Splitting lanes law ……. Please read B/4 doing

BUBBA

Foghoon Leghoon
Donating Member
Registered
Okay first order of business is this disclaimer:

I am not advocating lane splitting nor am I offering lessons on the subject.
I am merely giving you my opinions and experiences so that you can make your own decisions about doing so. I am a firm believer in safe riding and I would never put someone else’s life in jeopardy.
I have been riding and splitting lanes for the better part of 20 years and although I am still here, I have had some close calls – not always the cagers fault.

I was not aware that California was one (if not the only state) that allowed this practice and thought we all did this. I also used to ride without a helmet in Texas and Cal until the laws passed.

Thank you to BlueHaya who brought this to my attention.

That said, here is my opinion on those who may now be able to ride lanes with the cages for the first time.

First, take it easy and wait for the right opportunity to get the feel for it.
Never split lanes on city streets unless traffic has come to a full stop.
Get to the front of the line and when the light changes get in front of traffic and give yourself a nice cushion – maybe 100 ft or more depending on the next light or cars in front that have just made a turn. Make sure there is plenty of room for any accessories you may have on your bike i.e. large mirrors, bags, big cans etc.

Even when you are comfortable with doing this I still do not suggest you ever split lanes on city streets while traffic is moving – even if it is just a crawl. People are constantly trying to better their own position and on the city streets they feel it is safer to dart about than on the freeway because they are going slower.
Remember – even a slow speed accident on a bike is either painful or deadly – nothing in between, no such thing as a fender bender on a bike.

Second, know your roads and every bump there is on them. Many times there is a high center which can throw you in a direction you don’t want to go, these high centers are not always obvious and can be hard to detect. The centers of many streets have reflector bumps (which I like to think of as brail for the blind drivers); these can also wreak havoc on a slow moving bike. They are slippery and cause you to lose traction at higher speeds.

Third, when you are on a freeway NEVER, NEVER again NEVER split lanes at high speed. This is just too obvious go into explanation.
Splitting lanes on a freeway is somewhat different in the fact that there are so many lanes to choose from.
I say stay away from the slow lanes to the right.
Reason: these are the lanes that most cars change from and to.
They have either just gotten on and want to get to the left – or they are trying to exit to the right.

I usually only split on the left lane when traffic is going relatively slow, 30 mph or less, just to keep myself going and to keep some air flow while still making time.
Another trick is to be careful of the false since of security you may feel when traffic is staggered – THIS IS DANGEROUS – you may feel that not having someone on one side of you is good BUT NO. AND KNOW THIS – any time there is a gap in traffic someone wants to fill it.

I often find myself riding along with a car on my side as they serve as a block. SUV’s make a great one as they are highly visible and people don’t want to change in front of them. Sometimes when traffic is still rolling I do not actually pass, I simply maintain and make sure the car can see me.

In California it is also legal to ride in NO MAN’s LAND.
This is the area of space between the carpool (or HOV) and regular traffic lanes.
Still must be careful as many idiots still cross the double yellow with no signals.

Fourth, always find the driver in the side mirrors – simple fact of physics – if you can see them, they can see you.

Last and finally – TRUST YOUR GUT INSTINCTS! – These are often based on your subconscious mind and your 5 senses that are cognizant of the surroundings taking them into account and telling you TO NOT DO IT.

I am ready for a flaming on people who do not agree with me but I feel compelled to at least give my riding community my experience, blessings and to let them know I do care for all of our well being should you decide to split lanes if the laws allow.\

REMEMBER: this is a personal decision and as riders we must do everything we can to put ourselves in the safest place, not just for us but for the people who depend on us to be there, family – friends – coworkers – and of course the ORG.

Thank you for your time and patience.
Ride Safe.

Bubba

I have a friend in Massachusettes and he says they can split lanes there as well as RI and CT I think too...he may have said all of New England, but I am not sure...maybe others can chime in on this...

Last edited:
i split lanes years ago in wichita, ks at a stop light leaving the highway. traffic was backed clear up onto the highway. i didnt feel safe there so we went between cars on off ramp. pulled to a stop at the light right next to a cop. my buddy was right behind me... i just lifted my visor and waved. he smiled and waved back. not sure if its legal, but we didnt get pulled over.

In NC thereis a law where you have to be atleast two feet from the other vehicle, but no law on splitting lanes. I would only do it on big highways with little traffic though.

Thank you Bubba :beerchug:

I have found myself splitting traffic more often --- but only when it's sitting still. I won't do it under other conditions.

I have adjusted my "radar" to work on 2 different levels --- my 5 second area and my 20-30 second area. The closer one watches the cars I'm approaching --- I look for those "voids" really increase my level of awareness/as well as the awareness by the car drivers when I see those. I've seen too many YouTube Vids where people dart out to get their car into that hole --- even if it means going over the double, double yellows.

The longer distance radar scans for not only veering vehicles, but also the debris that collects in "no man''s land" ---

I wanted to say that for re-enforcing my practices. It's really a confidence boost to know I'm not the only one who does those things. For some times, I thought maybe I was being paranoid --- but that beats being hospitalized. :thumbsup: Ride on brutha!

Dave

looking at 8 or 10 lanes of gridlock... lane splitting is a great device to use.. good suggestions on staying safe... :) Easy to say it is "too dangerous" but it is only as "unsafe" as you make it.. It is perfectly safe to do correctly.. ride like a fool, die like one...

I have a friend in Massachusettes and he says they can split lanes there as well as RI and CT I think too...he may have said all of New England, but I am not sure...maybe others can chime in on this...

I live in Assachusetts, and you CANNOT split lanes legally. Although I do it occasionally..
Actually, you cant do anything in Mass. :whistle:

The only rule I take issue with is only doing it in stopped traffic. I split lanes for 20 years or so in California. I've crept many, many times at 20 MPH in 10MPH traffic, commuting from Santa Monica to the San Fernando Valley. Not one incident. The movement gives a person a little more give in maneuvering. I was more nervous in stopped traffic for some reason, but never had an incident there either. Like Bubba, I think everyone should use their instincts and base what they do on their amount of experience.

Last edited:
Thank you BlueHaya for that chart, it is a great quick reference and I was surprised to see so many states have the splitting lanes law.

VettenBusa – thanks for reminding us of the debris in the center lanes.
It is something I face everyday and I completely forgot to include that.

It’s a factor that must be given great consideration, thanks again

Bubba

Thank you BlueHaya for that chart, it is a great quick reference and I was surprised to see so many states have the splitting lanes law.

VettenBusa – thanks for reminding us of the debris in the center lanes.
It is something I face everyday and I completely forgot to include that.

It’s a factor that must be given great consideration, thanks again

Bubba
Do not confuse "lane sharing" with "lane splitting" they are different.. CA "was" the only state that allowed splitting,..
Lane sharing on the other hand is 2 bikes using the same lane as a single car might (side by side) In Indiana, the law states "only with permission of the other bike"..

Do not confuse "lane sharing" with "lane splitting" they are different.. CA "was" the only state that allowed splitting,..
Lane sharing on the other hand is 2 bikes using the same lane as a single car might (side by side) In Indiana, the law states "only with permission of the other bike"..

Thanks Bogus
I didn't read all the way to the bottom.

Do you know if there are any more states considering the splitting law?
Bubba

Thanks Bogus
I didn't read all the way to the bottom.

Do you know if there are any more states considering the splitting law?
Bubba
Gets the pooh pooh around here every time it is mentioned.. Safety, cage rage and squids are the main problems cited...

The fact that California has such massive freeways, year round riding weather and horrendous traffic issues probably contributes to the one thing that apparently the CA law makers find the only safe thing that can happen in CA only.. (plenty of other things that are only dangersous in CA however, like a neighbor painting his house, smoking cigarettes or being in a building where a bullet might have left trace amounts of lead or nitrates in the air)

Oh lest we forget now "black" cars are bad too... :rofl:

I spent my first 26 years riding in CA, lane splitting was a way of life and most motorists were tolerant as long as one rode responsibly and acted reasonably polite. Here in the greater DC area the laws do not support lane splitting and motorists can be downright DANGEROUS and aggressive in their responses. Yes, I do occasionally split in tight traffic when engine temp becomes a problem (yes I've done the Muzzy fan, engine ice, new thermostat, etc.). Summers in DC get hot, and neither the Busa nor the air-cooled Harley are very tolerant of sitting in rush-hour traffic, hence the heat problem. Keeping the overtake speeds down to a fast walking pace in stopped traffic makes it reasonably safe as long as one scans ahead and watches the cars on each side while passing. But, it is a serious mental workout; I feel psychologically and physically drained each time I do it as the amount of sustained focus required is so high. Compounding these issues, many roads here have no shoulder to pull off on, literally one can find themselves in a roadway with a retaining wall at the edge of the narrow lane with a steep embankment on the other side of the two lane road (Canal road in DC for those of you who have been here) that leaves the rider with no option of stopping safely to allow an overheated bike to cool off. So, if traffic stops one has few options, short of not riding the bike to begin with. For those of you outside the DC area who may suggest taking alternate routes, the roads here stem from cart paths - as in horse drawn carts; there was no planning involved for modern transportation. The roadway choices to get into DC are limited, and coming from the Maryland side there is no highway or freeway into town, no joke. Once off the Capital Beltway commuters are forced to use narrow surface streets. Rush hour traffic is among the worst in the nation and the motorists here are among the most hostile and aggressive I’ve ever witnessed; and, I say that after living in SoCal during the first incidents of road-rage involving firearms! So, there are extenuating circumstances which occasionally force one into splitting to avoid the more dangerous option of stalling on the roadway in traffic. I’ll share the outcome of my trial should I ever be forced to defend this position in court after being cited. But in my humble opinion, better that than becoming a hood ornament in DC traffic. My respect to all who read this regardless of your position on lane splitting.
-Jim

Back