Why do people cover their tags in photos?

miserycaptain

Donating Member
Registered
I really never understood why many folks cover their license plate when submitting photos. It seems you can't cover it while out riding so folks could attain it then if they wanted???. Give me some insight as I never cover mine and now I am curious as to what the ramifications of this could be.

I agree. Seems silly to think someone will look up your plate number to come to your house to steel it,lol

Most cover their tags because with the tag number, infomation about you could be known with a little research. You are right that it is public anyway when on the road. But some feel that it is a good practice to protecting their idenity. I havent worried about it up to this point. But that is just my opinion.

It's ok if your friends know your tag...but do you want the "world" to know who you are and where you live ???

With a tag # you can find out a lot of info on the Web.

I never cover mine, but I think it comes down to a privacy issue, and while it's true someone could get your tag in public; the internet can be a scary place.

It's ok if your friends know your tag...but do you want the "world" to know who you are and where you live ???

With a tag # you can find out a lot of info on the Web.

How do you find more info? States are not prone to give license info to the general public.

How do you find more info? States are not prone to give license info to the general public.

There are a lot of crazy people out there, and for a fee there are websites that you
can find out EVERYTHING about someone with very little info :banghead:

Paranoid HOMO's You wanna come steal my bike? You better be prepared! Blurring out your lic plate is GHEY!

Too many freaks out there on the net.

You never know when you are going to piss some whacko off.

just for the heck of it, if you feel so inclined. Do a google search for your logon id. it should return a lot of .org posts.

Or even just do a search here for all posts.

When I was a bounty hunter I discovered how easy it is to obtain informaiton about people using the freedom of informaiton act.

If some nut job has a good friend who works in an environment that has access to DMV records all they need to do is provide your tags and they can get you address, drivers license number.

Bottom line is the wrong person with the right connections can cause a great deal of stress.

You could post up your license plate today and not have one enemy in the world. 2 years from now you could have pissed of a real nut job, and your informaiton could still be available on the net.

Paranoia? yeah maybe. but I allways say better safe than sorry. and I have seen nut jobs get peoples personal address and contact information. not much worse than knowing someone is a whaco and they know how to reach out and touch you

Scenario...Let's say you make a post on here that tells about you doing 150 mph down Highway X. LE could easily cross check who you are if they find pics of your bike with license.

Scenario 2: Let's say I wanted to go 150mph...hmmm, maybe I will get some graphic stickers and make your license plate mine. :whistle:

Privacy issue....and likely a good idea.

Also, do you know some people can do a DMV search from tags and get an address? Hmmm....maybe they are scouting out who has a Busa they can steal and part out. ???

I always thought it pointless too, just as easy to cruise by walmart:whistle:...at car shows & bike shows/sonic meets, everyone usually has thier tag on:poke:

people have accesss to DMV and with your license plate i can pull the DMV and know your name, address, how much you pay for the bike and if you finance it or not! you want to try one!:laugh:

My privacy is worth 10sec on the internet. I'll blur mine out. Greater chance on finding a deranged sicko on the web then driving around. Not that there are any here,but anyone not a member can view it. I'm not so much worried about the bike as I am my own personal internet privacy. Some people have families they are concerned with. Everyday we hear of some whacked out thing that happens. 10sec to help prevent that.... Not Ghey!

Never heard of plate being used to stalk someone or worse yet? Well Don't want to be the first to have that type of story created either. Just think pic your ride with clear shot at plate. Another pic with your loved one on it.... You can fill it the rest.

Paranoid... A motorcycle can be replaced. Loved ones can't.

Never know when that serial killer will arise and target plate owners that he spots on the web! :laugh:

Scenario...Let's say you make a post on here that tells about you doing 150 mph down Highway X. LE could easily cross check who you are if they find pics of your bike with license.

Scenario 2: Let's say I wanted to go 150mph...hmmm, maybe I will get some graphic stickers and make your license plate mine. :whistle:

Privacy issue....and likely a good idea.

Some person was busted for something(I forgot what) by posting it on You Tube. Wasn't violent that I do know. There was a hype about it not all that long ago. He was hit hard on the charge as to be made an example.

I guess the easiest way to describe it is if a person isnt concerned about their personal information then just put the following information in your signature

Name
Adddress
Phone number
Drivers License number
Social Security Number

Because if I wanted to, with a license plate number I can get the above informaiton and with the above information I could do what I wanted to do. Identiy theft, stalk someone, etc

Back