1999 Aftermarket Fuel Pump

ajblbv

Donating Member
Registered
Howdy guys, long story short I am looking to do what all of you have told me to do. Replace my fuel pump with an aftermarket one. I also want to do the inline filter mod. What pump do you guys recommend? Are they plug and play or what is involved? Do they mount up or what are the options for that?

In my other posts people have referred to replacing the pump with the aftermarket ones to solve the 99 fuel pumps problem, however I have searched here and googled a variety of terms but I am not finding a writeup or even any specific post about it. Any direction here is welcome. Do any of the Sponsors have these pumps? I'd be looking to get it from them, and hopefully find a way to get it shipped ASAP.

easiest thing to do is to locate a 2000 pump...but no guarantee they won;t have the same issue. You need a pump that can hold a constant 43 psi and a regulator. Automotive stuff is fine. Your local napa should be able to hook you up and tell you what is quality and what is not.

I run a Vortech T Rex fuel pump with an Aeromotive Fuel pressure regulator. I use a see through Fuel filter on the low pressure side. You can cut the plug from the stock pump and install it on the new one. A bung will have to be welded onto the tank for a return for fuel Also check the filters in the injectors. The 99 pumps were known for armiture scraping on the case and clogging the injector filters.

mine's a 2000,the 2000 had/ has the same design problem as the '99, they changed in 01. I've tried to find an aftermarket one too, with no luck. I'll prolly end up going through bikebandit by the time it's all said & done. it seems there's not much out there.

good to know gixx, the one I just put on my mustang,BBK 255 l/hr, was about $200 cheaper than the one for the busa:beerchug:

Last edited:
I had the same probs on my 99. I could never get a real good answer on what to change to so I put an inline filter before the pump, took the stock one apart, cleaned it and removed the filter inside it. Replaced it and rode for 40k miles like this, just changing the filters regularly. It was stolen last summer with over 50k on the odometer. Good luck and dont let that baby outta your sight. EVER...

i had all these issues going on , thought about every option. having refurbed the original pump its never run better. that said we are out for a big run tomorrow , time will tell :thumbsup:

I had the same probs on my 99. I could never get a real good answer on what to change to so I put an inline filter before the pump, took the stock one apart, cleaned it and removed the filter inside it. Replaced it and rode for 40k miles like this, just changing the filters regularly. It was stolen last summer with over 50k on the odometer. Good luck and dont let that baby outta your sight. EVER...

that is an option also (probably the cheapest also)...remove the in pump filters and install a high pressure FI filter inline. Change regularly.

You left the stock filter in this whole time? or you just took the stock one out and left that area empty?

I can get you all the stuff you need to do the fuel pump setup or sell you a 99-00 pump setup..call the shop and we will discuss options...

503-663-3278

Okay guys....getting everything together, after suzuki4life talked me through it and GoldenChild hooked me up with some injectors from an 05 I am going to replace the injectors, put the pump together without the filter, and use an inline from napa. Napa told me all their pumps handle up to 60 PSI....hopefully this is true. Also pulled one of the old plugs, has some red lube on the big oring, is this just grease someone used putting them in? Any trick that I should know to doing all this that common sense wouldnt dictate? Gonna tackle it Friday night.

Thanks again for all the input guys.

thanks for the info instead of buying that 99 i' ll get that blue 07 :thumbsup:

Back