My Busa has a flast spot at 2k rpm

jakesbusa

Registered
I have just bought this Busa and it is a 1999 model. The bike is in absolute mint condition. It stood in a garage for a while, the owner did not really use but still loved it. It only had 8900km on the clock when I bought it. It has Remus canisters fitted but has a flat spot at about 2krpm. Basically the bike seems to get bogged down. If I rev it to about 2.5 or 3k all is good. Problem is with this much torque I do not want flat spots and a sudden surge of power when cranked over. Had the bike serviced by Suzuki and they say it must be the pipes.

Any idea where I can get a set of standard pipes form to test?

Other than that the bike is great. I have owned a number of bikes and currently also also have a R1 2004 and a 1000 Blade 07 model. Have given the bike a quick burst to about 270km/h. Was good, smooth and stable. With this much power it is very hard to use it all.

For the pipe I am in Perth if anyone has an old set I could test for the 09 model?

:welcome: to the org. You might want to check with our site sponsors about odering some stock cans for it. :thumbsup:

D

If you can run it on a dyno and see what it is doing. If you just have pipes and not a full system that may not be your problem. When I got my 2000 on a dyno they told me that I had a flat spot cause by my Yosh cans but I was told by Yosh that was not the case there was something else wrong with it. I found out from a different shop that when the cam chain recall was do it was put back together wrong. One of the cams was off by a tooth. Check out my pic about half way down in this post. This is the print out before and after they fixed the problem. https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/busa-problems/14306-slight-hiccup-during-hard-acceleration.html

Thanks for all the welcomes and advise. Just to answer a few of them quickly. It does not have a TRE ( unrestricted model and not needed ) and no PC. Just the cans. Tech from the shop said that some of them just do it. I do not belive this though and will spend some time on it and see if I can trace the problem but keep the ideas coming in please.

Welcome to the oRg what color is your 99? Are we talking full system or slip-ons? Also, sounds like you might have an aftermarket air cleaner installed IF this is the case I suspect this could be contributing to the problem...

Last edited:
my 99 has carbon can co , cans and has the same flat spot you speek of. i have had a yosh box set up on dyno wich has greatly improved this , also moved the a.i.t sensor from the air box to the air duct pipe near the nose , this also helps.
fitting a tre gets rid of this all together , but personally i dont like it , its to sharp.
it does run flawless with the standard cans though. baffles also help in the race cans , but tooo quiet lol , believe me ive been working on this one for a long time, if you come up with a fix letme know :thumbsup:

Welcome to the oRg what color is your 99? Are we talking full system or slip-ons? Also, sounds like you might have an aftermarket air cleaner installed IF this is the case I suspect this could be contributing to the problem...

interesting i have a bmc filter fitted , you think this could be a factor , i would certainly consider a genuine one if so, never gave it a thought they say the answer is under your nose:cheerleader:

Just fitted the standard cans and it runs flawlessly. Will check out the air filter, maybe a non STD has been fitted. What does the TRE exactly?

Back