HELP! After fuel pump disassembled to clean, bike won't start

Mr Droo

Registered
2005, slip-ons, 4,5XX miles, second owner.

Bike has been bucking a bit in 2nd or 3rd gear. Thought I might take the tank off and the fuel pump out to see if there was anything clogging it up.

Took the tank off, without the bracket, using the 4 bolts. Took the pump out, took it mostly apart. The three screws near the bottom... I think I put them back "Black/Red/Blue" There was another black lead that was significantly shorter, and I screwed it to one of the posts that hold it together, (one of the posts that slides into the black plastic.)

The strainer and bottom reservoir area where the strainer sits was pretty gross, so I cleaned that out. I didn't touch the gas float or anything there. I took everything else apart though.

I put it all back together as I think I could.

I put the tank back on, plug the harness in, as well as the fuel line. Then I re-attach the two rubber lines at the ass end of the tank and route them back where they go.

I turn the key, I hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds, and I hit the starter. It starts for about a second and a half, then it shuts off. I try this a few more times, and then prop the tank back up. I check the fuel line, and it's not kinked. I check the drain lines, and they're straight. I made sure all the connections that need to be connected are. I didn't mess with the tip over sensor, but I flicked it a few times to make sure the ring was centered.

Before taking the tank off and checking the pump, the bike started just fine. It never stalled either, even when riding it. I just wanted to check to see why it was bucking in lower gears at about 4k rpm.

The fuel pump is making a deeper noise than it has before, but I thought it might be doing that because I cleaned the nasty strainer.

I don't know what to do. Someone help.

I'm guessing you had to drain the fuel out of the tank before you removed the pump. Did you put fuel back in before trying to start it? I'm just sayin'. :whistle:

Absolutely. I drained the tank of about 3 gallons into a fuel container. It was all clear, so I put it back in when I put the tank back on.

Are you sure you connected everything correctly? If your not sure, take it apart and start over... maybe you will find something. Good luck!

PM sent Misery.

I went out and took it all apart again.... The pump has some rust on it, and frankly, it looked trashed. Ugh... It was running this morning before I decided to work on it.

Where is the online manual for 2001-2007? The 1999-2000 manual doesn't have the fuel pump info I need!

Last edited:
Here is what I think you need from my 2006 manual:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

check to be sure you hooked the tipover switch back up or make sure it's in the up position and tabs not bent..

Thanks S-R & Mike for the pics. I put it back the same way it shows in the pictures. Golden, I didn't mess with the tipover switch at all. I took the tank off via the 4 screws... I did, however, check the tipover switch after putting the tank back on, just as a good measure. The tabs are not bent and I flicked it to make sure the ring was centered inside the box.

I double/triple checked all my wiring and hoses, all are connected. I wonder if I messed the pump up by taking it apart... maybe knocked something loose inside it or something.

Just for information: The battery is charged, the pump operates (a different sound than normal, but still strong), I hear the click near the rear of the bike after the pump runs, the starter engages but dies shortly after (about a second and a half), there is half a tank of fresh fuel in it, the tipover sensor is upright and tabs are not bent, all hoses and wire harnesses are connected. Bike ran before I took the pump out.

Where is the starter relay? Is it the little box on the left side behind the battery with a fuse? If it is, the fuse there is still good. If it was a bad ground, would anything work?

that's it but the ground on your battery or the wire to start may be loose.

Back