my 1st and 2nd gear is slipping?

ham4864

Registered
to make a long story short i was quoted about $1000 for the job could be less depending on how much stuff is damaged. Does this sound about right.I have known my mechanic for about 4 years now and has never done me wrong and has always done good work.What do you guys think?

yea parts and labor.you have to becareful what you buy,it was like that when i brought the bike

Slipping is a clutch problem. $1000.00 for clutch work would be way high. More description of the problem would be helpful.

does it just slip and grab or pop out of gear under acceleration and go into nuetral?

If, it just a clutch then that is a little steep. You should price out the clutch you want to buy. This can help you determine , if the price is to much. If, it's your transmission then this is a good price.

I only replaced what was bad in my trans. 4 gear's, one shift fork complete gasket set, oil and filter bla, bla bla. By the time I was done it eas $600 in part's at a discount and my own labor. $1000 is a good deal for someone else to do it.

I haven't seen or heard of tranny's slipping ( exept automatics ) so this should be a clutch issue. More info on your problem would help on this.

If it is popping out of gear, a $1000 dollars with all the parts and labor, isn't too bad considering the motor has to be removed and the cases need to be split!

If, it just a clutch then that is a little steep.
A little? New OEM fibers and steels can be had for around $200, less for aftermarket, clutch can be changed in 30 minutes or less. Don't know what kinda shop rate you get charged, but that's ridiculous!

Back