Oil Changes

bigc70

Registered
I've for a question about changing my oil.

I have a 2008 Busa(blue/gold in case you're curious). Bought it last year and had the 1st service/oil change done on it ~650 miles last summer (July maybe?). I live in Cleveland, OH so the bike has been put away all winter (started it and let it run for a while whenever it was >32 degrees). I now have ~2900 miles on it. Should I do another oil change before we get into heavy riding season? Or should I just wait until I hit -X- amount of miles on her. What are your opinions?

Change the oil and filter :beerchug:

And go with this...10w-40 Full Synthetic :thumbsup:

Mobil_1_Racing_4T_10W40_Motor_Oil_detail.jpg

AMSOIL Full Synthetic + Filter change every 600 miles.:whistle:

Last edited:
I will probably try the Amsoil full synthetic next oil change (soon). I had some motor work done, and I want the rings to seat well before I go with the full synthetic.

Im not joking about it at all. I have been a mechanic my entire life and oil is the blood of the engine. Its probably THE most important thing in your engine. Not only will you get stupid ( alot ) mileage. But they will be trouble free, powerful miles. I think its even more important that in a Busa it gets changed often because of the fact its got a wet clutch setup. That right there is enough of a reason for me. It is a bit expencive. But compaired to engine repairs or replacement its not. In N.Y. I buy the AMS wholesale so its not too bad but it retails for around $8.50 a Qt. I use a K & N or a Wix oil filter every 600 miles.
And that will keep me going a long,long,long time.....:beerchug:

Im not joking about it at all. I have been a mechanic my entire life and oil is the blood of the engine. Its probably THE most important thing in your engine. Not only will you get stupid ( alot ) mileage. But they will be trouble free, powerful miles. I think its even more important that in a Busa it gets changed often because of the fact its got a wet clutch setup. That right there is enough of a reason for me. It is a bit expencive. But compaired to engine repairs or replacement its not. In N.Y. I buy the AMS wholesale so its not too bad but it retails for around $8.50 a Qt. I use a K & N or a Wix oil filter every 600 miles.

Do you bring oil with you on long rides? I've done 800 miles in a day.

That's just ridiculous and a huge waste of oil...but hey, this (is) America, land of the CONSUMER, whether its necessary or not. Never riding over 600 miles at a time would also suck! Imagine on my last tour from CA across NV and AZ and then UT and back across NV and CA. Or the one before that from CA to CO and back or from CA to MT and back...whew, I better check my oil!:whistle::rofl:

I guess man???, i understand it's the blood of the engine, but oil is made to with stand for a couple 1000 miles unless you racing, Now that im 15000 i change mine every 2k:thumbsup:....

Well if that was the case where I was doing that kind of mileage, I would do it before and or after a ride like that. The longest ride for me is 3oo miles. And listen, bottom line is the more you change your oil the better in my professional opinion. I wouldn't mind doing some kind of mileage test to see whose engine last longer without a mechanical failure.I would take the smart bet that mine will last longer. Just as an example, I had a 77 Chevy van that I got from my mother. She was the 2nd owner. When she gave it to me it had about 95,000 miles on it. She changed the oil and filter every 2,500 miles. When I got it I changed the all the gaskets except for the heads, and changed the oil every 2,000 miles with a good brand 10-w40 weight and when I sold it it had 500,000 miles on it. Laugh and poke fun all you want. I stick to what works for longevity....:whistle:

Personally, I think synthetic is a waste of money. Engine oil today is so much better than the old days. Synthetic is overkill. Just my opinion.

I will probably try the Amsoil full synthetic next oil change (soon). I had some motor work done, and I want the rings to seat well before I go with the full synthetic.

You DO realize that in a modern engine, the rings do all the "seating" they are gonna do within the first 20 miles or so, right?

Last edited:
Buy the oil by-pass system off the other thread, and no more need for oil changes.:thumbsup::laugh: Oh yea, it's best to change your oil every mile. :whistle:

Last edited:
Back