpg when dragracing :thumbsup:

I can easily get 37ish on highway if I stay out of boost (with stock gearing). I could change front sprocket and get even better mpg and let added torque of the turbo offset the taller gearing.

Back