Dead Battery -_-

Went out to the bike today after leaving it outside yesterday (45+ degree weather, very slight drizzle) and lone behold: the battery was COMPLETELY flat!

Now yes I still do have my busa temp tags, and yes I've killed a bike batter before (leaving the key on) but never have I seen a bike killed just from being outside in a little rain.

Hmm.. something has to be going on here..
Good thing was i popped the seat off, jumped it, and it started right up no issues, although the battery seemed a little low when i went to start it up again at Quaker Steak.. rolled slowly once or twice before it caught.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm??????

It is possible to turn the bike ignition switch off "too far" and it leaves the tail light/TS on (really sucks too when you come out and the sucker is dead) Another possible is the rectifier bridge being bad..

hmm When you say too far you mean PAST the handlebar lock or just past the off spot?
I'll have to keep that in mind... and With regards to the rectifier bridge, is that a typical wear piece?

when you turn the bike off, it is possible to turn the key just a bit too far and remove it.. This leaves the accessory circuit live.. The rectifier bridge is not a common failure but it is not uncommon either.. a diode takes a hit and then works as draw on the system.. you might be able to see a small "arc" unplugging the thing if that is the issue..

If the bike has not done this before and it is ok now, I would bet on the "key too far" scenario..

You probably turned the key all the way past LOCK which turned on your tailight which drained the battery. Easy to check next time, just cup your hands around the tailight after you lock the bike to see if the light is on. if not, its OK. Not knowing the age of your battery, this is all I can think of. The cold weather didn't have anything to do with it.

I see I see.. thanks alot for the heads up..

I'll set it up on the trickle charger next time I'm home from college, then get it back up to full.
Thanks again!

It is possible to turn the bike ignition switch off "too far" and it leaves the tail light/TS on (really sucks too when you come out and the sucker is dead) Another possible is the rectifier bridge being bad..
Just another feature that you probably didn't ask for. But it's not all bad. Now you'll know you have it if you ever run out of gas at night and call someone to bring you gas.

Back