Caliper bracket - rear

JSilvers

Registered
I purchased a chrome rear caliper bracket with pads, nuts, bolts etc - a whole set up... I have the service manual for back up but it does not address my question which is ----- can I simply remove the 36mm nut that holds the axel in place and slide the axel out far enough to slip the old bracket out and slide the new bling in and push the axel back in place? Has anyone replaced theirs. This is a 2008.

you need to have the weight off the tire. Use a rear stand and it should be easy.

I purchased a chrome rear caliper bracket with pads, nuts, bolts etc - a whole set up... I have the service manual for back up but it does not address my question which is ----- can I simply remove the 36mm nut that holds the axel in place and slide the axel out far enough to slip the old bracket out and slide the new bling in and push the axel back in place? Has anyone replaced theirs. This is a 2008.

Yes, put it on a rear stand...disconnect the caliper, slide out the axle, remove the bracket...install the new one :beerchug:

if you do that...once the axle leaves the swingarm...it will shift....the bike will shift...and you will at very least poop your pants.

not sure I understand your comment. I undersatand the poop part. The shift part though is a little unclear. I have the bike on a lift right now. I was going to lift the frame of the bike off the lift until the wheel is 1/32 to 1/16 off the lift and attampt to pull to axel. I assume the tire will drop the distance that I have the thing jacked off the stand roughly 1/16 or so. I was then planning on rolling a steel plate under the tire which "should" bring things back into the proper hight at which time I assume I would have to wrestle the axel assembly into alignment ??

not sure I understand your comment. I undersatand the poop part. The shift part though is a little unclear. I have the bike on a lift right now. I was going to lift the frame of the bike off the lift until the wheel is 1/32 to 1/16 off the lift and attampt to pull to axel. I assume the tire will drop the distance that I have the thing jacked off the stand roughly 1/16 or so. I was then planning on rolling a steel plate under the tire which "should" bring things back into the proper hight at which time I assume I would have to wrestle the axel assembly into alignment ??

You will be fine to do it that way...don't mind the GRUMPY dude...he is always
crappin' in somebodies corn flakes :poke:

Back