M/C Smog Checks

I've had two vehicles this past week out of Georgia that had expired vehicle license because of air quality test. Both vehicles were 10 + years old.

I've had two vehicles this past week out of Georgia that had expired vehicle license because of air quality test. Both vehicles were 10 + years old.

Yeah, the Atlanta area pulls smog checks. Right now people are having a tough time paying the tag fees, let alone the smog check fees plus repairs.

It's hard to tell if the auto shops running the smog tests are telling the truth some time. Do I need a catalytic coverter, or just a sensor?

I remember when I lived there that there was a $200 cap on the repairs needed to recieve a tag though.

The Cali thing is about bikes. Motorcycles until the past 2 years didn't have emsissions systems. That requires cats, and closed loop systems.

Yeah, the Atlanta area pulls smog checks. Right now people are having a tough time paying the tag fees, let alone the smog check fees plus repairs.

It's hard to tell if the auto shops running the smog tests are telling the truth some time. Do I need a catalytic coverter, or just a sensor?

I remember when I lived there that there was a $200 cap on the repairs needed to recieve a tag though.

The Cali thing is about bikes. Motorcycles until the past 2 years didn't have emsissions systems. That requires cats, and closed loop systems.

Currently the proposal is to test model year 2000 and later.

California Planning Motorcycle Smog Checks

Check out this, no Cali stickers on Yamaha's, 2,000,000 fine.

California Slaps Yamaha With $2 Million Air Pollution Fine

The EPA says a M/C spews more pollutants than an SUV. And we know how they have been demonized.

I'm all for keeping the sky blue but, IMO the California Air Resources Board has way too much power.

If you ride a 2000 model bike, there is very little one can do to improve the very small amount of pollutants that they disperse. If the bike is injected, the only thing that can affect emissions are the the plugs and possibly the air filter.

If a bike is carburated, then there are minor tuning issues.

There is no way my bike pollutes more than my Dodge Ram 1500.

There is no way my bike pollutes more than my Dodge Ram 1500.

The EPA's opinion differs from yours. Read paragraph one.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03046.pdf

More evidence.

Long story short: Motorcycles, even small ones, are more polluting than Hummers, but it's the best that can be done for now. If you want to make a difference, consider an electric two-wheeler for your next bike or a gas-powered model with fuel injection and a 3-way catalytic converter.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-throttle11-2008jun11,0,3268856.story

Last edited:
Look at the extreme misrepresentation in this article, here is a visual (photo) they used to represent the emissions of a Yamaha motorcycle, someone please smack them upside the head and tell them that that is a picture of someone doing a burn-out and not actual emissions :spank:

Caption under the pic is...... An extreme case of motorcycle emissions

20080125_motorcycle.jpg

common sense would tell you that the four lane highways filled bumper to bumper with 4 whel behemoths idleing along at 20mph 3:30 to 7:00pm everyday are the problem.....

but why should common sense and the cali. legislature even been used in the same sentence

The EPA's opinion differs from yours. Read paragraph one.

http://www.epa.gov/otaq/regs/roadbike/420f03046.pdf

More evidence.

Long story short: Motorcycles, even small ones, are more polluting than Hummers, but it's the best that can be done for now. If you want to make a difference, consider an electric two-wheeler for your next bike or a gas-powered model with fuel injection and a 3-way catalytic converter.

Motorcycles and emissions: The surprising facts - Los Angeles Times

Yeah, like I believe everything the government tells me! ??? ??? ???

No worries here in FL. No inspections..........period! We can duct tape them together and go. :laugh:

Emissions testing is being proposed, not a safety inspection. We don't have either at the moment. The EPA has adopted the current Cali standard as their own though. As the air quality standards are tightened up you can bet other states will be soon to follow.

PC3's, TRE's, Pair and marble mods, reflashed ECU's, punched or removed cats will be auto fails. Gas caps, non OEM exhausts, air box mods may be too.

Back