Rimjob

No, it's not what you're thinking:laugh:

I had a set of tires mounted on my bike 3 weeks ago. I got home yesterday and noticed the back tire was flat as a pancake. I determined the air was leaking around the rim. I took it back to the shop where I bought the tires/had them installed, and he confirmed the leak source but claimed my rim was corroded. They're chrome aftermarket wheels and he said I should get a new set. Funny though, because with the old set of tires, the didn't leak... Did he mess up my rims?

No, but they should've identified the corrosion and attempted to clean it up with scotchbrite or something. It's not uncommon for aluminum or chrome wheels to corrode in the bead area.

First order of business.. find another shop.

Then, clean the bead areas up with a Scotch Brite pad or a wire brush, air the tire back up (make sure it seats well all around, use Windex to help the seating process if needed), spray a little soapy water around the bead to confirm no leaks, and you should be good to go.:thumbsup:

First order of business.. find another shop.

Then, clean the bead areas up with a Scotch Brite pad or a wire brush, air the tire back up (make sure it seats well all around, use Windex to help the seating process if needed), spray a little soapy water around the bead to confirm no leaks, and you should be good to go.:thumbsup:

I like the Windex trick too less messy than soap. :thumbsup:

Yea man, if it was corroded, why didn't they freakin clean it for you? Or at least tell you that they're corroded before they mounted the tire on?? Or check it for leaks after for that matter?
:poke:

I'd guess the guy that mounted your new rubber never inspected the bead area of the wheel. I've changed hundreds of bike tires and I never inspect the rim lips. I'd have to remove the wheel from the machine after the old tire was removed to do an inspection. I don't think anyone in the tire business does that without you requesting it.

However, when you returned the wheel with a flat, they checked it for leaks, found it leaking around the bead and only then did they search out the source of the leak. No one checks for leaks around the bead when mounting a tire. I don't think you can place any blame on the guy who mounted your tires. It's just the luck of the draw.

It's not rust on your aluminum wheels, it's either oxidation or the chrome is flacking off creating a bead seal problem.

Good luck with the fix but I'm suspicious you'll end up buying a set of wheels!

UPDATE: The shop owner cleaned up the corrosion and remounted my tire. Took a couple hours to do it and never charged me. Said the leak is fixed, but next time I need a tire... I have this to look forward to again.
I gave him $50 for his time and effort and cruised home.:beerchug:

Probably somebody new to tire mounting.At work we all have to scuff the beads of the rims on alumium rims with the salt in this area or they come back in a week with low tires. Should have been done right the first time. At the dragon I got a tire at Wheelers and he cleaned my bead with out being asked.

Dam, same thing just happend to me. same thing as you, new tire kept going down on the front. Had the tire took back off, and sure enough, chrome was corroided around the bead. Had to sand it with sand paper, hasd tire remounted on thursday, and the leak is gone.

i'd guess the guy that mounted your new rubber never inspected the bead area of the wheel. I've changed hundreds of bike tires and i never inspect the rim lips. I'd have to remove the wheel from the machine after the old tire was removed to do an inspection. I don't think anyone in the tire business does that without you requesting it.

However, when you returned the wheel with a flat, they checked it for leaks, found it leaking around the bead and only then did they search out the source of the leak. No one checks for leaks around the bead when mounting a tire. I don't think you can place any blame on the guy who mounted your tires. It's just the luck of the draw.

It's not rust on your aluminum wheels, it's either oxidation or the chrome is flacking off creating a bead seal problem.

Good luck with the fix but i'm suspicious you'll end up buying a set of wheels!
bull $hit i allways clean them:rulez:

Trust me it will return with the next tire change.

Here's what it looks like.
PittedRim003.jpg

PittedRim001.jpg

and here's my fix
PittedRim006.jpg

PittedRim008.jpg

Last edited:
:thumbsup: Good info here. Mine has new tires on it, but I'll remember this for the end of this season.

I would have the owner find out who did the work originally and have him disciplined. The person doing the work did not take the 2 minutes out of his day to inform you of the problem and to clean it himself. It is the little things that I look for when I take my bike in to get serviced.

Two options, run a tube or get new rims. This is a problem with using air, nitrogen will eliminate the corrosion problem, just have to find places that carry it.

Back