Is this normal?

tegbusa

Registered
I check tire pressure on a weekly basis and for the last couple of weeks i found out that front tire is loosing around 6 to 7 psi per week!! Rear tire is keeping almost the same pressure. Front is clean no nails no bent rim. ???

I've had the same problem with my '05 since I bought it. Didn't realize it was doing it for a while. I've looked for a bent rim, a crack in the wheel, I've asked the stealership to check the bead a few times when I've had rubber swapped, and changed valve stems and stem caps. No joy.

Now it's just a matter of adding 5lbs psi about every 3-5 days. Oddly enough, there are stints where it doesn't lose air and others that it loses 15+ in a week. I chalked those up to temp changes or something of that sort.

It's a PIA fo sho!

:dunno:

but

unclesam.jpg

:laugh:

I've had the same problem with my '05 since I bought it. Didn't realize it was doing it for a while. I've looked for a bent rim, a crack in the wheel, I've asked the stealership to check the bead a few times when I've had rubber swapped, and changed valve stems and stem caps. No joy.

Now it's just a matter of adding 5lbs psi about every 3-5 days. Oddly enough, there are stints where it doesn't lose air and others that it loses 15+ in a week. I chalked those up to temp changes or something of that sort.

It's a PIA fo sho!

Well, as long as i know it's normal then no prob for me to add psi every week. :thumbsup:

I notice 3-4lbs discrepancy with temperature changes, but usually don't have to add any air during stable weather temps.

D

The tire or rim shouldn't be so porous as to release that much air in such a short amount of time. You probably have a pinhole or your valve stem is leaking.

I check tire pressure on a weekly basis and for the last couple of weeks i found out that front tire is loosing around 6 to 7 psi per week!! Rear tire is keeping almost the same pressure. Front is clean no nails no bent rim. ???

Can't be right. I had my bike up on stands all winter and both tires lost about 3 pounds of pressure.

my rear tire use to do that and after looking it over and finding nothing out of the ordinary, I just let it go. I added about 7 - 8 psi every few days and thought it was just a normal thing.

Then I had it dynoed, and as it was being strapped down, there it was.... staring at me - I had a very small nail in it that I couldn't see until the bike was up closer to eye level. I ran green slime until I could get home and then I bought a new rear tire.

Now, I hardly ever have to add air to the tires.

Last edited:
You obviously should check the air pressure often, but should rarely have to add any. Sounds like you have a problem that you just haven't found yet.

I hope i don't need to replace it.. it's a BT016 and i only got 2.5k miles on it. I will check it tonight..

Fill a spray bottle with soapy water and spray it, look for bubbles. Not the chimp.:laugh:

Back