Can you help me select an intercom?

Registered
Here is what I would like to have.

A wired system that I can store in the trunk and pulls power off the bike. I would like to have inline volume controls on each headset and a PTT button I can mount on the handlebars. The ability to have an MP3 input would be nice but not necessary. Does such a system exist?

Yes, the finest unit I've found is Autocomm, just installed it(winter project so I haven't used it on my bike yet) BUT my friend called me on the phone (to my house) the other day and we had this long conversation.....at the end of the call he proceeded to tell me he was running along @ 70 mph on his bike all the time! (he has Autocomm) It was amazing, like he was at home in his living room, it was so clear. He says ALL aspects of performance (intercomm, Bluetooth, mp-3, GPS, etc.)are just as quality....I can't wait till Spring! Raydog

I have used Autocom for years with a Kenwood Gmsr Radio...it doesnt get any better then that.. Super Pro Avi model.... Call Kieth at Tulsa truck center.. the best prices and this guy is a autocom guru.. he knows his chit.....

Keith @ Tulsa Truck Center
918-446-2245

Jdog

Raydog, are you connected from the helmet to the unit or are you bluetoothed?

Also, how about iPhone?

Does autocom have the same settings as other communication systems, such as you can only talk to other autocom users?

I purchased the chatterbox which works fine for me because thats what the majority of riders around me use. I'd get what the majority of your riding friends have.

Last edited:
how about iPhone?

I phone works fine with bluetooth

Does autocom have the same settings as other communication systems, such as you can only talk to other autocom users?

The autocomm is just the hub if you will call it that.. You can put just about whatever radio you want as the communication piece. Chatterbox runs off of FRS channels, so you just put a FRS radio in the trunk with a cable to the autocomm and viola your talking to people with chatterbox and even someone in a car with a FRS radio..

I have the superAVi as the Autocomm base, I have the push to talk on the handle bars, a FRS radio, a bluetooth module and a connection to my Zumo 550 GPS.

I can be riding down the road and my phone ring, I get the sound in my helmet, the call shows up on my GPS display and I can tap the screen to take the call. If music is playing when the call comes in the volume of the music fades and the ring takes priority, the same is true when someone calls you on the radio, when you hit the PTT the music will go down and then a few seconds later if you dont speak into the mic the music will fade back up... I have mine on a relay so that when I turn the key on my comms come online... I can also hear directions on my GPS too...

I searched and asked and studied long and hard before I went this way but in the end I dont think there is anything out there that can touch it...

Let me know if you want more information or if anyone would like to talk on the phone about it...

CAp

I got some capital laying around ready to spend. I did some searching and I am having a hard time finding Autocom. Are they out of business?

When receiving a call or listening to GPS directions, does the passenger hear them too?

Is there a way to adjust the volume without taking off the seat?

Last edited:
Cap, Do you have your iPhone hooed up to Autocom? Are you using a corded earplug or cordless to your helmet, and are you listening to your tunes thru your GPS or thru your iPhone? That was the problem I saw with the GPS issue as music was piped thru in mono and not stereo. Only other disadvantage is that this setup can only be used for one bike, but you could use chatterbox with any bike because it's on your helmet....?

I would like:

1. Cordless if possible
2. BT to iPhone for both phone and tunes
3. BT to Zumo for GPS Only
4. PTT
5. Connect to my good earplugs not speakers in the helmet
Can autocom do all that?

See here for some pics of the setup: https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/94189-pics-some-recent-upgrades-violet.html

I've since upgraded to the Super Pro AVi...

Autocom for the US market does not have cordless to the helmet; don't know why - they have it in the UK.

You can do BT to the iPhone for tunes and voice, however tunes will only be mono as the neither the Autocom BT module nor Zumo 550 support A2DP. You are better off using hardwire for tunes because then you CAN get stereo.

You can do BT for the Zumo for GPS.

You can have PTT

You can have good earplugs - Autocom makes a headset cable that has a 3.5mm stereo jack. On long rides, I will plug in my Bose ear buds. On short rides, I just use the Autocom speakers in my helmet.

I am glad you guys brought this up! I myself have an Autocom system. It is a few years old. I have 2 bikes, and I wanted to make it easy to go from bike to bike. But it really isnt that easy. I have done it before using the 9 volt battery in the Autocom box in a back pack. I had to wire it to my helmet and the passengers. We did use a MP3 player for tunes and had a phone hooked up too. So she had the back pack with atuocom, with 4 cords coming out of it. One for her cell phone, then the Mp3 player and out 2 for the helmets. Cell phone in one pocket and Mp3 player for other. Loved it when in use, but a pain to get all up and running. So, now I am looking at putting it on the Busa as a permanent setup. Run it with my phone, mp3 player, and radio if possible. Problem here is that I have 2 ports on the Autocom. One for music. One for phone. So to run the radio I had to unplug the phone to put in the FRS radio to have that working. I dont know any other Autocom users, So please chim in. I want to start using this system again on the busa....

Also, I am looking in to head sets for Karen and I. She just got her bike, and when we ride on our own rides. Her on her SecaII and me on my 09 1k.She would like to be able to talk to me, as well as answer her phone, because she is on call often. So what systems would you recommend. Simple easy to use. I plan on using the Autocom on 2 helmets when riding the busa, and the other 2 helmets when we are riding the other 2 bikes.

Any help, suggestions, please let me know! I still feel lost to what works and what doesnt. I have used the chatter box system before. But a friend and I used it for chatting on our rides, but didnt seem to last after the season of riding!

So, where does your cord come out at?

I have my connector come out just behind the gas tank in the space between the frame and gas tank. Its out of the way if I dont use the headset. There is a cable that goes in between the helmet connector and the connector on the bike.

I phone works fine with bluetooth

The autocomm is just the hub if you will call it that.. You can put just about whatever radio you want as the communication piece. Chatterbox runs off of FRS channels, so you just put a FRS radio in the trunk with a cable to the autocomm and viola your talking to people with chatterbox and even someone in a car with a FRS radio..

I have the superAVi as the Autocomm base, I have the push to talk on the handle bars, a FRS radio, a bluetooth module and a connection to my Zumo 550 GPS.

I can be riding down the road and my phone ring, I get the sound in my helmet, the call shows up on my GPS display and I can tap the screen to take the call. If music is playing when the call comes in the volume of the music fades and the ring takes priority, the same is true when someone calls you on the radio, when you hit the PTT the music will go down and then a few seconds later if you dont speak into the mic the music will fade back up... I have mine on a relay so that when I turn the key on my comms come online... I can also hear directions on my GPS too...

I searched and asked and studied long and hard before I went this way but in the end I dont think there is anything out there that can touch it...

Let me know if you want more information or if anyone would like to talk on the phone about it...

CAp

you left out the XM radio part..:thumbsup:

I have autocomm also, I have never seen or heard any better. Takes a couple of tries to get the settings right to cancel out the wind noise but by far the best you can get.

This is another great option that I can look at when I can finally get my communication system. :thumbsup:

Seems so darn confusing! I found what looks like a good deal on an autocom pro m1, but don't know if I wanna get that or wait for a more permanent setup I can afford later. I definitely want bike to bike comms but rider/pillion is most important

Seems so darn confusing! I found what looks like a good deal on an autocom pro m1, but don't know if I wanna get that or wait for a more permanent setup I can afford later. I definitely want bike to bike comms but rider/pillion is most important

Call Keith at Tulsa truck supply he is one of the biggest distributors in the country and he rides. He has about 6 bikes all through his shop. Get on the phone with him and he will tell you what you need after you tell him what you want. As an avid rider and previous owner of 3 busas he understands.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Back