Hopefully a different spin on the gsxr 1000 vs Hayabusa question

WHITEtt

Registered
Hello,

I am both new to the site and trying to decide between the Hayabusa and gsxr 1000, but I'm not asking the generic "which one is faster" question, because that is not my top priority. I care about reliability, acceleration and comfort, and I have also met people who owned Hayabusa's getting 40K+ miles without major engine repairs and that gets my attention.

I drove a gsxr 750 for about a year before selling it, and now am interested in having a more powerful bike. I consider myself to be a decent and careful rider and have not yet (thanks to God) had an accident of any kind. Because I rode to work and school almost every day, I've ridden through all 4 seasons, all kinds of temperatures and weather and all that fun stuff that gives great learning experiences and helped me to get to know my machine very well.

My question is this: I will be driving either vehicle almost every day, with 8-10 mile commutes both ways, and I want to know which one I will enjoy driving more throughout the year and putting a ton of miles on. I know the Hayabusa is more comfortable because I've sat on both, but I'm worried about the weight of the machine and the ease of u-turns. Would you think it would be best for me to get the 1000 as it is similar in weight and feel to the 750 I had, or is the weight of the Busa not all that bad? Will I easily learn to get used to it? I want to be confident in turns with either vehicle and not have to worry about it toppling over.

-Also, if anyone knows, which bike has the less "twitchy" throttle so that I can drive smoothly in the rain and such?

Thanks
-Andrew

Well on the 08's Busa you can use B or C mode for rain, or slippery conditions. The GSXR is a nice ride, but for comfort and raw power/acceleration I'm happy with I got. :cheerleader:

Get the Busa :thumbsup:

Now if you go ask those questions @ Gixxer.com they will say get the Gixxer :whistle:

Oh forgot to mention I have to buy used, so like a 2005-6 GSXR 1000 or like a 2003 Hayabusa.

Sorry that would have been important to mention.

I just got my Busa but was faced with similar options as you when I did.....I chose the Busa because of comfort mainly, and what it overall is about. The 1k would be fun but its a sportbike, built for different things than the Busa is IMO. I admittedly am still getting used to the ride, but it is a very good powercurve with a smooth ride even downlow, but still has plenty of punch when you want it. As soon as you sit on it though you know you are on a bigger bike.

Whichever you go with you will probably be happy with, but in either scenario what mods you do to the bike will have a huge effect on it, and what condition the bike is in when you get it.

I obviously chose the Busa and haven't looked back, plus the community here is a great resource full of good guys.

:beerchug:

i have both and would tell you go with the busa for what you want to do, the weight wont be an issue once the bike is rolling...i never commute on my gixx, its much easier to take the busa and save the gixx for the track or those weekend canyon runs once in a while......get the BUSA!!! you wont be sorry

Oh forgot to mention I have to buy used, so like a 2005-6 GSXR 1000 or like a 2003 Hayabusa.

Sorry that would have been important to mention.

How much are you planning on spending, that you are considering a 3 year difference between the 2 types of bikes i thought they were more or less the same price. Comfort sold me my Busa they both have more top end speed and acceleration than you should be using on the street jmo. Can't go wrong with either as far as weight is concerned i don't feel the difference cause I use the motor to move it through the streets u turns included.:laugh:

Hmm, maybe I should check more prices then for both, but I am hoping to spend less than $8,000 on the bike, and then I can pay for the insurance in advance and not worry about it for a year.

had a gsxr 1000 now the busa the busa hands down for what your looking for. Let me see your looking for power, comfy, smooth accel. and can hang in the corners hmmmm busa

:welcome: to the org. i have both and they are both fun in there own way, every time i ride it is a hard decision, seems like the 1000 is more fun to ride hard and flick around, and the busa to ride hard out on long roads and alot of corners, whichever you get you will enjoy, but since you are asking on a busa form, go for it and get the busa.

My busa is apart for paint so Ive been riding a friends ZX10 for the last couple of weeks, the ergonomics and comfort for daily commuting are very different. I have a 36 mile round trip to work, the zx10 is NOT for cummuting that far IMO. For that reason id say Busa. You cant throw it around like a 1000, but you can still enjoy the twisties.

im gonna say the 1000. ???

you said a 8-10 commute each way. for comfort that's not gonna be bad on the 1000.

Can you ride the 1000 long distance? sure why not, is the busa gona be more comfortable? yes.

I just think I still have the sport bike bug in me, I went from a 600rr to a gen II busa.

I got my busa for comfort as my dad has a goldwing and he was making me worn out with the road trips and I have some back problems and riding my 600rr wasn't helping.

they are both beasts of a bike. as mentioned the 1000 is gonna be the more nimble machine, the busa is gonna be that comfy muscle.

Hi, GregBob here on Tuf's computer.

As one of those "I have both" people, there is one major problem with any sportbike: I think they are really boring to ride on the street unless you are travelling at felony speeds. As my speeding tickets began to pile up, I turned to the track for speed. The gsxr requires way less physical effort and gets around a lot faster, but the busa is still really fun.

For fun on the street, it's GOLDWING all the way. I can U turn my wing in the WIDTH of two parking stalls (ie 14'ish feet) at about 1 mph. It handles great, huge comfort, tubine smooth engine with good power, storage space for groceries or trips, wind protection for comfy riding on cold days, and it is still a challenge on the street at reasonable speeds. And parking lot drills (dragging engine guards) are a blast and will attract people who share the obsession.

Also perfect for two up; my ex used to actually fall asleep. It also has an intercom, stereo, and, and, and. Cupholder is optional.

Plus, Wing people are the nicest in the world.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/wingturn1.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/wingturn2.jpg

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/GregBob_photos/wingturn3.jpg

My son has an 07 1000 and i have an 08 busa. The busa rides a lot better but the 1000 is lighter and is easier to handle. I like them both but if I had to choose it would be the busa. Greg Bob, Hows the wheelieing comin, Haven,t heard any updates.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the bike when you are NOT commuting. if you like being comfy, go busa. if you like thrashing a bike through twisties, go with the 1K. I live in northern indiana, home of no twisties to speak of, so i see a 1000 as pointless around here. It's ALL straight lines around me.

I cant see you being unhappy with either bike though, they are both fantastic machines.

Back