Synthetic to regular oil?

cerebusa

Registered
Just changed the oil the bike was running Mobile1 synth oil. Can I change to the Valvoline 4 stroke oil I used to run? Both are for 4 strokes and I just dont know. Thanks Mike.

why would you want to go back to regular dino?
I don't think it would hurt to go back but why...???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ is it the money then use what ever i guess stay true to the oil you used:thumbsup:

10.85 a quart and 16 for the filter, 60 $ every other month or so is a bit pricey. But if thats whats I gotta do then so be it. I too have always heard not to change from synth to regular. Just curious, wont need to change for another couple of months anyway. I was laid off for 2 mnths and just got back. Its kinda tought to tell the wifey hey I changed the oil in the Expedition for 30$ but the bike costs 60. Chinese math there. Thanks for all the input.

Wasn't there some blather when synthetics first started to become popular about the seals becoming "accustomed to" the synthetic oil and downgrading to dino oil would cause some sort of problem?

I remember this being a concern awhile ago, but my memory may be playing tricks on me.

engines dont "get accustomed to" anything

Just sayin... there are a LOT of old wives tales about oil out there, and most of them are 100% bunk.

Just sayin... there are a LOT of old wives tales about oil out there, and most of them are 100% bunk.

+ 1000 you shouldnt mix em , but drained down proper wont cause a problem :please:

Yeah, I wasn't suggesting that this was true or anything. That's why I called it "blather." I just remember hearing people speculate about it some years back.

10.85 a quart and 16 for the filter, 60 $ every other month or so is a bit pricey. But if thats whats I gotta do then so be it. I too have always heard not to change from synth to regular. Just curious, wont need to change for another couple of months anyway. I was laid off for 2 mnths and just got back. Its kinda tought to tell the wifey hey I changed the oil in the Expedition for 30$ but the bike costs 60. Chinese math there. Thanks for all the input.

IMO most synth users change their oil far too frequently and that's the main reason they feel its too expensive to use on a regular basis. Its SYNTHETIC and designed to be better and last longer. Changing it at dino oil change intervals defeats one of the reasons for using it.

What intervals then?? I'm a big beleiver in clean oil so I normally change oil and filter about every 3k. What would you recommend mileage wise?? a thank you...

7,500 miles, drain one gallon of Amsoil and add one gallon, and a new K&N filter. Amsoil recommeds an even longer interval. In my 27 yr old air/oil cooled six cylinder CBX with 93,000 miles I change it at 5,000. Its a much hotter running motor w/o a radiator.

IMO most synth users change their oil far too frequently and that's the main reason they feel its too expensive to use on a regular basis. Its SYNTHETIC and designed to be better and last longer. Changing it at dino oil change intervals defeats one of the reasons for using it.
Yep, if you're gonna run syn and change it every 2k miles you're wasting your money bigtime. And you can go from reg to syn, syn to reg, mix them......it won't hurt a thing except your pocketbook. I've done it all with all diff mileage vehicles ever since syn came out........no issues of any kind ever :thumbsup: Theirs more old wives tales and urban legends out there than you can shake a stick at :rofl:

Last edited:
Cycle Gear has Mobil 1 synthetic on sale for 6.99 a quart right now! Also All Dunlap qualifier rear tires are $30 off.:thumbsup:

Back