Back over by a Semi-truck on my busa,

Nomax1300

Registered
Hello Everyone,
What an end to a lousy day, My wife and I was headed in to town, here in Southern IL. On our road there is an Asphalt Plant and the large semi's hauling gravel come in and out of it. So this semi is waiting to pull out, and turn on Route 14 and I pull up behind him and put my feet down, then it starts rolling backward and then I hear the back-up alarm so I lay on the horn and back peddle, my wife bails off the back. I don't leave my baby and hope he stops, he keeps coming and knocks the bike down and me, then he stops. So I get get up and start running towards the cab. The only thing I can hear is loud music, I beat on the door, and I yell at him"You backed over me and my bike" He says he didn't even see or hear us. The good thing is me and my wife are fine, Our Baby, 08 Blue and black with only 750 miles on it, is
very scratched up now.It Scratched the headlight and cowl, the right side fairing, the muffler and mirror. It didn't mess up the forks or anything mechanical, Just cosmetic. We were lucky and blessed, it could have been worse. From now on I will make sure they see me in there mirrors. :please:

I will post some pictures as soon as I get the battery for our camera.

Very thankful to be alive, I hope his insurance is good

Jim :cursin:

WOW...glad that you and the wife are ok.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hello Everyone,
Very thankful to be alive, I hope his insurance is good

Jim :cursin:

Well 10-4 on that...

He'll probably lose his job. If it's not 'automatic' in your state, it should be.

What a drag, bro. Good luck...demand OEM parts!!!

Glad you're ok.

Clutch jokeys are the worst! These jokers should never be allowed to get behind the wheel of a manual vehicle ever! I've had a few ocasions where I thought one of the dopes was going to back into my truck. Thankfully my truck horn is louder than my Busa..... but I feel for you brother.

Last edited:
Glad you guys are safe. I always pull out to the drivers side of the vehicle in front just a little and keep a good eye in the rear views.

I cant really say what I would have done. That would make it "pre-meditated":whistle:

what a bummer, just glad you and your wife are ok, sounds like you kept your composure better than I would have...

Glad you and yours are OK!!
Do not back down from the BS that the Asphalt Plant owner(s) will undoubtedly try to feed you! Settle for nothing less that a brand new busa and then some! You could have been killed!! A good lawyer would be salavating to get his hands on this case!!

Yikes! Glad nobody was hurt. I saw a close call like that one day & I always make it a point to: 1. stay back far enough that I think I have room to manuver (foreward) , say ditch off the berm, if they back up, & 2. stay off to the side so I am in the mirrors. I watched a guy at work backpetal his 125 about 50 feet in a hurry one day, good thing no one was behind him to block or the "gopher" would have been toast. At speed terrible things can emerge from behind the beasts so I stay off as well.

Wow, that could have been much worse. Glad you and your wife are okay.

Wow, very glad you and your wife escaped without harm. I know you must be sick about your baby though. Hopefully there won't be a hassle and insurance will make her like new eventually.

Settle for nothing less that a brand new busa and then some! You could have been killed!! A good lawyer would be salavating to get his hands on this case!!

Only problem with this is there probably isn't any way to prove fault of the driver (even though it sounds like it was). Most trailers have a warning on them that state if you are too close, the driver can't see you in his/her mirrors. I'm sure the driver will just say Jim had pulled up center and deep behind the trailer, instead of back and off to the right/left for sight of the mirrors.

Hope all works out Jim.
Scott

Glad you guys are both alright. +1,000 on "back far enough" and "in view of the driver's mirrors", though. Being prepared for anything and an ounce of prevention....

Thanks everyone, we are blessed, it could have been much worse. It just one of those things that happen. Wrong place and the wrong time.

We were at the local "Blessing of the Bikes" 2 weeks ago and we got our blessing!

What really is bad, I got my break-in oil out 2 weeks ago, took my time and made sure, no scratches on the fairing, and now it's trashed.

Jim

Sorry to hear about your bike. If you couldn't seehis mirrors, you are just as much in the wrong. They have warnings posted on most truck trailers to warn you to stay out of the blind spots. The best you can probaby do is getting the bike fixed. The "sue the crap out of them" BS is a 'something for nothing' attitude that helped cause our current national woes.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you are ok... if you hear the backup horn, he must have put it in reverse.. wow.. your wife had the right idea...get the hell out of the way..

During testing, if a truck rolls backwards at all during a stop from a light (hill or no hill) you get failed.. During training we beat it into every new drivers head.. DO NOT ROLL BACKWARDS... What I am curious about is the "backup" alarm.. they usually require a transmission be put in reverse.. any driver that would backup with out making sure it path was clear? not good..

On the other side of the coin.. I never stop directly behind anyone that can not see me there.. I run to the far left or right of the lane when I get tucked in behind trucks or people that can not see out the back of their vehicle.. (work vans etc)

On the other side of the coin.. I never stop directly behind anyone that can not see me there.. I run to the far left or right of the lane when I get tucked in behind trucks or people that can not see out the back of their vehicle.. (work vans etc)[/QUOTE]

+1 so very true

Back