Feedback on riding with contacts vs. glasses

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
I was just wondering if those of you who are going blind:rofl:like me can give me some input on this issue I am pondering...

I have just had to go to glasses this past fall and after only a short time of riding with them, I am realizing that it really stinks to have to ride and try to see through them....
They are either fogging up in the colder weather or if I am riding and go down into a "tucked" position, if they aren't high enough on your face you end up looking over the top of them which is no good at all (for those of you who wear them you know what I mean)...
So, I was considering going to contacts for all the obvious reasons of not having to fool with the dang things anymore- but my question is this:
Is there an issue with the constant rush of air we all get in our helmets DRYING OUT the contacts??? Just wondering if I am going to be able to ride with contacts or not?? Any other issues with riding with them that I don't know about??
I know it probably is a stupid question but before I go spend the money on them I thought I'd run it by my people---who else better to ask than a fellow rider ya know:thumbsup:

I haven't had a lot of issues with contacts. You just can't do a top end run with the visor open; oh wait you can't do that anyway. With glasses I lose clear peripheral vision.

Been riding all sorts of bikes my whole life (4th grade-present) with contacts...ur straight homie...pop them boys in and rip it...i dig lookin over the glasses...def feel ur pain, especially cuz i got the narrow square lenses...

No problems with contacts, my eyes tend to water when I ride with my face shield open so drying out is not a problem. I've used glasses and they suck on a bike. Just my two cents.

cheers
ken

I wear contacts 95 percent of the time when I ride the bike because I always forget to take my glasses off before trying to either put my helmet on or take my helmet off. I do have to keep my visor closed if I'm doing more than 45 MPH or so because the wind is my eyes start to bother me. I wouldn't say that my contacts are drying out at this point though but more of just the wind hitting my eyeball. I hope that helps.

I have been an insulin using Diabetic for almost 18 years now and have been the route of riding in glasses or contacts...

The biggest question here is not so much contacts versus glasses, it's comfort

I would recommend contacts anyday, but there are major differences in contact lens makers and the models they carry. Which mean comfort differences galore,

For over 8-years I have been wearing a contact made by Accu View, they are thier Accu View 2 lenses, I love them, can wear them at night, I clean them each morning after shower, throw them away after two weeks, in goes a new pair.

A new eye Dr recommended I try an Accu View Oasis lens, said it breathed 4-5 times more then my old ones. I gave it a try and hated them.

I couldn't believe the difference in the same maker but two different models.

On a side note, Our local laser surgery place does free seminars once a month and they have a drawing for a free laser eye surgery. I have two friends who won last year and it changed thier lives.

Hey thanks for all the feedback guys:beerchug:

Man I can relate to somethin' everyone of you said with these dang glasses I have now...they look fine on me but I lose any good peripheral vision, they are the square lenses so in a tuck I can't keep them high enough to see out of half the time, my eyes water plenty, and I have about tore my nose off too many times forgettin' bout'em when I go to take my helmet off or puttin' my helmet on:rofl:
I appreciate all the thoughts and looks like it's a definite go on gettin' the contacts then- May look into the Lasic surgery eventually, have to save some for a while for that---hard to save the money for it though...
busa=money spent(always on somethin'):whistle::laugh:
Have a good one y'all---be safe but ride it like you stole it:rulez:

I wear Blues Brothers type sunglasses and have no problems except with some helmets, getting them on properly. My Scorpion helmets work very well with glasses. Eyes are too dry for contacts.

I wear both and enjoy the convenience of contacts when it comes to riding. I have to deal with the 'can't see $hit' when it comes to close up, so if I'm wearing the contacts and want to see anything close up, I have to use reading glasses. It's gotten to the point I just where my glasses pretty much all the time, put up with the having to scrunch my nose up to see through the frames in a tuck (and I guess I don't really ride tucked that often) and try to remember taking them on and off for the lid routine. I'm sure you'll figure something out for your style of ridin'!:beerchug:

I wear Blues Brothers type sunglasses and have no problems except with some helmets, getting them on properly. My Scorpion helmets work very well with glasses. Eyes are too dry for contacts.

Do you wear them at night?
If "yes," you, sir, are the awesome.
If "no," start doing it...immediately.

It's 106 miles to Chicago...

bb-je.jpg

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes...

bluesbros.jpg

It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses...

blues-brothers.jpg

HIT IT!

74_dodge_monaco_blues_brothers_setpic.jpg

I give a :thumbsup: to CrashBomb myself!! Gotta love the Blues Brothers---still remember seeing them on an episode of Saturday Night Live I won't ever forget!!:beerchug:

Do you wear them at night?
If "yes," you, sir, are the awesome.
If "no," start doing it...immediately.

It's 106 miles to Chicago...

bb-je.jpg

We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes...

bluesbros.jpg

It's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses...

blues-brothers.jpg

HIT IT!

74_dodge_monaco_blues_brothers_setpic.jpg

Good enough to quote Crash!:thumbsup: Do I wear them after dark? Well, I have no control over when the sun goes down...Hit it!:bowdown:

Back