Pardini

Donating Member
Registered
Lifted from BARF.

Keith Code
Veteran

Motorcycles: 27 BMW S1000RRs --OMG
Name: S1000RR Training Bikes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not to be trusted since BMW is our new bike sponsor and we'll have a truck load of the new S1Ks for our coaches and students. Keep that in mind. I've only ridden the bike at The Streets of Willow which may be the shortest track in the country with the most turns, 1.7 mi X 14 bends.

To say the bike is deceptively quick is an understatement. The main reason being the utter smoothness of the power delivery. I read one of the posts from Portomao about riding it in 6th only...confirmed, it feels that torqey. Same with the comments about it feeling similar to an R6 between your legs. I had a little bit of comparative data on 1000s at Streets. When Motorcyclist had the new ones there, the 1198, R1 and GSXR recently I got to ride them. My impression of the bike's behavior was a similar feeling to what I think is the best handling 600, the new CBR.

My pre-production S1K didn't have any of the electronics, it was the raw bike and still it didn't intimidate me. There was a slightly too aggressive coming on the throttle surge which, apparently, doesn't exist on the DTC version in the other 3 settings.

I'm not sure it was mentioned already, didn't read every word of all that has been posted but: the bike started out with 213 hp and has been tuned down twice to it's current 193. I'm not sure if that means parts or electronics but I'd like to find out. If it was only the chip, that would be the cheapest horsepower in the history of sport bikes. Ultra cool for track day guys to have a bike with 600 feel and dial-your-choice power characteristics you can set on the fly. I guess I'm pumped to have them.

Keith

Good for Keith. :thumbsup: He's a really nice guy.
Now, watch those piles breakdown a lot. Special tools, parts delay... OK, so I'm assuming.

Good for Keith. :thumbsup: He's a really nice guy.
Now, watch those piles breakdown a lot. Special tools, parts delay... OK, so I'm assuming.
Oh I would hope you are wrong there.... eeek...

Historically, how has BMW reliability been on their bikes?

what I found interesting that they "de-tuned" the bike twice to get the power "down" to 183 rwhp.. (they did the same thing in the bi-turbo 335XI, under-rated the actual power output)

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/bmw-s1000rr-engine-cutaway-eicma/

you know what looks good? they went with rocker arms!! no shims to deal with :) looks like the same setup they use in the inline 6's very cool.. (should be lighter than the bucket shim setup)

Last edited:
At what point does more power become useless to the vast majoeiry of us weekend riders?
I pretty much never get the chance to really open up my gen 1 Busa. I can't inagine what I'd do with still more power. It would be wasted on me.

CW

I owned 2 BMW's. One used, the other brand new. Both had trans problems. Brass metal shavings each time I drained the gear box. Special tools to install seals... And now this:

BMW S1000RR group test: "An exciting and surprising bike" - | Motorcycle News | New Motorbikes | Buyers Guides | MCN

Cross-plane torque gets you from corner to coner, not HP. Busa has the torque well over 100lbs. The BMW has about 86 pounds of rung out rpm.

And if they do not qualify at the top in world superbike... :moon: How embarrassing is that flagship is a sinking set of rock gear arms. Detuned my rump pull stilt skins. :laugh: We shall see.

9th and a DNF for the BMW. Troy is no slouch: http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/latest-results/1218-portimao-superbike-race-2.html

Last edited:
Well with any luck... by this time next year? should have some good info on durability and performance...

Transmission could be a real deal breaker... Need to check with Steve and see if his MI state buddies have had any problems with the patrol bikes..

Seems they would be considered "severe" duty and might uncover inherent transmission issues..

I can tell you first wont be outrunning these bikes with the busa..

The BMW's we ran with at Deals gap were not slouches by any definition and they were not even the "hot rods"

I've been to two California Superbike Schools, one the high-priced two day and a single day session. Both used Ninja ZX-6R's, the 636 and 600, respectively. They put out about 113 HP and this was way more than enough for a school where technique, more than speed, is the focus.

With 183 - 193 HP BMW's now being used I foresee an increase in crashes, off track excursions and general white knuckle riding. VIR should be hair-raising; the back straightaway is 4000 feet long with a nice turn for acceleration at the beginning. If I go for it I'll do it in the two-day school where only 14 or so riders are on the track at a given time. Fewer worries about others doing the stupid things that I do.

I've been to two California Superbike Schools, one the high-priced two day and a single day session. Both used Ninja ZX-6R's, the 636 and 600, respectively. They put out about 113 HP and this was way more than enough for a school where technique, more than speed, is the focus.

With 183 - 193 HP BMW's now being used I foresee an increase in crashes, off track excursions and general white knuckle riding. VIR should be hair-raising; the back straightaway is 4000 feet long with a nice turn for acceleration at the beginning. If I go for it I'll do it in the two-day school where only 14 or so riders are on the track at a given time. Fewer worries about others doing the stupid things that I do.

I'm sure the thought is that the lean angle sensor will prevent riders from stepping out in the corners. If your past the lean angle limit and whack the throttle wide open nothing happens. The bike won't accelerate until you stand it up. (If you pay for the DTC option.)

Well with any luck... by this time next year? should have some good info on durability and performance...

Transmission could be a real deal breaker... Need to check with Steve and see if his MI state buddies have had any problems with the patrol bikes..

Seems they would be considered "severe" duty and might uncover inherent transmission issues..

I can tell you first wont be outrunning these bikes with the busa..

The BMW's we ran with at Deals gap were not slouches by any definition and they were not even the "hot rods"

Not sure I follow the gen2 busa won't outrun them how, road race,drag race,LSR? Road racing I get the advantage goes to the liter bike the rest ????

Last edited:
I remember reading an early article and it quoted a BMW
rep and he stated something along the lines of
"220hp is easily capable with this motor but it wont be
availible till the technology is there to put all that power to
ground."

So yeah...I do believe they stepped the power down to 183rwhp.

For the ultimate uber bike they did not do so well in world superbike 09. Most of the test riders estimate the rwh in the low 170's I think that allot of people are putting allot of stock in one dyno test on one bike. I have no doubt it is an impressive machine however I believe most of what you are hearing is just magazine hype.

Same could be said for a Busa. I remember my Cycle world issue when the Busa came out. Some said 165rwhp was an exaggerated figure. Guess we'll see.

As far as beating a Busa, shouldn't be that hard. Around a track or at the strip, stock for stock especially if the HP figures are correct.

Same could be said for a Busa. I remember my Cycle world issue when the Busa came out. Some said 165rwhp was an exaggerated figure. Guess we'll see.

As far as beating a Busa, shouldn't be that hard. Around a track or at the strip, stock for stock especially if the HP figures are correct.

I will easily concede that it will spank the busa on a road race track but the gen2 busa ain't an easy mark to beat any where else. I have not seen any info from the magazines at all about it's 0-60 1/4 mile ET or top speed Does any one else find this odd. It is all theoretical at this time based solely on one dyno test on one bike. And as far as top speed stock on stock unrestricted, well I don't think we will be seeing any 204 mph passes from the beemer. The fastest speed I have been able to dig up is 187mph posted on corser's factory race bike and an estimated 180mph on a stock bike, thats 5th gear on a Gen2 Busa. A fast bike on paper is just that a fast piece of paper.

Last edited:
You guys should watch the "Twist of Wrist" DVD's by Keith Code... really good info...
My friend has one of his books, says it's also pretty good.

They are both available online if you know how to look for them...

Back