I think my Bike is slowly dying

SpeedAdict

Gabe
Donating Member
Registered
Not to bring up old problems that have been resolved I will only discuss the new ones. Mind you at this point I am more distraught than this post is really going to sound. So I did my yearly get the bike out of hibernation service, change oil tighten things up check all the bolts ect.. Through this years process I found my front forks to especially soft, so probably need new seals right. In the process I put in some heavier fork springs because I have been hurting for those too. I take the forks down to my local (I hate them so much but no where else to go) dealership, and told them to rebuild the forks. I get a call saying that the titabium nitrate on the right fork is rubbing off and they can not gauruntee that they will not leek again. But they can not find any reason that it is worm so maybee a fluke. The fix was to be new lower fork leg at 550.00. Well I really can not afford that kind of loot so put the forks together new seals and hope for the best. I get the bike back togther Friday night, ride around the block and it was a whole new bike suspension wise. Rode to work Saturday and 60 miles after work saturday night. No problems. Rode to the bank this morning over an especially bumpy road and back before work. 2 hours later I go to jump on the bike to go to work and I notice a small puddle of oil under the fairings (2-3 dropps) no biggy I didn't have a strap wrench so probably justy a loose filter. Check the oil level and she is still good to go. Look forward and there is a big puddle of oil under the front tire. All over the caliper and rotor and on the fork tube...........crap.......So visions of thousands of dollar repairs come to mind as I sullunly get into my truck and go to work. So here I sit........miserable. I looked on ebay and I can buy whole new forks for 400.00 bucks (WTF!). Which has both a good and bad side to it. The good, with an extra set of forks around I can rip open my old and figure out how to rebuild myself, and if it turns out that it is just hap hazard work on the dealerships part I can always resell the new and get the majority of my money back which is still far cheaper than having the dealership take care of this. The bad is I really do not find myself in a postion to spend ANOTHER 400 bucks on forks this year. I do not know what to do. I am going to tear into her when I get out of work this evening and at least try to figure out the motor oil problem. I am not hopefull that my fork issue is going to end up positive.

Last edited:
Are there any Org. members close by that know how to rebuild your forks, it's not that hard.

I tried that route before I took them to the stealership and no such luck, again one of the benefits to getting another set, I can learn how to do it myself for future issues

Just make sure you read up on how to rebuild them before you go tearing them apart. anything that involves springs means things can pop out at you. I haven't had to rebuild a set so can't say for sure on how the springs will react on disassemble.

the problem with the coating coming off is you are just going to wind up in the same shape again...i had to bite the bullet last year and buy new lower legs when GIXERHP rebuilt mine for me...worth every penny!

the problem with the coating coming off is you are just going to wind up in the same shape again...i had to bite the bullet last year and buy new lower legs when GIXERHP rebuilt mine for me...worth every penny!

That's what I am thinking, like I said there is a pair of "NEW" complete forks on ebay I think I will get for 400.00 and just save my self the headache. I need to take my old forks apart anyway to get the new heavy springs out.

Bullet bit.....Just ordered a new set of forks, So I guess I will pull out the manual and learn how to rebuild forks on my old ones.

It may hurt the wallet,but will cure the heart! :thumbsup:

Got to do what you have to to keep your baby in good health right? Just like if my kid was sick I would sell the bike quicker than I can blink to keep him healthy

here is a thread with a walk-through, i think post #47 has a link to a thread that includes the pics...good luck, the difference in the ride and handling is unbelievable :beerchug:

fork service

if they need rebuilt and you plan to pay someone to do it "right"...send it to someone like GP suspensions and have a custom fitment done.

Back