Anybody Watching MotoGP?..

MotoGP??!! :rofl::whistle: What's that?? Is that the really over priced, boring, lame excuse of a form of racing that it is??

J/K. I missed Qatar, because they showed the race on a Monday instead and my DVR recorded the race on Sunday, which was a replay of 2008. I watched Motegi, and that was a darn good race. One of the better races since Laguna 2008. But....

it didn't even compare to the excitement of WSBK, let alone, race 1 of ASSEN...I'm still over the roof on that one.

I'm really pulling for Rossi of course. Lorenzo is gonna be a huge contender this year. But I was hoping for Nicky to get it together on the Duc this year. Looks like he may end up becoming Marco Melandri part deux. I was praying that wouldn't happen. In fact, I thought he'd be a top 5 contender this year. Guess that Duc is REALLY that hard to ride.

I watch tha' GP boyz. I can't help but pull for Rossi; you have to admit he is one talented rider. I also have to admit that I have been enjoying the SBK racing as much if not more than GP as of late. Those boys can ride too.. :thumbsup:

I just think Hayden is gonna need a little time to get used to that Duc. Stoner rides the $hit out of 'em, so we know they are capable machines. I'd also like to see Capirossi get that Suzuki on the podium for a change. For those of you who pull for "The Hobbit", he's got that Honda wound up during FP2.

If the last practice is any indicator, Sunday's race in Jerez is gonna be interesting... :beerchug:

D

Since Comcast doesn't offer Speed in Center City Philly, I subscribed to MotoGP and watch it online.

I'm pullin' for Stoner, since I think Hayden's going to need a year to shake it down.

Yep, Pedrosa up front in the second round. Valentino must be trying/testing some stuff as he's behind Colin Edwards now. Qualifying should be happening pretty soon, I'm interested to see how it all lines up.
I don't like the idea of the lost R&D from the spec tire rule, but it is looking like it's bringing some racing back into MotoGP. That part I do like.:thumbsup:

...Bridgestone will help some teams, and hurt others I'm sure. Once all the teams get used to the tires however it should be even better. I just wonder if all racing is going the "one tire vendor" route, since F1, AMA, SBK, and now MotoGP is doing it...

D

Pedrosa is the man to watch on Sunday. The Hobbit is hungry for a win fosho... :laugh:

The more I watch Lorenzo run, the more I am impressed with him...

D

I love Rossi, but I'm going to step out on a limb and be pullin for Collin Edwards to get a podium this race.:thumbsup:

Pedrosa is the man to watch on Sunday. The Hobbit is hungry for a win fosho... :laugh:

The more I watch Lorenzo run, the more I am impressed with him...

D

I remember last year early in the season Jorge was running away with it, and there was even talk of "cutting Rossi's pay" and making him the "second rider" on the team. We all seen how that ended. Start will make a lot of the race. If anybody gets a gap, everyone else may well burn their tires up trying to catch the run away.
And yes, I too would like to see CEII get on the podium. Close in Qatar, never did hear what happened at Motegi, maybe it'll come together for him this round.

Lorenzo is doing the things I always knew he was capable of. Last year he was done in by injuries (resulting from crashes) and this year he is healthy. The results speak for themselves. The race is going to be down to who has the most rubber left at the end. They have been saying that even the hard Bridgestone rear wont go the distance at full race pace! I am banking on Lorenzo's smooth riding style VS Pedrosa's uber light weight! I think Stoner and Rossi will mix it up with them a bit but the two Spaniards are eager to do each other in on home soil and that is a big deal! Someone will rabbit early for sure and try to make the others burn up their tires trying to catch em. I'll say Lorenzo, Pedrosa and Rossi for the podium:whistle:

I remember last year early in the season Jorge was running away with it, and there was even talk of "cutting Rossi's pay" and making him the "second rider" on the team. We all seen how that ended. Start will make a lot of the race. If anybody gets a gap, everyone else may well burn their tires up trying to catch the run away.
And yes, I too would like to see CEII get on the podium. Close in Qatar, never did hear what happened at Motegi, maybe it'll come together for him this round.

I thought those Ducs were supposed to be easier to ride hard (all things being equal) than some of the other makes (i.e. easier to manage tires). Haga doesn't seem to have a problem going the distance in SBK, so maybe Stoner can hold on to some rubber as well.

D

Not much of a comparison there. WSBK Ducati is a 1200cc V-twin on Pirelli Rubber and the MotoGP is an 800cc V-four on Bridgestones. They may have similar electronics but that is where it starts to diverge.

I thought those Ducs were supposed to be easier to ride hard (all things being equal) than some of the other makes (i.e. easier to manage tires). Haga doesn't seem to have a problem going the distance in SBK, so maybe Stoner can hold on to some rubber as well.

D

Race length difference a factor too. Most WSBK races are in the neighborhood of 21-23 laps while MotoGP are around 27-30 laps. Those extra 4-6 laps are where the tire wear really comes into play.
Fingers crossed, hoping for a good show.:please:

Good point. And it is sustained higher speeds and braking loads as well for those laps. On the tracks that they run on the Motogp bikes are typically at least a few seconds a lap faster. The bike weights are different as well.

Race length difference a factor too. Most WSBK races are in the neighborhood of 21-23 laps while MotoGP are around 27-30 laps. Those extra 4-6 laps are where the tire wear really comes into play.
Fingers crossed, hoping for a good show.:please:

All good points. I wonder if the carbon-fibre frame the Ducs are runnin' this year will help with tire wear....

D

All good points. I wonder if the carbon-fibre frame the Ducs are runnin' this year will help with tire wear....

D

That's a really good point, considering the weight differences and stiffness (non-flex) characteristics of carbon fiber. I know with my bicycle (2009 Giant TCR Advanced 3), the all carbon frame is super light, yet really transfers the crank power to the ground instantly. So much faster than the old aluminum or steel frame bicycles I was used to riding. With that said, I can see the carbon frame transferring power to the ground very quickly, and offering much more feel of what the rear tire is doing, giving the rider (or traction control system) better compensation to manage tire wear. Definitely got me thinking there Big D. :beerchug:

I would think it would be easier to play around with localized stiffness characteristics with a composite structure than a welded Chromoly structure. Just alter the weave or layup in the desired area and voila.

That's a really good point, considering the weight differences and stiffness (non-flex) characteristics of carbon fiber. I know with my bicycle (2009 Giant TCR Advanced 3), the all carbon frame is super light, yet really transfers the crank power to the ground instantly. So much faster than the old aluminum or steel frame bicycles I was used to riding. With that said, I can see the carbon frame transferring power to the ground very quickly, and offering much more feel of what the rear tire is doing, giving the rider (or traction control system) better compensation to manage tire wear. Definitely got me thinking there Big D. :beerchug:

I watched the race this morning, but will not ruin it for anyone. If you follow MotoGP don't miss this race; it was a good one IMO. :beerchug:

D

Back