mystery oil leak

joenub

Registered
so, i'be been after this sucker for over a month now, replacing everything that i can think of. the leak started to manifest itself with a simple drip off of the kickstand. so since i replaced the oil pan gasket already (when the clutch decided to disassemble itself on the way to work) i thought that it had to be it. right? wrong. finding now that it's been dripping from up higher around the shifter housing. pulled the water pump and shifter housing, waited four more days for more parts and replaced those seals. wrong again. while i was in there i found that the previous owner had apparently been cleaning the chain on a stand with it running (always a great idea, survival of the fittest). there was a big chunk of rag caught up at the clutch pushrod area masking it yet again. looks like this was a leaker for someone else and i'm thinking that they tried a quick fix. to me it looks like a caulk of some kind. has anyone seen anything like this before? im looking for pic of what the clutch rod seal is supposed to look like and any replacement tips that someone might have.

Pushrod Seal.jpg

Pushrod Seal.jpg

Looks like a silicone based sealant of some sort. I've seen some folks lube the rod on other applications, then fit it through the wet silicone so as to contain any liquid on the other side. Silicone then dries, and the rod remains somewhat loose, or moveable but sealed. THIS would be considered an emergency, "I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere" kind of fix.

Some here have found a way around splitting the case......there is a rubber seal inside that glob that contains the oil spray from the gear groups as they spin. It's called the clutch pushrod seal.....Uhhhh...underneath the glob..... :super:

i don't want to say that splitting the case isn't an option, just not one that i'd like to excercise.

Looks like a silicone based sealant of some sort. I've seen some folks lube the rod on other applications, then fit it through the wet silicone so as to contain any liquid on the other side. Silicone then dries, and the rod remains somewhat loose, or moveable but sealed. THIS would be considered an emergency, "I'm stuck in the middle of nowhere" kind of fix.

Some here have found a way around splitting the case......there is a rubber seal inside that glob that contains the oil spray from the gear groups as they spin. It's called the clutch pushrod seal.....Uhhhh...underneath the glob..... :super:

+1 on that

Yes that seal behind the goop with the rod coming out probably needs to be replaced. Buy a new one and study it and see if there is a way to do it without splitting the cases.
There have been some threads on here but they never reported back what they did?

Good luck!

I'm not sure where the thread is, but that seal CAN be replaced with out splitting the cases :thumbsup:

i tried to chip some of that crap off last night. it's going to be a long road. but something to do until the parts get here

As long as the bike is standing straight up, you can start by pulling the rod out, and removing all that crap......be gentle, and thorough while cleaning. When you get that junk off, you'll see where the seal for the rod is located....next issue is removing the old one, and replacing it. Some of the guys have taken a small exacto, sliced from the center to the edge, then grabbed it with a small needle nose. The next challenge will be getting the new seal in the right position. There's an indented radius inside the edge of the case, so you have to be inventive. I think someone warmed the seal up until it's super pliable, allowing it to be squeezed at the edges like a "V", then inserted, and pressed into place......or something like that. Be inventive.... :super:

i really need a picture of what the stock setup looks like with the slave cylinder removed. anyone want to help?

good pictures. after hitting it with a wire wheel on the dremel, it looks like some jack-hole might have gone a bit further and glued a washer in there with all of that mess. unless part of this seal is metal and the pics are misleading.

The seal that the clutch rod goes into is all rubber. (now there may be metal inside it to give some support, but unless you start cutting into it we'll never know.)

Here are a few pic of the area cleaned up when I cleaned my last year or so. Have no clue how you'd get a new seal in there, but it probably wouldn't be too difficult to get the old one out. Make sure it's not leaking from behind where the water pump goes in too.

beforecleaning1.jpg

beforecleaning2.jpg

IMG_4871.jpg

cracked2.jpg

aftercleaning.jpg

IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4878.jpg

IMG_4877.jpg

Back