Frame slider install question

Jonny Hotnuts

Registered
Does anyone have any tips on getting the holes drilled in the correct location? I would like them to be perfectly centered in the holes but can’t see the bolt location with the plastic on.
I have the correct hole saw but not sure where to pilot.

The instructions from Vortex Racing really blow. They say install the short bolt one on the left and do one at a time......that’s it.

Thanks for any info

-JH

I ain't done it myself....but putting grease pencil or even heavy grease on the bolt before pressing the panels up against it, should leave a mark inside the panel to show you where to drill. Or search the threads for Bullettrain's install tips....his look real good!

How I did  mine, came out perfect.

I used two bolts the same thread size as the mount. Cut the heads off of them & ground the head end to a point. Install in the mount holes & leave them stick out about 1/2 inch. Remove the foam from the inside of the left side fairing. Reinstall the fairings completely (this is important, use all bolts & fasteners so it is aligned properly). Slap both fairings with the palm of your hand at the mount area. Remove the fairings & you will have a center punch mark in the back side exactly on center. Use a 1/8 drill bit from the back side as a pilot, then a 1/4 for your hole saw pilot. I covered the painted side with a lot of masking tape to keep shavings off the paint. Used wood blocking to support the back side & drilled wiith the hole saw from the paint side.

I used the bolt that came with the fairing and screwed it into the engine mount hole. Then placed grease on the top of the bolt and replaced the fairing. Removed the foam from the fairing prior to replacement. A very nice shape of the head of the bolt was left and I drilled a small hole to verify. Then took the slider and outlined the shape and began using my Dremel to cut the fairing very slowly and carefully. Worked like a champ!

I used the bolt that came with the fairing and screwed it into the engine mount hole.  Then placed grease on the top of the bolt and replaced the fairing.  Removed the foam from the fairing prior to replacement.  A very nice shape of the head of the bolt was left and I drilled a small hole to verify.  Then took the slider and outlined the shape and began using my Dremel to cut the fairing very slowly and carefully.  Worked like a champ!
I used the same method as BigBS except I used a drill mounted hole saw to cut the big hole and then worked it a little larger with the dremel.

If I had it to do again I'd do it like Churchkey layed it out.

Not easy to determine how much bolt to leave out, in order to make the mark, so I did the grease marking which got me close enough, then drilled a 1/2" hole, then put the bolt in and hand finished the hole size with the bolt installed, which made my clearance hole perfectly concentric to the engine mount bolt. On another note, I also did a custom made slider, and only had to make the hole 1" in diameter and that was nice to not have to put a 1 7/8' diameter hole in my plastic. I am not done with the sliders quite yet, planning on posting a thread when they are complete with pics and also going to make some more for anyone that wants them here, have enough Delrin stock to make about 15 or 20 sets, and using carbon fiber tubing to enhance the outer diameter looks and then an anodized slider end cap. They are going to look really sweet, and the best part is they are stronger and very effective in protecting the entire bike. Here is the thread I started awhile back for more details. and here are the anodized end caps (I used the gold ones for my orange anniv)

<!--EDIT|Dr Geekenstein
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088694475 -->

Back