Ordered new cruise control today...

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Ordered a cruise control that will maintain actual speeds by adjusting the throttle once you set it. I should have it tomorrow and will take some pics and let you guys know how it works out. I rode Trekki's bike and it has one and I loved it...

Here is a link to where I ordered it.

LINK TO WEBSITE

my beater car (97 grand am gt) had that exact unit on it when i bought it in 2000. I also saw one on a zzr1200.

He'll install it, and we'll be chasing out of Reno to Elko to get him Friday afternoon..... :oldcool: Gettin' close to The Stampede folks..... :super: Mine's ready....

remind me to remind you, DO NOT use a test light on the CC when doing the install, potentially very bad for the CC brain.

I have the vacuum servo version of that on Luci. Love it and use it alot. 3 years, no problems.

That one is on my whish list for mods.

Don't for get to post picts and your review of the install as well as the function of the cc.

Have you not learned to stay away from electronics?:laugh:

Let us know how it works Cap.

I have been around bikes for all my life, and have seen many accidents that come with the territory. Before I tell this story, I do not wish to discourage your new purchase of a cruise control, as I am sure you will be a more responsible user of the unit than some of the people I've seen in the past.

Also, I would like to add a disclaimer that I did not encourage the misuse of these units in these situations. Anyway, I feel the need to tell a short story or two.

I know a fella who installed a similar unit on his cruiser. Went to do a burn out (not on the road but near some other bikes he almost knocked down) and the cruise unit clicked in. When he let off the throttle and thought the bike was going to settle, it launched instead. The bike was still on cruise mode and the rear tire was still going wide open. The bike did a donut, we had to run over and help him get the bike stood up and shut down.

Another guy I saw install a unit on his TL1000. I didn't like riding with this fella much because I think he was into some things we didn't approve of...anyway, fate has it we end up behind him on the interstate one night after dark. He had just installed the cruise control unit on his bike that day and decided to try it out for the first time. We're cruising at 60mph for a few miles and all of a sudden this ------- stands up on his seat and becomes Super Man. Needless to say, this didn't turn out well. He ends up falling off his bike, rolling down the road in the middle lane. I slam on the brakes to avoid hitting his body (my wife is riding with me). His bike is still going down the road on cruise control at 60 mph until it veers off into the median and hits a bridge pillar. I went home and got a trailer and helped him get his bike home. I never road with this fool since.

If this wasn't a family forum I'd have included a few choice names, LoL.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Didn't mean to get the thread sidetracked, but wanted to share experience.

Let us know how it works Cap.

I have been around bikes for all my life, and have seen many accidents that come with the territory. Before I tell this story, I do not wish to discourage your new purchase of a cruise control, as I am sure you will be a more responsible user of the unit than some of the people I've seen in the past.

Also, I would like to add a disclaimer that I did not encourage the misuse of these units in these situations. Anyway, I feel the need to tell a short story or two.

I know a fella who installed a similar unit on his cruiser. Went to do a burn out (not on the road but near some other bikes he almost knocked down) and the cruise unit clicked in. When he let off the throttle and thought the bike was going to settle, it launched instead. The bike was still on cruise mode and the rear tire was still going wide open. The bike did a donut, we had to run over and help him get the bike stood up and shut down.

Another guy I saw install a unit on his TL1000. I didn't like riding with this fella much because I think he was into some things we didn't approve of...anyway, fate has it we end up behind him on the interstate one night after dark. He had just installed the cruise control unit on his bike that day and decided to try it out for the first time. We're cruising at 60mph for a few miles and all of a sudden this ------- stands up on his seat and becomes Super Man. Needless to say, this didn't turn out well. He ends up falling off his bike, rolling down the road in the middle lane. I slam on the brakes to avoid hitting his body (my wife is riding with me). His bike is still going down the road on cruise control at 60 mph until it veers off into the median and hits a bridge pillar. I went home and got a trailer and helped him get his bike home. I never road with this fool since.

If this wasn't a family forum I'd have included a few choice names, LoL.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it. Didn't mean to get the thread sidetracked, but wanted to share experience.

No burnouts, no superman... Both sound like bad decisions started the disastrous events.....

I'm old now so I have settled down a bit...

Have you not learned to stay away from electronics?:laugh:

I took the bike to the dealership yesterday to get tires put on and while it was there they looked at the factory recall that was "Completed" at another dealership. It wasn't done correctly and they found the harness was bent in half. They think that the harness being pinched the way it was could be the problem. Time will tell for sure but they did go ahead and replace the whole assembly for me.....

And I have new shoes on Sandra Dee!

I've never had a problem with the cruise control coming on by itself.

I'm positive it was user error.

I'm sure there are thousands out there that enjoy using them every day. Just don't hit the wrong thing while showing off, LoL

HHmmm, maybe that was a moral... :lol:

Back