Do Chains ??

mymaster

Dr. Frankenstein
Donating Member
Registered
I posted this question awhile back with mixed responses and I notice quite a few new names since then and thought I'd post it again.

Does a chain "stretch" like a piece of rope or cable or rubberband ? or.....
Does the chain and sprockets metal parts (pins,rollers,surfaces) "wear down" causing the chain to lengthen ? or...

...both?

bbb 036.jpg

sprocket 007.jpg

Both would have to be my answer. When the pins wear down, the chain will lengthen by the amount of material worn off. if its consistent for all the links, it will expand by the amount worn down multiplied by the number of links.

Also, metal DOES fatigue over time, which is where the stretching comes in.

Both, first the new chain will be stressed and stretch a bit...then as the the chain wears the length will grow some more as the parts wear in...just keep it clean and well lubed :beerchug:

And if you don't change sprockets with the chain (and the teeth are worn) , the sprocket will ruin the new chain :beerchug:

Both. Plus, on high HP bikes or even stock bikes with alot of hard launching with soft metal sprockets, the rear sprocket can actually work into an egg shape. So when the rear wheels spins the chain goes loose, tight, loose.

Last edited:
Both. Plus, on high HP bikes or even stock bikes with alot of hard launching with soft metal sprockets, the rear sprocket can actually work into an egg shape. So when the rear wheels spins the chain goes loose, tight, loose.

5-6-19 012.jpg

That's a skipper sprocket; twist the throttle at 4K and the chain starts jumping teeth. :laugh:

Not quite sure what folks mean by "stretch" when they' answered "both" above.

The side plates of the links absolutely are not stretching by any amount you could measure.

On the other hand, the bushings and pins are wearing, making the chain appear to stretch. The wear causes slop between each and every link, and when you add up all the slop between all the links, it looks like the chain has "stretched." Bit it has not stretched like a rope or a rubber band.

Actually, how a chain actually grows in length is that the round holes in the links elongate. This would be the holes where the roller pins are pressed in.

The side plates of the links absolutely are not stretching by any amount you could measure.

On the other hand, the bushings and pins are wearing, making the chain appear to stretch. The wear causes slop between each and every link, and when you add up all the slop between all the links, it looks like the chain has "stretched." Bit it has not stretched like a rope or a rubber band.

Use whatever term that you wish to use...over time/miles the chain does get longer :thumbsup:

Well Said!

Does a steel cable stretch ???

Depending on the load characteristics, yes. If the duty is within the cable's load capabilities, then the cable simply wears around the radius slightly. If the duty is outside the cable's load capabilities, then the cable elongates over time, yes.

I don't know the correct answer, I just know that I need to check my chain slack every so often and check for wear on sprocket/chain to be safe. :whistle:

:beerchug:

Back