Replacing...(oil, air/oil filter, spark plugs)

casualdreamer

Registered
K, I have been back home for some time and taken the mistress out for short rides. (You know taking it safe, getting use to her) I checked the oil when I came back, looked fine, all looked well but I have had this bike for over 2 yrs now and i know it it time to start replacing old with new. I have changed the oil according to specs and filters still have original brake fluid in and stock chain and sprockets. New baby has been born so that bike has been placed in the trailer to spend time with the family for awhile and it gives me an excuse to start replacing parts. (Would have done it sooner but have been deploying constantly in the Marine Corp and can't seem to stay off the thing long enough to do anything to her.) In the past 2 yrs that I have had her I have been deployed 3 times 6-9 months terms. What should I be looking for to replace. Beside the obviously engine oil. I only have just over 6000 miles on her. Engine runs great I have noticed last week that I have a slight head shake when I am going about 35-55 and let go of the bars. They wiggle slightly nothing to freak me out but I know that it might not suppose to do that. Turning feels great no shakes, decel feels good same for accelerations. I don't know. Should I just to a complete fluid change with her.

I am going with the Brocks short meg exhaust package deal that comes with new wish bones, lowering strap for the front, new front sprocket clutch mod the works I guess. It says it takes stock bike and makes it fast.)

Going to get new brakes/pads, new steel brake lines, I would like a GPR stabilizer. Have read good reviews on it. (Do I completely take off the stock stablilizer off when it do that.) I have gotten new tires 9 months ago. She has been store in a trailer 7 months (this past deployment). I am looking to make a daily rider plus a track bike on some weekends and also love the twisties. A never-ending project I know. But I am looking for the best for her. I read and search her quite often and I got a general idea which way to go. But I feel so clustered and don't know where to start. I am guess I should start with replacing all the fluids. What do I use? I am using Royal Purple for the engine oil. What spark plugs do I go to. Should I upgrade the starter. Anything I shoud look for to start acting up now due to on again off again for frequently. I have taken all the fairings off and going to clean everything in the moring. Scrub the engine down. Clean all the hoses. I am looking to upgrade all the mechanics parts except interneal engine. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. I will put pics up of the progress I am making for sure. Thanks fellas and ladies. Thanks also for the congrats on the new member to the org. Baby Girl her name is Kylie Renee Willams. 8lbs 1 oz. Goodnight...

Last edited:
Congrats on the baby. :cheerleader:

If your bike has been sitting that long I would flush the radiator first. Get rid of all that gunk in the overflow reservoir. Check your air filter and wash it if its K&N. Check spark plugs too. If they need to be changed, I would stick to the NGk CR9E (stock). Replace your clutch and brake fluid too. I use DOT4 for clutch, and DOT 5.1 for brake, but DOT4 for braking will be fine too. Royal Purple is fine for engine oil. Dont forget to run some fuel injection cleaner.

Balance your front tire and you wont get that "head shake." while your at it, balance the rear. Then lube the front & rear axle. Check the bearings. Chain.

Last edited:
Thanks... This is going to be that stress releaver for me if things get to hetic with the little one. Thanks for the advice yet again. Any other suggestions will help. I will try that balance on the tires this week..

Check the maintenance schedule. Fluids have time as well as mileage requirements. Air filter should be alright unless you hit dirt roads or live in an area that has a lot of sand blowing around and bugs flying around. It might need to be cleaned.

Back