Synthetic at 600 miles?

Vonderbach

Your AD here!
Donating Member
Registered
I have read a few comments on this board that seem to shy away from synthetic oils for a new bike. Can someone elaborate as to why this is a bad thing?

Well, I not an expert and I'm sure someone else will chime in but it is usualy because some say the motor will not break in properly with synth oil. I switched to synth at my first service and haven't had any problems. Other switch at 3000 miles. IMO, switching at 600 is fine.

I switched at 600 as well and now have 35k with no issues. How would you know though? It is likely not a big deal. If you read Brocks website he has a whole different kind of break in. way to much for me though. I think on my next one though I would go out a little further on the mileage before switching. maybe 600 and then another 1k and then switch.

A friend of mine that works at a suzuki dealer told me that synthetic would hurt the bike more than it would help. He told me why but I was day dreaming.:whistle:

I need to change the oil on my wife's bike this weekend, so I am hoping to get a good concensus from the experts here before the end of the day. She's got 1200 miles on her GSXR600 without an oil change, so it's bordering on urgent now.

I still have a few hundre miles before I hit my 600, which I plan to reach for this weekend. ;)

Synthetic oil is expensive. Switch when you want. I put standard oil in mine, but the last quart is synthetic. Giving you the same benefit as if you put an entire gallon of synthetic.

Synthetic oil is expensive. Switch when you want. I put standard oil in mine, but the last quart is synthetic. Giving you the same benefit as if you put an entire gallon of synthetic.

With all due respect, I can't see how that would be true. Wouldn't you essentially get a diluted synthetic at that point?

Last edited:
I went with synthetic at my second oil change which was at 1500 miles. You can go at 600 if you want with no problem. There are alot of high dollar cars that come with syn. from the factory.

I would wait for synthetic until you have at least 1000 miles of break-in. Really no need to change right now. If you ride hard change it at 1500-2000 miles, otherwise you can go a little longer. Save your money for something else right now.

When you install synthetic rear oil with non synthetic rear oil it will turn into a paste that looks like tar. The rear will fail and we have voided many warranties due to this failure. Don't know about engine oil but I would never mix regular engine oil with synthetic engine oil.

I have read a few comments on this board that seem to shy away from synthetic oils for a new bike. Can someone elaborate as to why this is a bad thing?

I won't harm the engine to use it at 600 miles, and many new performance cars come with it from the factory. The reason they say to wait is so the new parts (mainly the rings) can fully seat in, so the engine can make the most HP possible for that engine.

I prefer the Mototune method...and use a full synthetic right after break in :thumbsup:

Break In Secrets--How To Break In New Motorcycle and Car Engines For More Power

When you install synthetic rear oil with non synthetic rear oil it will turn into a paste that looks like tar. The rear will fail and we have voided many warranties due to this failure. Don't know about engine oil but I would never mix regular engine oil with synthetic engine oil.

Rear oil?????????? BTW, Amsoil mixes with any oil made.

Oil post are almost pointless because of all the variables. I would say the biggest rule of oil is "MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ENOUGH IN YOUR BIKE"
*Here are my experiences with oil and break in*
1. Friend has 07 GSXR 1000 with 15K miles, pulled it out the show room and ran it WOT in 6th down the interstate in the first 5 miles. Beats the **** out of this bike. Changes oil every 2k miles and filter. Had it on dyno with 2 other identical K7's on the same day an it made more power than both of them.

2. one of the top builders in the industry said to my face "all this oil **** is like the Y2K scare ****, just make sure you change your oil and keep enough in it, although he did say not to run synthetic in the bike until after 1K miles and thats only if i wanted to

3. I changed my oil every 2k miles and filter, ran castrol actevo semi-synthetic, had my motor built for a turbo at 12K miles. Builder said it looked immaculate inside. Bike was run very hard, lots of top end, interstate riding for 100+miles at a time at sustained 5K

so who freaking knows just pick an oil, stick to it and keep it changed. I don't know if i really believe in break in, i ran everything i ever had pretty hard off the bat and never had any problems....I mean you have a turbo or all motor built the builder just heat cycles it and then pours the coals to it, none of that 1/4 throttle 500mile stuff

Last edited:
:laugh: gonna get alot of different opinions here:laugh:

Well, it's time to leave, so I decided to go with natural fossil fuel. I will consider the synth on the next go around.

Thanks to all for your input! :)

Back