Continuing the resurrection...

rdx4me

Registered
Got the new seals & wipers installed ($145). Fork's had some small spots of corrosion on the lowers but the shop cleaned them up pretty smooth. Hopefully they are ok and don't leak...

Removed the nose and found that the little dash part (?) had partially broken loose from it. Not sure how I can secure it back together properly except to maybe find some sort of epoxy. Any ideas from those that have experience doing this?

Have to get all the front plastics and fender re-painted to match the tank and rear fender.

This bike only has 5K miles on it so for $2500 I couldn't pass it up!

Just have to re-title it is all.

Came with a Pingel elec shifter, Hot Bodies undertail & PC III too. My son doesn't need the Pingel so I'm taking that off...

Windshield is a little scratched so I might replace that also.

Mirrors have some minor road rash so I'm looking into replacing them with some aftermarket types.

After seeing other Org members rides, I think a 6" extended swingarm would look cool, seems to bring the tire more inline with the tail.

Here some pics of work in progress...

100_2010.jpg

100_2009.jpg

100_2011.jpg

100_2012.jpg

100_2013.jpg

100_2014.jpg

100_2015.jpg

Not exactly sure what part of the dash you're speaking of, but some have used a soldering iron to secure metal to plastic and plastic to plastic. Epoxy works too, just make sure you don't buy something that will damage the plastics.

epoxy or a nice bead of rtv along the edge, just make sure both surfaces are clean before trying either method and that should hold the dash panel back to the front fairing (assuming that's the part you're talking about).

nice setup you have there in you garage. It seem like the work is going smooth. By the way are you hispanic cause they way you have the date/moth/year setup in you camera I can tell. Keep ou the good work.

nice setup you have there in you garage. It seem like the work is going smooth. By the way are you hispanic cause they way you have the date/moth/year setup in you camera I can tell. Keep ou the good work.
Hispanic? Military also dates everything like that....been out 9 years and I still write all my dates as 20 Mar 09 and such....and I'm not Hispanic....Irish. :laugh:

Looks like your under the same gun as I am..I broke off the Dash connection piece that holds the Left Intake Cover in place...Im going to use some Marine Grade Epoxy to hold it back in place...That or some Super Glue Gel..it glues plastics really well with no damage...

I think that RTV would not be a strong enough bond...Its a great sealant but I dont know how well it would hold up for a permanent bond like that...

Looking Good man... :thumbsup:

Not hispanic but I am a retired Jarhead though! Guess my camera defaults to that DTG format when I change the batteries... But I do write my dates as "20 Mar 09", old habits die hard...

I'll rough up the surrounding area and try the epoxy. And if that doesn't hold I'll maybe resort to drilling out the plastic rivets and use some stylish looking bolts (ala R1) to hold the dash in place.

Don't know all the correct terms for these pieces so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong...

Decided to install a block-off kit too so I went ahead and pulled those pieces off.

Need a new front tire, any recommendations for these long, straight Florida roads? Wet season is coming so I would prefere something that handles and brakes really well in wet conditions and also wears well.

Rear tire is brand new, any problems with mixing tire manufactures?.

Have to come up with a license plate mount. Thanks to the recent change in FL laws the vertical mount I was planning on is no longer an option...

Saw a couple of options Org members have submitted, hanging plate from the undertail. Seems the only way to go without having the tag sticking way off to side of the swingarm / axle.

Last edited:
and I'm not Hispanic....Irish. :laugh:[/QUOTE]

It's almost the same thing, :laugh::laugh:

Is this bike being built for your son ?

Is that a frame in the floor, next to the lift ?

Yes, promised him one day I'd get him one & the opportunity came that I couldn't pass up. We've been riding together for about 14 years with one type of bike or another. 6 of those years was over in Japan, that was expensive but fun! Felt like the poor Americans LOL!

Good eyes! That frame on the floor is my 124" Softail HD, which is on hold till I get his bike together and off the lift.

If you look at the 4th pic, just above the exhaust gaskets you'll see $1500 worth of trashed 4 1/8" S&S cylinders...

My 124" Twin Cam shattered a piston, which also took out the oil pump and other very expensive parts and so I decided to just redo the entire thing. That's going to be a very long project as I haven't quite figured out the winning combo to the FL Lottery yet...

Had 100K on my bike (25K on this motor) so it was due. I normally ride daily here, about 75 miles a day - rain or shine...

So I'll get his done first and then start on mine. Summers coming and he's young. I've got plenty of time left to enjoy mine when I get it back together someday...

I thought my 124" was fast till I rode this Busa after bringing it home...:bowdown::bowdown:

Last edited:
Putting the forks back on and checked the manual - 16.5 ftlbs sure doesn't feel like very much for the upper & lower clamps.... Got some Perma Poxy Plastic Weld to try on the nose piece. Have to rough up the area a bit and then apply plenty. LOL!

Also got some new exhaust gaskets so I can get the exhaust back on once the front ends done and I get her off the ammo can!

Got some more pics to post tomorrow. Opened up the air box and there are "Factory Pro V45.3-70 Velocity stacks" (?) under the BMC air cleaner.

The rubber boots that connect the throttle bodies to the airbox were not seated on the throttle bodies properly. So now I'm trying to fix that and it's something else trying to get it all aligned the way it's supposed to be...

There was actually like rock salt chunks in the airbox from Bonneville! You'll see it in the pics tomorrow.

Got to order a Pair Valve kit, none of the local shops had any of course...

Last edited:
Also make sure your tag mount doesn't have a hinge where the LE can say It's illegal. Hinges can be flipped up when peeps run from the law,not just for drag strip use.

Here's the pics. That's SALT in the airbox, not sand. That stuff is everywhere on the bike. I would never take my bike to the Salt Flats... This is all from the previous owner, a fellow Jarhead.

Strife: I took a pics of my son-in-laws 1200 Sportster. It came stock from HD with a folding tag mount. HD's going to be doing some serious Recalls if these are illegal!

Was reading on another forum where a guy rode his HD all the way from NM for Bikeweek. Upon entering Daytona he was promptly pulled over for having his tag mounted vertical on his saddlebag & issued one of those fat tickets we've been hearing so much about.

When I was at a shop yesterday having the front tire replaced, an active-duty Soldier I know was in there getting a horizontal tag mount installed on his HD. And he spent ALOT of money on a custom fender with vertical plate inlaid with airbrush work (Prior to getting stationed in FL). But he's been lucky twice with warnings so he said screw it...

V stacks.jpg

Boot1.jpg

Boots2.jpg

Salt.jpg

Plate1.jpg

Plate2.jpg

Plate3.jpg

Plate4.jpg

Plate5.jpg

Oh yeah, I know most HD guys that put Velocity stacks on their rides do so for looks. But since these are inside the airbox they must (?) do something in the way of performance? I don't know what was in there originally but I thought I remembered reading somewhere on the Org. about members having different lengths on the outer cylinders or did I dream this up?

All four of these are the same length / model #. Not sure what they add but I'll leave them on...

See how distorted the rubber connectors are from being on wrong previously? Made it impossible to get them to seat all the way on the throttle bodies while they were all installed on the airbox. So I took it all apart and hopefully when it warms up today they will be more pliable and I can get them back together like they are supposed to be.

Things like that will drive me crazy until they fit like they are supposed to!

Last edited:
Are you supposed to use Locktite on the header bolts when putting it all back together? If so, which type?

There weren't any lock washers when I took her apart and I've seen some pics of other members engines and they didn't have them either...

Went on-line to Schnitz Racing & tried to order some Block-off plates. After inputting all my credit card info and hitting the submit button, it said there was an error and the Adminstrator had been notified, Do not hit the submit button again, call Schitz Racing.

Anybody have this problem before?

Man stuff like this freaks me out because I was burned this past November with credit card fraud via the internet...

???

OK,
Got in touch with with Schnitz Racing, everythings good to go. Parts begin shipped out this afternoon!

Almost everythings back together. Fixing to put a size 12.5 in my sons rear end cause he's not taking the initiative to get over here and get on the wet-sanding...

Exhaust is all back on. Laid out all the ugly rattle-can plastics for all to see...

Close to being done!

Then comes the DMV paper drill.... :whistle:

100_2057.jpg

100_2059.jpg

100_2062.jpg

100_2065.jpg

Back