Water pump removal.

Zoinks!

Registered
I'm not taking it completely off, just moving it out of the way so I can get the shift housing off. I'm going to leave the hoses connected but am wondering if i need to still drain the coolant. It looks to me like it's a sealed pump, but I don't know for sure. If I leave the hoses connected can I just move it out of the way without draining the coolant?

I would say drain the coolant I've never removed mine, but just to avoid a possible mess I would do it.

if you want to get to the shift linkage ,mechanism.you will have to pull the engine.there is one or two bolts that cannot be removed with it in the bike.or at least that is the experiance that i had.mabey there is a special tool that will help. Good luck

if you want to get to the shift linkage ,mechanism.you will have to pull the engine.there is one or two bolts that cannot be removed with it in the bike.or at least that is the experiance that i had.mabey there is a special tool that will help. Good luck

Yea, I noticed that one little 8mm bolt that doesn't look too promising, but I think I'm going to loosen the engine mounts and raise the enging about a 1/4 inch and I think i can get it.

no need to drain the coolant, swing the pump out of the way.. if you are talking about the little bolt hidden behind the kickstand bracket... a little dremel work does wonders on the frame that is in the way :whistle:

Just had the mine off of my K8 to install an Evo-Star shift kit. This thread was invaluable:
https://www.hayabusa.org/forum/general-bike-related-topics/92211-more-shifting-help.html
No, you don't have to drain the coolant. Just remove the two bolts holding the water pump to the block and ziptie it up out of the way. The kickstand needs to be removed and there is one bolt that's a biotch but with an offset 8 mm boxend wrench it's doable without removing the motor or grinding on the frame. Harbor Freight has an offset boxend wrench set for like $12.99 that pays for itself on just this one job. Took about 2 hours start to finish.:thumbsup:

Great. . . I already drained the coolant. . . Now I gotta take the right fairing off so I can fill it back up later. . . I knew it looked like it was sealed. Why didn't I just wait for some more replies?:banghead:

no need to drain the coolant, swing the pump out of the way.. if you are talking about the little bolt hidden behind the kickstand bracket... a little dremel work does wonders on the frame that is in the way :whistle:

Thanks for the info! I'll probably do that rather than unbolting the engine. Probably much less trouble.

Do the dremel or the offset box end wrench.
You don't have to touch the engine mounting.

Good luck!

Well I knew I could get to it. I have offset box ends, it just didn't look like I could get it all the way out. There's not much room. But I'll just grind a little if I need to.

Back