Heli Bars and rubber grips

mikejmd

Registered
I am considering purchasing heli bars for my '09 Busa.
Even after relaxing my "death grip", my wrists hurts after a short period of time.
My question is: how do you remove the rubber grips, or do they need to cut them off and replace with new ones. If they do need replacement is there a particular one (length and inner diameter) that is required? Can anyone recommend a specific brand and size if replacement is necessary.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

Taking the grips off is pretty easy, just squirt a bit of liquid soap or washing up fluid and squidge about until they free up and slide off.

Dont know about putting them back onto heli's as i put heated grips on when i did mine. I guess they will be just the same though so there should be no problem.

Andy.

You can also insert a standard screw driver from the butt up to the top of the grip and alittle rubbing alcohol and rotating the screw driver around the bar will allow you to just slip it off.

and you dont need to remove the throttle grip, it slides off with switch housing and simply slide it back on to the helli bars...

if you havent completed your order i have a new set of helibars for the 09 busa let me know if you can use them, also have a new throttle meister .

Have you adjusted your levers so that your hands lay in a natural position? Typically the clutch & brake lever come elevated above the bar, this forces your wrists into an un-natural postion. Sit on the bike in a natural riding position w/ your hands in line w/ your arms. Adjust the levers so they keep your hands in this line.

Sorry ODB, my order was already completed by the time I read your reply, and MPH 200, thank you for your suggestion. I will definately try doing that.

Thanks, Mike

Mine cane off easy and I just added a little glue to help it stick better when I put it back on.

I wear gel padded gloves which grip nice and with less force to hold throttle. Making longer rides easier to deal with. However they not safety gloves.

Did mine about a month ago and I reused old grips. Take a que tip swab dip in alcohol and start rubbing around grip face near control housing. Take a rounded dowel (nothing sharp like a screwdriver blade) and gently lift up the grip where it meets the bar and push the swab in. Repeat process eventually the grip glue will loosen and come off easily. Hair spray the bar an slide grip back on. Won't lossen up. Many types of adhesive you can use.:thumbsup:Wardie

Read on the board here that compressed air will help remove grip. I tried it - worked like a charm. No muss or fuss!

CW

I love a product called Sem Solve that is used to remove paint overspray without damaging the paint. This is great stuff.

Put on Heli Bars two weeks ago and had the same problem as you. On a guess, I poured a couple of drops of Sem Solve around the grip and in about 5 seconds the grip slipped off smooth as butter! (surprised me it worked so well!)

What's even better, I slid the grip onto the new Heli Bars and after about 15 minutes it had reglued itself onto the new bars.

Folks, I have replaced more grips in the past 30 years than you can imagine and I never had it so easy. No screwdrivers, no ripped grips, no cursing. This was the easiest ever.

Sem Solve is a little hard to find. Look in your yellow pages for whoever sells professional automotive paints in your area. A $15 can of this stuff will last you for years and you will be really glad to have it in your shop.

sem solve.jpg

Back