I Dont know what to Do next!

Patten

Registered
ok, so I recently got a new fuel tank. just finished attaching it, Plugged in all the necessary attachments. Fuel line- and plugged into the snap plug the elctrical stuff.

so I turn on my bike, and You know the fuel pump makes a little different sound, which is to be expected right>

so I just turned the key off. then on, until the fuel pump sound --- was normal.

ok, so then I tried startin it, I cant get it to fire.

so I thought, mabey no gas gettin in, but I think it is- because at the end, I gave it some throttle, and the bike turned over a different speed. then back to normal when I let off the throttle. So the throttle IS doing something.

I only tried this until my battery ran out.

My FL light is blinking as well.

also before I came in for the night, I put her on the battery charger. I was thinking that I just need to turn her over alot, get the fuel going through the lines, but the fuel light, and complete lack of it firing moved me to post

please, help me out- I've got a trip planned in one day!

thanks-

--Patten

Last edited:
if things were working correctly, (a smooth install of tank) Would it fire Right up? or is it expected to have to turn over many times?

I just reinstalled both pump and tank and mine started without incident. I'm not sure what you should do. You are sure the lines are on correctly?

Do you have a service manual? There are so many options and so many places to start. If not you can go HERE and download the 99-00 edition and the 02 sup.

Good luck just make sure you start cheap. Ignition switch, side stand switch.
There sure are a lot of people having fuel problems lately.

if you ran your battery low and continued to crank you are lucky you didn't hurt your bike.

charge the battery full and try again, bike will not start or run if the battery is below 12v.

If the FI light is on then pull the service code and see what it's refering to. It may be sensor related adn not giving you any spark. Sounds like you have fuel.

ok, so the bike is an 06 busa> It runs flawlessly, (up until I installed the new tank of course)

When you change out a tank, do you expect the bike to start right up? also, is there any chance the fuel line/lines have a bubble of air in them, that I need to flush out?

I think I just need to get the fuel...started- you know going through the engine, since I know my bike is mechanically sound, and all I changed was the tank, that I should be able to fix this w/o spenind much (or any) money, I'm just not sure what to do next.

What would YOU do in this situation?

thanks

Patten

Why did you replace the tank, and where did you get the new one? Did you get a fuel pump with it, or did you put the old pump in the new tank? As far as the air bubble in the fuel line: It won't do anything to the startup unless it's a really big air bubble. And even so, it should start right away because there should have still been fuel in the rail. Did you change ANYTHING other than the tank? If not, then you probably have something else going on, because as I said, there should have still been fuel in the rail (unless you removed the rail). Another thing that could be an issue is as someone else said, the battery. Make sure it's got the right voltage. The battery doesn't get charged at idle, so if the battery's low it's not going to run.

Last edited:
The new tank had the fuel pump on it. just dissconected the old one, snapped off the fuel line and the connector plug, fit the tank in, and reconnected the two. is there something I missed that I should have done? and the battery is full charged, I just charged it - I guess I'll take the fuel pump off my old tank then.... although this one SOUNDS exactly the same on startup, its the only option I have right now it seems>

so, I just got back from the garage, tried startin it- didnt go at first, but then I got impatient as I was turning on the key, and pushed the starter before it finished the noise the fuel pump makes when you first turn on the key. and it started right up. of course, it shut down immidiatly after the 4 seconds or so it takes to do that.

So, now we know its not a problem with the bike. Is there some sensor that tips off the fuel pump to stop/go?

I'm going to replace the fuel pump later tonight after work.

If you've any insight, it'd be great to see it after I get home, and BEFORE I start takin things off>

thanks!

-Patten

If the engine started, but the pump stopped running and the engine shut back off, then the ECU is most likely somehow not getting the signal to run the pump. The pump will always run when the key is first turned on, but after that it will only run if the ECM is getting a signal that the engine is either trying to start, or is running. I'm not exactly sure how the fuel system works on the busa, but if it ran at all, I would imagine it's getting the crank signal. Otherwise it wouldn't have known which injectors to pulse and which plugs to fire and it wouldn't have run at all. Did you try to start it again after it shut off?

If the engine started, but the pump stopped running and the engine shut back off, then the ECU is most likely somehow not getting the signal to run the pump. The pump will always run when the key is first turned on, but after that it will only run if the ECM is getting a signal that the engine is either trying to start, or is running. I'm not exactly sure how the fuel system works on the busa, but if it ran at all, I would imagine it's getting the crank signal. Otherwise it wouldn't have known which injectors to pulse and which plugs to fire and it wouldn't have run at all. Did you try to start it again after it shut off?

Does anyone out there know how to check the ECM signal like this poster mentioned?

thanks-

-Patten

Swap pump.....if all you did was swap the tank then nothing was affected other than you unhinged one and hinged the other.....and check the TO sensor....you WERE in that neighborhood.

Back