Installing SS Brake Lines, Messed up & need Help...

BoricuaBusa33

Formerly "oneilldn"
Registered
Hello guys, I need some help here...

I was installing SS brakelines, so you know how they go two from the master cylinder, But It seems the bold was really tight to screw back on, so I thought it was normal, until it broke. now half of the bolt is in the master cyclinder.
Did I do something wrong? I was trying to install the bolt with the two holes... that's the right one right? If it is, why it was so thight and broke?
Do I need a new master cylinder now? Man, I suck at this.... :banghead:

Those banjo bolts come in 2 different thread sizes.
I'll bet they sent you the wrong one.
You should be able to easy-out the broken piece and get a tap of the right sizre and clean out the threads.
Make sure you flush it out so as not to get any little pieces in the system.
Good Luck!

You either had the wrong bolt, or you cross threaded it.

A tap is a small tool that looks a little bit like a screw, but has open areas on the "threads" that allow you to repair the threaded opening if it doesnt have too much damage.

No offense to you, but it sounds as if you may need to get someone elses help with this. Not trying to knock you for your abilities at all, dont get me wrong, but if you dont know what a tap is, you may want to enlist the help of someone near you who knows, and you can learn from them.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the board can chime in and help you out in person to get you back on the road.

You either had the wrong bolt, or you cross threaded it.

A tap is a small tool that looks a little bit like a screw, but has open areas on the "threads" that allow you to repair the threaded opening if it doesnt have too much damage.

No offense to you, but it sounds as if you may need to get someone elses help with this. Not trying to knock you for your abilities at all, dont get me wrong, but if you dont know what a tap is, you may want to enlist the help of someone near you who knows, and you can learn from them.

Where are you located? Maybe someone on the board can chime in and help you out in person to get you back on the road.

No offense taken... my primary language is spanish...LOL, now I know what it is....But still don't know what we call it in spanish....lol, So I guess I could buy a Tap in Home Depot? and what side? How about a new banjo bolt?

Last edited:
Don't sweat it even if you did damage the front brake master cylinder. A used one should be easy and fairly cheap to get if you need to replace it. Check ebay.

I got my Stainless lines from these guys:
Spiegler Brake Line Accessories
They are really helpful.
Give them a call and tell them what you did and they will hook you up with the part you need.

This is a pic of an easy-out. Basically goes in the hole of the broken off piece and when you twist it in the reverse, it grabs the inside of the broken piece and allows you to remove it.

This is a pic of a tap and handle that holds it:
When you phone the Spiegler guys ask them what the thread size of the banjo bolt is, and that is the size of the tap.
To use it, start to screw it in and go about 1 turn then back ½ turn the forward ¾ of a turn and back ½ turn and repeat. It is cutting new threads, so the backing out allows the tool to clean itself of the material it has just cut.
If you do it, get the manual and take the whole master cylinder apart and then cut the new threads, clean it very well and put it back together.
Once you are done you will be surprised how easy it was.
Go to a store that deals in nuts and bolts and they will have both of these tools.
Good luck!

1.jpg

2.jpg

800px-Tap_and_T-wrench.jpg

Last edited:
You can also try the place you got your lines for another banjo bolt.
They may also be able to tell you the size.

Easy out set. Can be found most tool supply places including Sears. Here's a link so you know what you looking for. Is where i bought my set.
- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

*note -- When drilling keep a steady hand and drill straight into the bolt. The fact that you possibly used an over sized bolt might end up costing you a new master cylinder. Reason is you forced a new bolt in to the point of breaking. Lets hope not though.

Good Luck!

Becareful brakes is the last thing you want to be learning by yourself.

I guess I'm buying a master cylinder,,,that sucker is thight... even the easy out broke....:whistle:

Man,,,, what a waste of nice weather...:banghead::banghead:

I guess I'm buying a master cylinder,,,that sucker is thight... even the easy out broke....:whistle:

Man,,,, what a waste of nice weather...:banghead::banghead:

Good choice.
The new cylinder will provide an extra level of reliability.
You don't want that thing to fail, if it was that tight.
There was one for sale yesterday, in the classifieds here.

you did have 2 brake lines installed at the master as well correct?

i think the same thing has happened to me. ordered the front and rear galfer lines but the banjo bolts seem to be the wrong pitch (fit tight wont screw in) do i need to A. order new bolts or B. re-use old ones with new washers. reason i asked is that i noticed the newer bolts have smaller holes ???

i think the same thing has happened to me. ordered the front and rear galfer lines but the banjo bolts seem to be the wrong pitch (fit tight wont screw in) do i need to A. order new bolts or B. re-use old ones with new washers. reason i asked is that i noticed the newer bolts have smaller holes ???

I had that happen with my clutch line. It was a fine thread instead of a course. I just used my old one. I plan on calling them for the correct one when I get a chance but for now I'd rather be on the road.

Back