Ping: Suspension Gurus

Flicka

Professional Booga Flicka
Registered
So I'm all ready to install a set of Schnitz 1" Raising Links, but need to know what adjustments or changes should take place at the same time. I'll list a few items of concern below, so please chime in if you have any info. Also feel free to bring up anything I've left out.

Headlight Angle? I'm guessing the change won't be noticeable much if at all...?

Sidestand length? The bike should lean over a bit more when on the stand, but is it too much?

Rear Shock/Spring? I would think that some changes need to happen here, but I'm not exactly sure where to go with it. It is at the factory settings right now.

I would also like to add that these parts appear to be very well machined and finished. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for all your help! :beerchug:

DSCN0774crop.jpg

Let us know how you like going up 1. I still don't know if that's what I want to do, or go back a couple inches, with a 240 rear ??

You will notice the head angle change, that's the whole point of raising the rear. The bike will turn in quicker. The stock kickstand works fine. The extra lean is a good thing.

You're changing the geometry and weight distribution of the bike when you lift the tail and will probably need to do some tweeking to the suspension. Suspension tuning is an art form all to itself. Setting the SAG is pretty straight forward, Jinkster has a how to thread on it on the board.

https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/maintenance-do-yourself/89876-jinkster-attacks-suspension.html

Setting the rebound and compession is more seat of the pants. These are things to feel for when dialing those in. Make small ajustments, test, repeat.

LACK OF COMPRESSION DAMPINING (FORK)
1) Front-end dive while on the brakes becomes excessive.
2) Rear end wants to come around when using front brakes.
3) Front suspension bottoms out with a solid hit under heavy braking.
4) Front end has a mushy and semi-vague feeling

TOO MUCH COMPRESSION DAMPING (FORK)
1) Overly harsh ride with the front wheel
2) Bumps are felt directly through the chassis instantly
3) Brake dive is reduced drastically though the chassis is upset by bumps during braking.

LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (FORK)
1) Fork offers plush ride when riding straight up. But as speed is increased the feeling of contol is lost.
2) After hitting bumps at speed the front end tends to chatter or bounce.
3) When entering a corner at speed the bike will tend to wallow or porpoise before settling down.
4) As you increase speed, steering needs to be more aggressive and both chassis attitude and pitch becomes a real problem. You lose front end feed back after a hard countersteering turn.

TOO MUCH REBOUND DAMPING (FORK)
1) Ride is harsh
2) Under hard acceleration out of a corner the front end feels like it wants to "wiggle". And the tire feels it isn't staying in contact with the pavement when on the gas.

LACK OF COMPRESSION (REAR SHOCK)
1) Too much squat under acceleration and wants to steer wide exiting corners.
2) Hitting bumps at speed causes rear end to bottom
3) Chassis attitude affected too much by large dips and steering control becomes difficult.

TOO MUCH COMPRESSION DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
1) Ride is harsh, but gets worst the faster you go
2) Harshness hurts rear tire traction over bumps, especially during acceleration.
3) There is very little rear end squat under acceleration
4) Bumps are felt directly through the chassis and when hit a speed, the rear end attempts to kick up.

LACK OF REBOUND DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
1) Ride is plush at cruising speeds, but as speeds increase the chassis begins to wallow and weave.
2) Poor traction over bumps under hard acceleration.
3) Rear tire tries to chatter under hard acceleration.
4) Rear end can begin to pogo after hitting a bump

TOO MUCH REMOUND DAMPING (REAR SHOCK)
1) Very harsh ride with rear suspension action very poor with vague feeling
2) Poor traction over bumps during hard acceleration. Because of the lack of suspension action.
3) Bike wants to run wide in corners since rear is packed down, which forces a nose-high attitude.
4) Rear end wants to hop and skip when throttle is chopped during corner entries.

That's a lot of great information from BusaWhipped and Jinkster both. Thanks for the help! I ended up not getting the links installed today because it looked like I wouldn't have time to do any tuning before we leave for the Bash. I'll post up my impressions once I get this all done.

Back