Pesky Stickers

Puggle

Registered
So it's been 3 months of fantastic busa riding, especially the local national park where there are no fuzz, no traffic, and brand spanking new roads that feel like a racetrack. I digress...

I've been trying for 3 months to get those stupid stickers off. They came off real easy on the black plastic area around the tank, but the 2 on the tank are crazy. They have left a nasty residue that is so sticky I should call NASA. Eucalyptus oil, mild solvents, car wash stuff, scrubbing and gently scraping and they're still there. Next step is methylated spirits, avgas, kerosene, oven cleaner, industrial solvents....

The challenge of course is to save the pretty pearlescent white finish on the 2009 white + blue.

So.

What exactly will take the paint off? How far can I go? Any suggestions for something that destroys the heck out of the sticker but leaves the paint?

In case USA has stickers somewhere else, these are what I'm talking about:
1 and 2 are gone. 3 is not visible, but is on the tank just below the fuel cap and above where a tank protector would go (is).

2.jpg

A hair dryer works most of the time. The use WD-40 to get the sticky off. I would shy away from any decal removal solvents, the could destroy the plastics. That happens to me, had to buy a new lower!

I have done this twice now, both times I used a hair dryer to heat the sticker & glue. The wife used her finger nails to carefully get under the sticker & lift it. I used chemist made surgical sprits & a soft cloth to remove the residue. You should be able to buy a small bottle from your local pharmacy / drug store.

I took those same three stickers off of my 09. To get rid of the adhesive I used Goo Gone from my local Auto Zone. It worked very well.

Yup... hair dryer nice and easy works good. Unless you're like a buddy of mine, he took a high power pressure washer to'm and close up, hahaha course he damaged some paint in the process ?????????

Cheers

Hair dryer is definitely the way to go. Just be patient.

The best stuff I know to remove sticky residue is SEM Solve, which is what autobody shops use to remove paint overspray. A quart can will last you for years. You'll find a million uses for the stuff once you get it. It's a little hard to find. Look up automotive paint supplies in your yellow pages.

sem solve.jpg

I'd give rubbing alcohol a shot in a small area, if it works, continue on. But def heat it up w/ a hair dryer first and pry up as much as you can.

I'd give rubbing alcohol a shot in a small area, if it works, continue on. But def heat it up w/ a hair dryer first and pry up as much as you can.

Rubbing alcohol ain't gonna do crap for removing the solvent based decal adhesive. Sign shops use "Rapid Remover" for adhesive removal, you guys struggle with adhesive from 2" x 3" decals, can you imagine doing a bus wrap removal? now there's some adhesive! If your having trouble I strongly suggest stoping by your local independant small sign shop and ask for a little help, more than likely they will take a spray of Rapid Remover and take off your adhesive in 2 seconds.

Thanks for the advice guys. :thumbsup:

Naturally I used a hairdryer, then upgraded to a heatgun. Still didn't peek off like most any other sticker on the planet. The dealer warned me about this, apparently Australian lawyers have got the dealers to put special 'permanent' stickers on Australian delivered bikes, which are designed to be absolutely destroyed when removed, not peeled off.

The auto goo remover stuff did not work. I'll try a signwriter.

WD 40 and the end of a plastic ruler....

File the end of the ruler to a 70 * angle....

Like an ice scaper.... maybe you dont know what an ice scaper looks like lol

30cm-plastic-rulers-[1].jpg

Last edited:
I used heat gun... came off in second. clean it up with with cleaner:thumbsup:

its horse pucky that the dealer doesnt remove them.

Jdog109socal Here in Florida the dealer will not touch those warning stickers.
Not in 2 bikes I have bought and ones I have picked up with others.
First thing we all ask.
Can you take those nasty stickers off ?
No way they wont do it.
Has to leave lot with all warnings intact is what they always say.
Not me just them.

Jdog109socal Here in Florida the dealer will not touch those warning stickers.
Not in 2 bikes I have bought and ones I have picked up with others.
First thing we all ask.
Can you take those nasty stickers off ?
No way they wont do it.
Has to leave lot with all warnings intact is what they always say.
Not me just them.

dumb isnt it.... same here in Ca.

Be careful with any heat source as too much or too close and you can bubble the paint on the tank or weaken it to where it comes off with sticker when peeled .

My vote is for Goo Gone and finger nails to remove leftover adhesive after using hair dryer to remove sticker.

Back