My baby has a nail in her foot!

Longstone

Registered
She felt a little loose in the back on heavy acceleration on the way home Tuesday. On my walk around Wed. morning before the ride I found the back tire flat. Found a huge nail in it. I had to ride the chopper :(

Anyway, I know the plug/patch or replace debate has been hashed several times on the board but what do you all think? I've called 3 different places in town, all say "sure get it patched" and when I ask to bring it in they all tell me "oh we won't do it for liability reasons". What?!?

My common sense tells me if folks won't patch it for liability concerns replace the thing because of what could happen. Even if nothing ever happened is it worth the risk? I commute to work 50 miles everyday and the idea of being stranded somewhere in between because of a slow leak doesn't sit well with me. The increased potential of going down because of a blow-out makes me feel even worse.

On the flip side, I've read several posts on this board (I use search :cheerleader:!), and spoke with a few folks that say patch it, it'll be fine. I just can't get rid of this nagging feeling that says replace it.

So allow me to ask something that's been asked before. What is the general consensus on the patch/plug or replace?

Replace it, if nothing else piece of mind.....plus patches aren't a good idea at high speeds either.

:beerchug:

We plugged my son's 1000 rear tire and it held up fine for a pretty long time but started leaking. The tire has a few miles left on it but we're gonna get a new one saturday. A 50 mile trip to work, I'd replace it, It ain't worth the risk i9n my opinion.

Yup, replace it. Oh and FYI you cant get a blow out because you have a nail in your tire or if you have a patch. When people get "blow outs" its caused by overused worn tires. And if you have radial tires like most motorcycle tires these days are, patching the tire wont do you any good (patch wont stick very long).

Last edited:
She felt a little loose in the back on heavy acceleration on the way home Tuesday. On my walk around Wed. morning before the ride I found the back tire flat. Found a huge nail in it. I had to ride the chopper :(

Anyway, I know the plug/patch or replace debate has been hashed several times on the board but what do you all think? I've called 3 different places in town, all say "sure get it patched" and when I ask to bring it in they all tell me "oh we won't do it for liability reasons". What?!?

My common sense tells me if folks won't patch it for liability concerns replace the thing because of what could happen. Even if nothing ever happened is it worth the risk? I commute to work 50 miles everyday and the idea of being stranded somewhere in between because of a slow leak doesn't sit well with me. The increased potential of going down because of a blow-out makes me feel even worse.

On the flip side, I've read several posts on this board (I use search :cheerleader:!), and spoke with a few folks that say patch it, it'll be fine. I just can't get rid of this nagging feeling that says replace it.

So allow me to ask something that's been asked before. What is the general consensus on the patch/plug or replace?

Alright, I've used fix it flat on more than a few tires. Never had an issue with just a nail or screw hole. Always got that last couple of thousand miles out of those tires without any issues. No. I didn't ride it like I had a brand new tire on it.

Patch it....

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.

I think you already know what you should do,just looking for a little push....

change it,it will always be in the back of your mind while you are riding if you dont.it really isnt all that expensive if you think about it .

Patch it....

Dunlop recommends only permanent repairs performed from the inside of the tire, using a combination patch/plug method. Never attempt a repair from the outside, or inject a sealant, or simply use an innertube, a patch or a plug as a substitute for a proper repair.

Only a qualified tire repair shop or motorcycle tire dealer should perform repairs. Inspection of the tire and adequacy of repair becomes the responsibility of the person actually performing the repair and Dunlop does not warrant the results of a repair in any way. Combination patch/plug repair kits for use by the repair shop or dealer are available with accompanying instructions from companies such as:

Remarco Inc.
200 Paris Ave.
Northvale, NJ 07647
(201) 768-8100

Technical Rubber Co.
P.O. Box 486
Johnstown, OH 43031
(740) 967-9015

Tip-Top/Moto Combi Kit

Tech Uni-Seal® Repair Kit (Also has been marketed by Honda, Kawasaki, and Yamaha with their own part numbers.)

NOTE: There may be suitable repair kits and materials provided by manufacturers other than those listed above.

Before any repair should be attempted, however, a tire must be removed from the wheel and thoroughly inspected. The following are minimum guidelines for the repairer:

Tires should not be repaired if any of the following conditions exist:

1. A tire has been previously injected with a sealant/balancer.
2. The puncture is larger than 6mm (1/4") in diameter.
3. The puncture is not perpendicular to the carcass.
4. The puncture is in the tire sidewall.
5. Separation of plies, tread separation, separation of any other components.
6. Cut or broken ply cords.
7. Broken or damaged bead wires.
8. Cut or damaged chafers (bead area).
9. Deterioration of the carcass inside the tire due to "run flat" or underinflation.
10. Cracks or other damage to the integrity of the inner liner.
11. Excessive wear - tire should have at least 1/32 of an inch of tread depth, excluding tread wear indicators.
12. Cracks in sidewall or tread.
13. Impact breaks, cuts, snags or gouges that penetrate the surface.

NOTE:

1. There should be no more than one repair in any quarter of the tire and no more than two repairs per tire.
2. The wheel itself must be in good condition. Any cracked or bent wheel, however slightly, may allow the loss of air and cause subsequent deflation of the tire.
3. Following repair, the valve assembly should be replaced and the tire/wheel rebalanced.
4. Speed should not exceed 50 mph for the first 24 hours after tire repair and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph. The repairer is solely responsible for instructing the motorcyclist as to the restrictions to be placed on tire use following repair.

In summary, NO form of temporary repair should be attempted. Motorcycle tire repairs leave no room for error and any doubt as to inspection or adequacy of repair should be resolved by discarding the tire.

Be sure to consult our Motorcycle Tire Limited Warranty, Care and Maintenance brochure for additional information regarding the use of Dunlop tires. Seek a qualified motorcycle tire repair center for more details. NEVER ATTEMPT TO REPAIR A DAMAGED TIRE WITHOUT THE AIDE OF AN EXPERIENCED TIRE MECHANIC.

Having worked for Michelin N. America on the commercial side for years in the past I would feel comfortable having it repaired professionally "from the inside" using a patch and hot rubber extruder.

These same methods are used for commercial truck tires w/ massive load rates. As long as the tire casing is still in good shape and the damaged area meets the criteria it will be fine. Clean, fill with extruder (hot rubber), patch, seal and set.

Also, it depends how you ride. If you are doing track days and making extended 180+ mph runs (which it doesn't look like you are) then I would get a new tire. But if you are commuting and hitting the occassional twisty road I would have no concerns.

If you are gonna be racing with it I would change it, If your gonna be going back and forth from work just patch it and keep riding. :whistle:

If the tire is fairly new...patch it...from the inside. You won't have a problem
with a professional repair...I wouldn't be doing 180 mph runs on it, but you
can get the rest of the life of the tire with the proper *patch* not plug.

I have used the heavy "hair" plugs in my rear tires for years without incident. I personally would plug it if the tire had any worth while thread left...

You should replace it though....because everyone says so...:whistle::laugh:

I have patched and plug and had good luck with both. either way keep a close eye on it and the right amount of air in it is main thing

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I just replaced it. Purchased it from RevZilla because they had free shipping, and price matched another site who had a lower price but wanted to charge an addition $20 to ship.

Again, thanks for the help making a decision.

The tire has plenty of life left in it. Do you think someone would be interested in buying it? I want to be clear here. I don't want to sell it if it's a risk to anyone. But there seem to be many that don't have a problem patching it. So with that said, if anyone wants it cheap + the cost of shipping PM me. It's a Pirelli Diablo Strada Rear Tire 190/50ZR17.

IMAGE_160.jpg

IMAGE_161.jpg

IMAGE_162.jpg

IMAGE_163.jpg

Last edited:
Have a patch in a new rear qualifier for two seasons now with out a problem.
The only problem I've had is forgetting it's there and sometimes going a bit to fast for a patched tire.

Back