Vss?

RedBusarider

Registered
Hi Everyone,
Does anyone know how many Pulses per mile or RPM's per mile the Busa
puts out? I'm putting a cruise on it. I tried 16090 but it would engage and then disengage. If anyone knows the PPM, I would really like to know. My dealer
didn't and couldn't get it from Suzuki. Thanks!

This is a confusing question. When you say pulses per mile or rpm's per mile.

I'm not sure what pulses you're refering to..do you mean pulses per minute like RPM?
RPM's per mile doesn't make much sense either... RPM is crank revolutions per minute. So are you asking how many revolutions the engine would make in a mile? If so that depends how fast you're going.

I'm guesing that you mean you want oto add cruise control.. What cruise control unit are you using?

I'm installing a Rostra Cruise unit. In the owners manual it states Pulses/Mile. Then you have to pick a number and set dip switches to equal that number. It starts at 2000 and goes to 38600. I talked to a Tech Rep. at Rostra and he said that if I knew RPM's per mile then I could cut that number in half. However, just thinking that wouldn't work. My Busa turns about 3150 RPM's in 6th gear @60 mph. Cutting that number in half would be to small.
He also said that if I had a scope (I don't) and could get the hertz off the VSS that would be the Pulses/mile that I need and that it would also tell me if it was a sine wave or a square wave input.
I hope that helps anyone to know what I'm talking about. Thanks again.

So, how does the RPM work on the cruise ? 50 - 60 or 70 mph in different gears are at different RPM'S per mile. Are you setting the speed based on RMP per mile or what (is the pulse a piston pulse - as in each cylinder firing) ? If so, how does that help you if your trying to set it at 50 mph in 4th or 65 mph in 6th ? Since I'am looking at a cruise control, I would like to understand how your hookup works and what makes the cruise control hold a constent speed in any gear .

Pulse per mile, the module is going to read the reluctor to get accurate wheel speed and modify it's corse of action. I assume you put a reluctor on one of the wheels or that it is going to use the drive gear as a reluctor or signal. You can use a DMM (digital multimeter) set to Hertz to monitor the pulse/wave/signal or frequency of the sensor. Then use that as your messurement.
Hope this help.

Pulse per mile, the module is going to read the reluctor to get accurate wheel speed and modify it's corse of action. I assume you put a reluctor on one of the wheels or that it is going to use the drive gear as a reluctor or signal. You can use a DMM (digital multimeter) set to Hertz to monitor the pulse/wave/signal or frequency of the sensor. Then use that as your messurement.
Hope this help.

Well, that helps me start to understand :thumbsup: . Since the wheel RPM will always be the same when matched with mph !

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is how the cruise "knows" how fast the vehicle is moving.
The VSS puts out pulses per mile. I don't have a multimeter with a Hertz setting. I have a Fluke meter. I think that you would need a scope to "see" the wave and know if it was square or not. I'm still testing the different settings. I have a Chevy Metro that has basically the same engine as the Busa. Yes, they were both made by Suzuki. On Rostra's
web sight they show the Metro at 4000 PPM. That's what I'm going to try next. The transmission is different and the Busa can rev a lot higher, so I'm not sure if the pulses are the same. In the manual it said to use square wave if using the vehicle's VSS. I would have thought that it would have been sine wave coming off the VSS. I'll report back after I test the next setting. However, if anyone out there knows the Pulses per Mile? That would save me a lot of trial and error. Thanks

Whew, too much work and thought. I think I will just keep the bike on WOT and cruise around the 180 mark. Sure allows you to get to your destination sooner.............:laugh:

Disclaimer: Just kidding. :beerchug:

I hope you get the info to set up that cruise control properly. Be safe and enjoy.

Measure the circumference of your tire in inches. Divide 63360 by the circumference of the tire in inches, and you will now know how many times your wheel has to turn to cover one mile. Now divide the number of rear sprocket teeth by the number of front sprocket teeth to get your gear ratio. Multiply your gear ratio by the number of turns your wheel had to turn to go a mile, and you will now know how many times your countershaft sprocket has to turn to go a mile. Since the countershaft sender has 4 triggers on it, multiply this number by 4 to get the pulses per mile.

And good luck with the cruise. I couldn't get mine to work very good.

Last edited:
A Fluke is a DMM, and if it has Hz on it then it is an 87 or above most likely. I have replaced more of the 3 and 4 cylinder versions than I care to think about. The 3 cylinders would always come apart.

Back