C Clip on chain

1slowbusa

Registered
I installed a C clip on my chain because i didnt have a tool to compress the master link that came with the chain. I went to the suzuki dealership to see if they had a tool that i could buy and they didnt. But they gave me a c clip masterlink to put on the chain instead. My question is would you guys trust this? Sorry i dont have any pics i am out of town right now to take any.

Make sure the closed end of the loop is facing the drive direction of the chain. Rivet that thing ASAP (don't pay a dealer to do it, use that $ to buy a rivet tool for yourself!).
No burnouts, high speed runs until you make it an endless chain. Raydog

I have used one for years and have never had a problem. The clip is not a stress bearing part of the chain. As long as its installed correctly, you wont have any problems. Think about all the high HP drag bikes and other race bikes that use them. I have never heard of anyone having a chain failure because of the clip. Maintain the chain and you wont have any problems.

Now, if your using a "C" clip instead of the clip that came with the master, you may have a problem. Are you running it without the side plate on the master?

Last edited:
although the c-clips are not very popular (I do not like them myself) they will work..

better is the master that uses set screws.. (I will see if I can find the link for you) and best is a riveted chain..

Personally, I would take the bike to someone that has a chain vice for crimping the master and let them put one on the bike.. (make sure you get a master from the same maker of the chain for the type you have)..

http://www.motorcycle-atv-chains.com/site/898526/product/mstr2 one source..

Last edited:
40 years of motorcycling experience....
Don't risk it on a clip master link.
Beg borrow or steal the tool.
Your life is worth more than that.
It may work, but why take the chance?
These toys will go 200 mph -WAY too much for a clip.

OK.... flame away!

Does anyone know of or personally had a correctly installed clip masterlink fail? Why would they keep producing them if they were dangerous? Hell a lawyer would have a field day with that.

A friend of mine lowered and stretched his GSXR1000 and has run 173 MPH GPS speed with two clips. Instead of buying a longer chain when he stretched the swingarm he added a piece of chain with two clips. I asked him how they worked and he said fantastic but silicone the clips on to the link.

the key is "properly installed" I got a chain tool just because I could afford one.. Hate to say it but there are a few that work on machines that are not competent to add oil safely.. :laugh: chain saw and a fire axe repair jobs usually end up getting a bad rap to some guy that sold them the parts..

:clap:
the key is "properly installed" I got a chain tool just because I could afford one.. Hate to say it but there are a few that work on machines that are not competent to add oil safely.. :laugh: chain saw and a fire axe repair jobs usually end up getting a bad rap to some guy that sold them the parts..

hahahha...has anyone ever seen one of these come apart? no....

its the same master link as a press on, same size,same specs.

stop the propaganda, there is nothing dangerous about the link. the problem is people put them on incorrectly, or they re-use the clips...which break. wthout the clip the master link will fall apart, then your chain falls off.

i run them on my 200+hp dragbikes....not a single problem.

Does anyone know of or personally had a correctly installed clip masterlink fail? Why would they keep producing them if they were dangerous? Hell a lawyer would have a field day with that.
+100 I have several friends that race with this set up and they have never had a problem. If they were that dangerous they wouldn't be selling them, and trust me drag racers wouldn't be using them. Installed correctly they're fine.

exactly, note direction and they work, keep clean and lube, most importantly be sure the link is the precise size, the slightest reduction or increase in size will wear sprockets out in a hurry...

Back