Hump locked on (I searched)

cobravenom39

Registered
Hey, for some reason now I can't unlock my tail.

I drilled a hole in my tail (where you can't see it) and stuck a coat hander in it. I had my hand up in there and pushed the retainer to the side and it wont unlock. I can push it a little bit, but it won't go all the way and unsnap the hump, even with my girlfriend pushin/pulling on it while I'm pressing it.

Is there any other way??

Remove the seats and the plastic piece between the ECU and tail of the bike and reach through to the back. Hard if you have big hands, but can be done.

I have little hands and I can get in there, but even when I move the slider release that the cable is hooked up to, it won't release.

I had the key in the tail and when I was moving the slider it was moving the key. The cable is in the slider, but the tail is jammed or something.

On my '06 it was hard at times to get the hump off with the key. At first it would kinda pop up a little. I hate to say it but you might need to tape off an area and put something in there to pry it with the key turned.

On my '06 it was hard at times to get the hump off with the key. At first it would kinda pop up a little. I hate to say it but you might need to tape off an area and put something in there to pry it with the key turned.

I hate to say it but I think you might be right. I could go in the front by the seat and pry it. I'd rather not, though.

I will get flamed again for this but.....
If you have a stock undertail, you can cut a hole in the bottom from on top of the rear wheel with an exacto knife.
Do it right where the latch is, and you can really reach up in there.
The piece you cut out can be replaced and joined back up with a soldering gun, and then a small bead of silicone.
It is all away from sight, so it won't hurt.
Don't ask me how I know...:whistle:

I don't like the idea of prying on parts that are in view.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
No need for flames, you're offering helpful advise.

I wanted to clarify that my intent was gentle ( tape off area ) I certainly didn't want anyone breaking their tailsection or damaging their hump.

If it's a bind and not a mechanic latch it will come with very little pressure applied.

I will get flamed again for this but.....
If you have a stock undertail, you can cut a hole in the bottom from on top of the rear wheel with an exacto knife.
Do it right where the latch is, and you can really reach up in there.
The piece you cut out can be replaced and joined back up with a soldering gun, and then a small bead of silicone.
It is all away from sight, so it won't hurt.
Don't ask me how I know...:whistle:

I don't like the idea of prying on parts that are in view.

Good Luck!

Well I broke down and did your idea. The tray is pretty thin so the razor went through it like butter. I reached up and feld that the cable had come loose from the guide or threshold, the part that holds the sleeve so the cable can pull. The ball was in the slide, but the cable sleeve was wedged inbetween the guide holder and the slide, and it was preventing the slide from being able to completely release. After i was done I took the 4"X4" slide and soldered the patch back in on both sides and then put a smear of silicone on each side. It's really sturdy and you can barely tell its there.

Awesome suggestion

No need for flames, you're offering helpful advise.

I wanted to clarify that my intent was gentle ( tape off area ) I certainly didn't want anyone breaking their tailsection or damaging their hump.

If it's a bind and not a mechanic latch it will come with very little pressure applied.

I appreciated your help and if it wasn't for the strange situation I'm sure your suggestion would have worked.

You guys are awesome.

CASE CLOSED

Good people of the ORG strike again.:thumbsup:
Nothing you can't find here.
Bubba

:thumbsup: Now I can quote that you told me to do it that way. LOL :laugh:
There are now 2 of us that know it works....and the number grows....

Necessity is the mother of invention. Glad it worked. :thumbsup:

Oh I wanted to add that now we know where to cut the next time...:whistle:

Last edited:
The cable has a small ball at end that goes into a small plastic hole. Then a few inches down there is a white piece that snaps in to a plastic bracket for alignment. Likely the cable came out of the little bracket and this allows the inside lock to exert more leverage on hump pegs/pins. Thus not unlocking. If you have an aftermarket undertail you are in luck...take small body pins out and you can get to it. Otherwise, read above with stock undertail...

Back