Question About Dampener

IbLeEdGrn

Registered
I had my bike apart yesterday, and i have never really looked into the steering dampener, however upon inspection I noticed it has some play...

Vertically the dampener moves about 1/4 and inch. it doesn't move at all horizontally (which I would think is most important). i checked all bolts and fasteners and they were tight.

Has anyone else seen this before? Is it normal?

Thanks for the help!!!

Good deal thank you!

Further, would anyone recommend a different dampener? what would be the advantage?

There are two little plastic bushings, one on either side of the damper yoke. The caps keep the dust and dirt out of the ball joint. If you have never replaced these, it may be time to do so?

Advantage to having an aftermarket stabilizer is adjustability and more progressive pressure. If you want to go the cheap route and you feel you need to, you can put heavier weight oil in the stabilizer to stiffen it up. It'll make it a ***** in parking lots or any low speed situation though. I have never had a problem with my stock one.

If nothing else, my new adjustable damper has really raised my awareness of steering sensitivity. I actually dial it up or down for twisties, interstate, etc.
It's an expensive mod but if you're keeping your bike, a quality handling aid.
Raydog

P1020465.JPG

Back