mrsBusawhipped's adventure!

mrsBusawhipped

No training wheels?
Donating Member
Registered
Well, I passed the MSF course!!! yipppeee!!!
Over all a great experience since I had none to begin with. :) I still have a lot of practicing to do, since my score was a 20 and 21 is failing. :whistle: I deserved every point I got, trust me.

I was pretty confident by the time the riding test came. I knew I would NOT pass the figure 8 test. I tried and tried with that one. Almost got it once. Of course the painted tight "S" turn, I nailed in practice, which is the same thing as the Figure 8 except the figure 8 is not "laid" out in the "box" that they have you perform this in. My breaking was great!!!! Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap, Tap is now my mantra even while driving my little manual shift PT cruiser. :laugh: And oh Yeah, you can't steer your car by pressing on the steering wheel. ??? I picked that up after the first day. Lets, just say the drive home was interesting, but safe!!! :laugh: Anyway, the last part of the test, I just knew I was gonna nail it. 2nd gear into a sweeping curve, speed up in the straight away and "Slow, look, and roll" into the next corner. I was so focused on trying to get my speed up (Thanks BA, GAS GAS GAS was what I was thinking :laugh:), I completely went over the lines on BOTH corners!!!:banghead: I nailed that in practice several times and actually it was one of my favorite parts of the course. So mad, that i messed it up and even more since I wore my VMANN T-shirt for luck and confidence. I sure didn't do that shirt justice. :( I was talking with a couple others while waiting for everyone to finish their test and I said, that no matter what, I still had a great experience and if I failed, I would come back again. I was amazed I actually made it through the whole class. After the riding test, they told us we passed and I just looked up and said thank you VMANN and thank you Jesus!!

I passed the written test with just one wrong answer. Everyone did very well on it as a matter of fact nobody got below a 96 (2 wrong answers). One guy in the class got a 0 on the riding test. He claims he hasn't ridden much, but he mastered that figure 8 and all the other courses we rode through.

The instructors were great. Bad Cop, Good Cop type deal. I appreciated both of their techniques. I didn't cry once when the Bad Cop kept yelling at me to LOOOK, TURN YOUR HEAD, TAP TAP TAP TAP, PRESS HARDER, THE BIKE WONT FALL OVER!!! He laughed when I told him of my ride home from the first class.

We did loose one student the first day. She had no experience either and was having trouble learning the controls. She ended up dumping the bike. She was ok, but I think she was shaken up and she and the Bad Cop talked a bit and both decided that maybe she should try again some other time.

All in all a great time, met a few people, one of which lives right down the road from me. Now I just need to go and take the written test and get that "M" endorsement on my license. Don't worry, I will put out an all points bulletin if I plan on getting on the road with the bike. :laugh: For now, practice and more practice in parking lots and maybe some parks with paved roadways.

No knees or bikes were harmed in this adventure!!! :thumbsup:

Congratulations!!!! :thumbsup: That's the first step, just take your time and have fun!!

Congrats. I enjoyed taking the class myself. Showed me alot I was doing wrong all my years of riding. Did you call you DMV yet. I did after the class, told them I had just finished taking the class and asked what I needed to do to get my endorsment. They told me to bring my card, license, and 20 bucks. Got there, filled out my papers, got a new pic taken and out the door. No written test or nothing. They said the class is enough to cover that. Might work the same for you. I practiced alot also in a parking lot across the street, sense the busa was new for me. Good luck with everything and be careful.:thumbsup:

congrats on your accomplishment, we are proud of you :beerchug:

Thanks guys. :blush:

Trust me, I will practice.... I don't want to be a danger to myself or others who ride with me. Right, now I probably would end up in the ditch somewhere!! :whistle: I wont laugh at those you tube videos anymore, where you see they guy ride the harley straight into the gully...

I wish MO didn't require the written test, but they do. The nice thing is you can ride on a permit forever. You have to renew it, I think every 6 months, but there is no limit on how many times. In MO, you can take the MSF course and not have to take the riding test, which I have heard is very hard if you have a big bike. They are basically the same test, but MSF you use their bike and you have the added benefit of them knowing you can do it and knowing you just choked on a test. State Trooper only knows what you show him at the test. Plus having taken the course will sometimes help out with Insurance rates too.

There was a guy in our class who had over 30 yrs of riding experience and he loved it. Matter of fact he wants to go and be an instructor now. :thumbsup:

Congrats!!

Now get out there and ride...

Safely...

Where and when your comfortable with it...

(like I'm one to talk, took me a year to rack up 900-miles)

Way to go Trish!!:cheerleader::bowdown::thumbsup::beerchug: Can't wait for Mary and I to do some riding with you and Dennis and the gang!

Congrats. I can tell you were probably a little too fast on the last test item. At least that is generally why students cross the lines. Don't sweat it too much because you have so many more sensory inputs on the road than you do on the range. As for the U-Turn Box, although it is a good skill to learn it is not something that you will normally have to do without putting your foot down if you need to .

Cheers :beerchug:

Also I don't like the Good Cop\Bad Cop teaching style. I don't think it contributes much and your instructors should both be "Good Cops". What we do on 2 wheels is fun and there is no need to yell at students.

Congratulations Trish...just keep getting lots of practice and the skills will come as long as you remember the things they taught you and don't ride like Don:)

Congrats trish now your on your way to riding with the big boys....:cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader::cheerleader:

You'll be draggin hard parts in no time.:whistle:

Congrats Trish :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Now you need to get out there and ride ride ride...

you know it takes GAS GAS GAS...brakes are optional :laugh:

Back