Grab Rail bolts....function?

bazooki

Registered
Yup, I know what they do when the rail is on the bike but do they serve any function when the rail is off the bike? When I removed my grab rail for the first time I put 1 set back in but left the second set out.???

I always put them back in tho keep me from losing them???

Yeah, I was thinking exactly that as I put them beside the bar on the foyer floor....I think I will put them back in as I am likely not going to be putting the bar on anytime soon...the rare passengers, and seat, that I have can hold on to my jacket as usual.

Yes they come out. For touring I went to a hardware store and got four longer bolts so my seatbag can attach more easily.

May i ask a question also? Goin to anyway. Will the cargo net bolts come out.

On the end you'll see a little plastic black cover. Pop it out and then use a metric hex wrench to unscrew them. Forgot the size, something small.

May i ask a question also? Goin to anyway. Will the cargo net bolts come out.

You can also get some replacements from smithabusa to cover the hole left behind with a nice flush bolt so nothing sticks out - popular mod around these parts. Search for "frankenstein bolt replacement" and you should stumble across a link to get them or you can just order them from his page - Frankenstein Replacement Bolts

You can also get some replacements from smithabusa to cover the hole left behind with a nice flush bolt so nothing sticks out - popular mod around these parts. Search for "frankenstein bolt replacement" and you should stumble across a link to get them or you can just order them from his page - Frankenstein Replacement Bolts

Those are the larger bolts that go into the tail
section...he is talking about the shorter ones
that go into the grab bar itself.

Damn glad I read this post as much to my ignorance, I ass umed the bolts were merely to attach the grab bar so, when I had no grab bar on I had no bolts in place. I have done this since last November when I bought her:banghead:. Luckily, I have had nothing bad happen with them missing but the second I finished reading this post I headed out to the Busa house and put those bolts in! :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: I am so happy this thread was started and I read it before I had a bad incident.:cheerleader:

The four bolts that hold the grab bar on...he took it off and only put two back in.

Keep all four spacers....they are a MUST for proper grab rail anchoring !!! The bolts can be replaced....(8mmX1.25 grade 8)

Back