Another "noise" question

mrracer98

Registered
Hey all,

So today I put some miles on my busa, which is new to me... an 03 with 5600 miles. I am a pretty decent motorhead as I atteneded mech school several years ago, and do all my own rebuild have built several motors etc... i.e. I am not a complete idiot...

Anyhow So I noticed today after crusing for a while (it seems more pronounced when warm; I assume because the oil is nice and thing), if I come up to a stop, shift down through the gears as usual, When I am in first and revving to motor, not crazy but say 3-6,000 rpm, when it R's are coming down I will hear a slight "rattle" kind of sounds like when you hear the clutch basket when you let the clutch out in neutral at idle, not a clank, but sort of a rattle. I thought for a while it was the fuel in the headers combusting; because it seems like it comes from up there, but it is subtle, but definitely there. I thought it was a perhaps my cam chain? but it only seems to do it in first gear (Maybe I am going too fast at other gears to hear it) it does NOT do it in neutral. And if it was a cam issue I should hear it no matter what... It doesnt seem harmful, though I would like everyones opinion.

The bike functions and shifts flawlessly

Any Ideas? Thanks

For real or are you jokin? Cuz i only have bout 250 miles logged on a busa :-) So I am still learning the creeks and squeeks... I like to be very in tune with my bike

For real...cam chains rattle and the clutch basket :banghead:

Buy a Gen2...much better :whistle:

Well I definitely figured out the clutch basket one... lol

Just I would think I would hear this same noise in neutral if it was a cam chain, dont you think?

The engines are pretty much bullet proof...you will get used to all the clatter
and rattles, plus the engine vibration @ about 4,500 rpm's. It's a great bike, but
not as smooth or as quiet as most other bikes. (inline fours)

"you will get used to all the clatter and rattles, plus the engine vibration @ about 4,500 rpm's. It's a great bike, but not as smooth or as quiet as most other bikes. (inline fours)"

Shame on you BA, telling stories like its the gospel. In three+ years and 27,000+ miles of experience riding my 06, I can attest that its not at all, a noisy engined bike and has no cam chain chatter or clutch chatter. I do have the HD Throttlemeister but even before installing it, never felt any kind of buzz at a certain rpm. Smooth as buttah I tell ya!:thumbsup:

"you will get used to all the clatter and rattles, plus the engine vibration @ about 4,500 rpm's. It's a great bike, but not as smooth or as quiet as most other bikes. (inline fours)"

Shame on you BA, telling stories like its the gospel. In three+ years and 27,000+ miles of experience riding my 06, I can attest that its not at all, a noisy engined bike and has no cam chain chatter or clutch chatter. I do have the HD Throttlemeister but even before installing it, never felt any kind of buzz at a certain rpm. Smooth as buttah I tell ya!:thumbsup:

Well pull your ear plugs out before you start your engine when it's cold...or try out a Gen2 :moon:

Last edited:

:rofl: keep telling yourself that :;):

Gen I iz teh noizy

Seriously, the 'busa isn't that bad. You'll get used to it. Try a Ducati 748 with a dry clutch and an open clutch cover.

I get people pulling up next to me in traffic and yelling, "DUDE, IS YOUR BIKE BROKEN? IT'S MAKING AN AWFUL SOUND!"

It's not broken...it's Italian...morons.

Your Hayabusa isn't noisy.

THIS is the emperor of noise.

Ducati: If it doesn't rattle...it's broken.

It's such a delicious cacophony. It carries its own soundtrack around with it. It's like a little mobile symphony.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well pull your ear plugs out before you start your engine when it's cold...or try out a Gen2 :moon:
Hey BA, spot on call, my first busa was an 05 and that baby was a noisy rattle trap compared to my smooth and super quiet Gen2.

Back