best GPS for the bike

gsx1300rr

Registered
I am about to buy a GPS for bike trips, does anyone know which is the best out there? and where can I find it? thanks

I am using a Garmin Quest II. Portable for bicycling, hiking, m/c and car use. Turn by turn voice prompts, route to etc. Many of my friends have the 550 Zumo which is the preferred choic eof many long distance riders.

Oh thank you, those are pretty pricey units. Do you install them and just leave the on the bike? Or do you have to take it off after each ride?

I have a Zumo 550, but there are less expensive units. Just depends on how much you want to spend.

Purpose built, water proof and what you asked for, the best... ZUMO 550 :) I still use a map myself... (does not play music for me however... :( )

I just ordered the Zumo 660. I think "best" is a relative term based on the functionality each user likes. For example, I personally prefer my ipod for the music so that feature isn't as valuable to me as the route planning capabilities are.

I just ordered the Zumo 660. I think "best" is a relative term based on the functionality each user likes. For example, I personally prefer my ipod for the music so that feature isn't as valuable to me as the route planning capabilities are.
Now that looks nice.. when did it come out? maybe I can get a 550 on sale now? :)

nevermind... found the info... it is brand new.. and the Garmin site has this posted right now.. but it is for sale

Notice:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

Last edited:
Now that looks nice.. when did it come out? maybe I can get a 550 on sale now? :)

nevermind... found the info... it is brand new.. and the Garmin site has this posted right now.. but it is for sale

Notice:

This device has not been authorized as required by the rules of the Federal Communications Commission. This device is not, and may not be, offered for sale or lease, or sold or leased, until authorization is obtained.

I should be able to pick it up on the 13th. Evidently they have to say that until the legal kinks are worked out regarding some of the new building modeling. They're already producing them so all is a go.

The 450's are discontinued so you can get a pretty good deal on those and I'm sure the 550's will come down in a week.

Best comprises How are you going to us it and How Much you want to spend $$$$$$ . Do you want ALL the Bells and Whisles :whistle: or just an accurate GPS. Big screen or small, touch or push button ? As they get easier, bigger and more useless (for me anyway) functions the $$$$$$ climbs really quick to $1,000 and above.

So, what are your needs ?

Back