Dropping 1 tooth on front sprocket

aowash

Registered
I have an 06' Busa and dropped a tooth on my front sprocket. Now my bike doesn't feel nearly as powerful as it was and lost way more mid-range then I thought I would. The guys that I normally pull against from mid-range to top end are pulling away from me left and right. I knew that I would lose top end but d@mn!!!!! mid-range to??? Did anyone else feel the same, rather have the same result after dropping one tooth in the front? and if so please tell me how to fix it or I am going back to the OEM 17 tooth front sprocket.

This isn't my thing, but I believe most go down 1 up front and up two in the rear for better low end. Of course you'll top out earlier :whistle:

Yea, some of my buddies do have that setup -1 front and +2 back, and they do have major torque, gues I thought I could get a little extra low end from just going down a tooth and was wrong. Sound like back to OEM 17 tooth.

Yea, some of my buddies do have that setup -1 front and +2 back, and they do have major torque, gues I thought I could get a little extra low end from just going down a tooth and was wrong. Sound like back to OEM 17 tooth.

It's your ride, you have the front and the back is way easier to change and not that expensive. You might want to go +2 in the rear and give it a try :thumbsup:

Yea, I just might have to, everyone that I ride with that does have the -1/+2 setup has a pretty nasty take off and scream until they hit their top out, just might try that.

Yea, I just might have to, everyone that I ride with that does have the -1/+2 setup has a pretty nasty take off and scream until they hit their top out, just might try that.

Dayum I hit 170 and that was it :rofl:

It doesn't make any sense that one tooth down up front lost you midrange and slowed you down? I did like most and went one down up front..big change for the better. My busa pulled MUCH harder everywhere. Now I'm 1 down/2 up and it absolutely CRUSHES my buds stocker from down low to top end. I'm sure if we ran till they quit pulling he might creep by on top, but he's so far back by the time we shut down its really ridiculous :rofl: His bike feels slow as molasses compared to mine, we're talking sad slow :laugh:
The stock gearing on the gen1 busa is way too tall to have fun with :banghead:

Was it a nice amount of low and mid-range added. I mean does it pull until it dies? because just -1 in the front pulls and dies a mid-range and is nothing at top end.
Pulls like a scolded Falcon. Of course I have the fastest color so that could contribute also. Org/Blk.

I wouldn't suggest running -3 on the front. Too much stress on the chain.

-3 Front and +1 Rear..... Wheelie Machine.

Do they even make a 14t front??? Plus you would tach about 6+Rs at 55mph, thats just nuts. That small of a front sprocket would let the chain rub the arm at the arm/frame pivot area too?

Last edited:
I'm +1, -1 and it's the SH!D !!!!! Locomotive power that keeps on going......as long as I get the launch.....I'm gone ! :super:

Yeah 14 is not ideal I'm changing it out soon actually.

Probably 16/42 now that I know I can lift her off the ground

It doesn't rub though! Blows through chain wax like you wouldn't believe ha ha
Posted via Mobile Device

I did not lose pull after installing my 16t.......it pulls all the way to the top.

You better count the teeth on that front sprocket. I have changed the front sprocket on the last 4 bikes I have owned and everyone of them showed a huge improvement in acceleration. I noticed you have a TRE which should remove the top end limiter so your top end shouldnt be much different. Gearingcommander.com shows speed at redline in 6th gear at 192.4 with a -1 in the front. Did you change anything else when you installed the front sprocket ?

You better count the teeth on that front sprocket. I have changed the front sprocket on the last 4 bikes I have owned and everyone of them showed a huge improvement in acceleration. I noticed you have a TRE which should remove the top end limiter so your top end shouldnt be much different. Gearingcommander.com shows speed at redline in 6th gear at 192.4 with a -1 in the front. Did you change anything else when you installed the front sprocket ?

+1, I'd recount both sprockets to verify, ratios are ratios, lower is lower. Also, +1 do not go to small up front. Changing the final drive ratio can have unintended results, like tear up swingarm bearings, cush drives, unexpected loss of traction etc. Everything has a tradeoff. I landed on my butt in reddog first time I dropped a tooth on a countershaft sprocket :banghead: Cr125, Loved the new lift though, sheared all the bolts in the rear next.....

Back