for those who have checked their valves

Ban-One

Registered
I need to check mine. The dealer wants $300 just to check and adjust. I am mechanically inclined I just want to make sure I am aware of everything before I start. In case I have a problem that I am not sure of I will find out before I continue. My question is for those who have done it, did you think that it was hard and what is you skill level? I have all the tools that I need, although I do not have a rear stand and my torque does not go down to 7lb.
Do you really need a rear stand? What about the torque wrench? If I decide to do the valves, would any of you be ok with walking me threw it if I had a question?

How many miles do you have, how hard have you ridden it, what kind of oil do you use, how often do you change it?

I have 22k, all highway, no track, dont really get on it that much. Most of the time I just ease into it from a stop. I use full synthetic oil and change it every 4-5k.

Unless your bike is running rough or hard to start, I would not worry about it. $300 is pretty common for that service tho. I had mine checked at 18K and it sounds like I rode it harder than you and no adjustment was needed. I also used synthetic.

37,500 miles, valves checked, full synthetic since 600 miles....STILL in spec.....not hard, just take your time. I followed the book, and had no real problems.......

Checked missile at 20,000 and 0 out of adjustment. Just had the valves done this past weekend at 40,000 and all the intake side were running lean. Keep in mind, Lamb still has all the smog crap on it. Mechanic said that it does make a difference, the extra heat on the valves or something. Also, some track time since 20,000 and always run semi-synthetic. From what has been told and from what Lamb has seen, the spec time for adjusting the valves seems conservative.

I have 22k, all highway, no track, dont really get on it that much. Most of the time I just ease into it from a stop. I use full synthetic oil and change it every 4-5k.

I'm sure its fine.

In my opinion, I'd ride it this season and have the valves checked just before you store it in the Fall.
You'll be ready for Spring with no worries.

EDIT: I see your in Florida. I'd still wait til Fall.
30,000 ish.

Last edited:
I checked mine at 50,000 miles. All were right in the middle of spec. I was surprised really. I don't ride too hard most of the time, but I do like the occasional spirted rides with the group. I've been running full synthetic for 40 of the 50.

BTW, do you ride a white L/E and take I-95 south from Jacksonville to go home...I usually see you around SR210 at around 5:30. Providing, that is you? :whistle:

That would be me.

That's cool :thumbsup: I'm in my car half the time, but next time I see ya I'll wave.

But, if you have ever noticed the Blue/Silver '04 with high mounts...that's me!! Not to mention, the OMG bright blue HID headlight :beerchug:

You can't tell by how it's running if the valves are out of whack unless it's so far gone you're already suffering extensive damage from it.

Check at 15,000 miles and be sure. Not so difficult that you can't take the time.

$300 for a check and adjust is pretty good, IF they have to adjust. If they don't, they're going to tell you they did anyway and charge you for it. At least, in my twisted, suspicious little mind they will!! ;-)

--Wag--

Last edited:
Back