Question - Please don't laugh!

HRHDi

Dont Call Me "MeeMaw"
Donating Member
Registered
As some of you know, I have a 2004 Yamaha V-star 650. Her name is Ingrid and she's a lovely motorcylce. Here's the issue - I'm a very...anxious rider...and don't ride very often. I suspect this is due to the fact that my first bike, a Bandit 1200S, was waaaaaay too big for me. I dropped it a couple of times and it scared me. I traded down to the 650 to get a bike more suited to my experience.

Every spring I promise myself that I'll ride more and every spring/summer/fall, I find reasons not to. I want to enjoy riding as much as I enjoy being a passenger, but I feel terrible that this wonderful motorcycle is languishing in the garage. I'm seriously considering selling it and getting...here's where you're all going to laugh...a little 150cc scooter.

I want to love to ride, but I just think that I'm intimidated by the size and power of a regular bike. I've taken the MTS course and know what I'm supposed to do. I kind of feel like I'm wimping out. What do you all think?

BTW - Dan has been wonderful through this. He's told me to do what I want...either ride it or sell it...he doesn't mind which one. Just so I'm doing what I want.

Last edited:
only you know what you need to do and you should never do something you are uncomfortable with just because you think that is what others expect...would you actually ride a scooter or maybe a 250 Rebel instead of letting the larger bike sit in the garage or would you talk yourself out of it too? if you would, i would vote to get what you are comfortable with for now so you will actually get out and practice and then move back up to the larger bike when you are ready...just my :2cents:

Get the scooter and it might give you more confidence on riding and then get another bike later on if you feel you want to. :thumbsup:

btw, my first street bike was 450 cc's and that was after riding minibikes and dirt bikes for years...no laughter coming from me :beerchug:

Diana, time in the saddle will quell a lot of those thoughts. While you need to use your brain when you make your choices, (how many cc's is for me and so on), riding can be the utimate high. Highly addictive activity for some.

:thumbsup:

My wife rides a BMW650CS. The riding position is more upright, and the bike is very light. The more you ride it the more in control you'll feel. If you think it's too big, find a way to lay it on it's side without damaging it, and see if you can pick it up (you learned that in class, right?) If you can, they THAT should give you some confidence. Good luck! You'd be bored to death on a tiny-bore bike...

Funny you should bring this up.
My wife did the MSF training and got her license (full M1 in Ca) and then rode a 150 Milan Scooter for about 4 months. The nights and days grew short and I asked her to stop until they returned to more daylight hours of riding as I was very nervous about a new rider in the dark.
Then I bought the Busa and gave her my 600 Bandit. From the first day she started riding the Bandit she was (and is) trying to sell the Milan.
She is still learning the Bandit and has a way to go, but she is ready at this time.
My point is that you should build up to the size of the machine you are comfortable with.
If you are willing to keep the larger bike and get something to learn on then I suggest a used scooter (much cheaper and you will probably get rid of it sooner anyway) and ride it until you outgrow it, which you will find comes quickly!
Bubba

I would honestly try and ride the Vstar more. The more miles you put on one, the more comfortable you become with it. At first, all new bikes feel a bit wierd until you get used to them, and with miles comes confidence. If you still feel your Vstar is just too much bike for you, then maybe look into a used Ninja 500R or 650R. If you log enough miles on either of the Ninjas, you should find yourself wanting a bigger bike. Good luck man.

D

Just be smart. Your attitude sounds great. Wanting to be a good rider and having the confidence to be a good rider go hand in hand. Kudos to you and good luck with the ride.

keeep the bike, get a cheap used scooter, when you get the nerves to go away...the bike will still be in the garage

Scooters today are a lot different than they used to be... pretty capable machines... I would keep the other bike however... as you ride and gain more confidence, you will likely find the bigger bike more capable for day rides... Would just suck to sell the bike only to have to find another later.. Or you could just decide you like the scooter better.. either way you are riding..

Get whatever you will be comfortable on and you will be much happier! We support your decision. :beerchug:

Some of the new scooters are fast, comfortable and handle great. (freeway/highway capable too). It's a very sensible choice. (my wife went through the same thing with too heavy a bike). Don't forget to consider the 250cc motorcycles that are out now! Raydog

Last edited:
Diana...you know we support you whatever you decide...

As the Nike ad goes...Just Do It! :beerchug:

Get a good bike to bike comm set and ride with an experienced rider. Have them communicate possible hazards.
Here is a short list of my tips.

1.Wear good gear, helmet, jacket, gloves, pants and boots.
2. Pre-ride inspection. Tires are critical.
3. Do not ride at night, limit riding times to day time.
4. Remember the RUT, deer from Oct to Dec are on the move.
5. No alcoholic beverages or drugs EVER. even over the counter anti-histamines can slow reaction times.
6. Obey all speed limits and traffic control signs.
7. Practice stopping in an open parking lot. I mean hard braking, learn how to use the front and rear brake properly. What to to if you lock a brake. Best learned in a parking lot.
8. Remember MSF acronym SEE
9. S - search Look for potential hazards
10. E evaluate Have a plan of escape.
11. Execute the plan.
12. Always be aware of what is going on in front and behind you.
13. Do not ride passengers until you are an experienced rider.
14 Practice riding a passenger in a parking lot first.
Braking and handling drastically change with a passenger.
15. Avoid bad weather. Stopping distances are greatly increased on wet roads.
16. Learn curve negotiation in parking lot. You may have to find someone to teach you.
17. Obstacle negotiation, can avoid or ride over it?
18. We teach how to properly ride over a 4x4 piece of wood. How to hit an animal if it cannot be avoided.

I could go on with more. These come to mind now.

Good luck, get as much training as possible.

Keep your bike dear, but I'm thinking maybe you should spend some time on a dirt bike. Nothing huge maybe a 75 or 100cc. This will (IMO) help you feel what a bike feels like when the rear brakes loose or you slide alittle without the drama of being on the street. You're out there in the dirt, no one around you, so you can "play". See what its like to come to a skidding stop or power out of a rear wheel slide without the intimadation of the street. Get your gear on and if you fall or the bike slides out from under you, no biggie, you're on dirt and not going the fast, get up, brush yourself off, and get going again, this will help you. You will get your balance and confindence, this is priceless experence for the real street world.

P.S. I have to do this::rofl:

Just kidding,
Greg.:cheerleader:

Do what you're comfy with. None of us would want you to do something you felt compelled to do but did not want to do and then something happen.

We love you no matter what you ride or where you ride :thumbsup:

Get and study, not just read, Total Control by Lee Parks. He explains in plain english how to overcome mental road blocks and become a more confident rider.

Back