my girl wants a bike

wht_scorpion

Registered
guy do any one on here know about the 09ninja 250r. My girlfriend wants one she never rode a bike before i need some feed back on this? Bike night out with the guys and my girlfriend is this how she puts a leash on me.:rofl: lol i need to know if the ninja 250r has any floors to them and why suzuki dont have a small cc sport bike thanks guys

Picture 011.jpg

I think they're great bikes, I've been thinking about getting one just to have a little something to put around on that I don't have to always worry about someone stealing it. The price on 'em is right, and it would definitely be a nice bike for her to start out on. But I still recommend that she takes the MSF safety class. It'll introduce her to actually riding a bike, before you go and spend the money on one.

250's are good starter bikes. There are also Hyosungs. A cheaper version of the ninja. Seen some 09's on craigs list for like 3 grand. The good things about them are that the 250, 500, and I beleive the 600 all use the same frame, so as she gets better and wants to move up in cc's, you can upgrade the motor cheaper than having to buy another bike. ffor being a 250, to me, they're pretty sporty looking.

The one thing I learned early on is that buying a "new" beginner bike is a big mistake. If she takes to riding like most do, she's going to tire of the slow speed real quick. Then you're stuck with a bike that is worth far less than it cost. I strongly suggest a used 250 from craigslist or eBay. This way she can get some cheap experience and then buy something that will suit her for the future.

First, what does this mean? "i need to know if the ninja 250r has any floors"

Floor(boards) like on a cruiser? Second, the 250 has to be wound out in every gear to get anywhere. I'd recommend not only a different bike (like an SV650) but also a USED bike for her first one.

I found my daughter a used one owner 03 with only 10,000 miles on it for $3,000. Its a 40ci motor, like a Triumph Bonneville, has six gears, water cooled and is very reliable with plenty of torque.

SuzukiSV650_001Small.jpg

Last edited:
she already has it on order picking it up this week roaring toyz is sending a lowering package this week to so i think im going to be working this weekend my girl is only 5 foot she tippy toe when it stock so it has to be lowered she getting it for 4359 out the door craig list has no 250 in this area or state

Picture 009.jpg

Any of the SV650 or Vstrom 650 Suzukis would be a much better choice. They will weigh about the same as the baby "Ninjette", but they will have a lot more torque and will be easier to ride. The "power" should not worry her with these V-twin motors because they don't have that much power. But torque is really nice to have for beginners and the motor is big enough to take on the highway, to ride long distance, and to not grow out of in 3 months.

My wife's favorite bike was her 1200 Harley Sportster. Low to the ground, lightweight, decent handling (surprisingly good) and lots of torque. A very easy bike to ride.

I would buy a used Ninja 250...she will likely out grow it and want to move up in a couple months. It is a great learning bike and they generally have pretty good resale. I know the new ones are much cooler looking than the pre 2009s. The 2009 looks like a true sportbike. I believe there are around $3900 new. I have seen the older ones for $1500-2500

Tell her to get to a MSF course before she tries to ride her bike. She is going to feel sick if she dumps it and she very well may the first time out. Not only that she will be safer if she has some back ground on operating a motorcycle safely.

Good luck.

Tell her to get to a MSF course before she tries to ride her bike. She is going to feel sick if she dumps it and she very well may the first time out. Not only that she will be safer if she has some back ground on operating a motorcycle safely.

Good luck.

I agree 100% !!

The one thing I learned early on is that buying a "new" beginner bike is a big mistake. If she takes to riding like most do, she's going to tire of the slow speed real quick. Then you're stuck with a bike that is worth far less than it cost. I strongly suggest a used 250 from craigslist or eBay. This way she can get some cheap experience and then buy something that will suit her for the future.

These are good points.............???

250's are good starter bikes but only for so long. The only dissadvantage with the Kawi 250 is the inseam height. If your wife is short she may be better off learning on one of the small single cylinder cruisers. Their seat height is much lower. You don't want her to learn how to ride without being confident in her footing (flat foot vs. tip toe).

My wife's beginner bike was a 600 GSXR and she is already talking about trading up to a Busa like mine. She thinks my ride looks better, which is quite the reverse from the norm for us. :laugh:

+1 on the sv 650 great bike!!!

My hubby has actually found a used SV650 that he is purchasing for me as my first bike, which is my "starter" bike. I have a couple of girlfriends from work that started on the Ninja 250 and within 6 month wanted an upgrade and in fact did upgrade. I wanted a Gixxer 750, but hubby said that I had to take the MSF course learn to ride the SV650 and then we will talk. I actually really wanted a Busa, but his answer was a BIG NO. He said he loves me too much to let me kill myself learning on a Busa with my driving record on four wheels.
I am not going to rush my learning. I want to take it slow and make sure the MSF course is done before anything.

Smart woman! You're gonna love it too. Lots of power and great cornering ability (plus) its a very light bike. Many are used as track bikes. The first year for fuel injection was 03. Which year will you get?

she already has it on order picking it up this week roaring toyz is sending a lowering package this week to so i think im going to be working this weekend my girl is only 5 foot she tippy toe when it stock so it has to be lowered she getting it for 4359 out the door craig list has no 250 in this area or state
Thats a good price for an 09 Ninja 250. We could have sold a thousand of them last year. We only get 12 this whole year. Great beginner bike, and easy to sell when she is ready to move up.:thumbsup:

Back