Carbon Fiber vs. Stainless?

bigc70

Registered
Yet another newb question for all you pro's out there. I'm about ready to buy a set of slip on's for my '08 Blue Busa. Carbon fiber looks good and all but as we all know it's a hell of a lot more expensive than stainless. Is there any difference in performance/longevity? or is it just cosmetic. I like the carbon fiber look and all, but for the price i may just roll wit hthe stainless and use what i save there for my HIDs. as always your expertise is always much appreciated!

The SS would out last the Cf exhaust can but if you buy a good quality can it'll probably last longer than you think >10 years with maintenance.

The SS would out last the Cf exhaust can but if you buy a good quality can it'll probably last longer than you think >10 years with maintenance.

I have a Yoshimura CF slipon set that is 3 years old and it has a just a wee bit of fading; I went with SS for my new full system as I didn't want to pay the premium for CF and the fact that CF will fade eventually....YMMV

yea i was lookin at the two brothers slip ons and the Cf's are almost double the cost of the stainless! especially considering it will eventually fade :banghead: it just seems pointless IMO

CF does fade, mine have faded. I have found that using a uv blocking cleaner/wax has helped slow the process quite a bit. The only other difference I see with cf over ss is that my cf doesn't hold heat. I can touch my cf cans less then 5 min after shutting down.

You might think about saving your cash for a full system since you can sometimes find a good used system for the price of a new set of bolt-ons. Just a thought.

My thought is this.....

Do it once and do it right. Save your money up and buy a full system that you can use that will cover what ever you want your bike to do later on. I made this mistake.
I got my busa new, rode it and swore Im not doing anything to it. Its fast enough.
6 months later I was putting a set of Micron Cans on it. 6 MONTHS LATER a full T-force system. See my point? Unless your thinking of one day going with a turbo. Buy one system....once....:beerchug:

It is all in what you think looks best. I too will go for a full system though when I am ready. My bike is black, so it will likely be carbon fiber.

I have a Yoshimura CF slipon set that is 3 years old and it has a just a wee bit of fading; I went with SS for my new full system as I didn't want to pay the premium for CF and the fact that CF will fade eventually....YMMV

I had the same problem, didn't notice the fading until I took them off though, could see the difference where the straps went around them. And the bike was stored inside, can only imagine how much more it would have faded if I stored it outside or let it sit out.

FULL SYSTEM!!! you wont regret it. I LOVE mine over the slip-ons i had. SS or CF it personal taste, both, as with anything need maintence to last

It is all in what you think looks best. I too will go for a full system though when I am ready. My bike is black, so it will likely be carbon fiber.
I AGREE, I WENT WITH THE TWO BROS. CF FULL SYSTEM. I LIKED THE WAY THE CAN ATTATCHES TO THE PIPE (THEY CALL IT V.A.L.E.), THE CF PATTERN ON THE CAN, AND THE GOLD TRIM LOOKS GOOD WITH THE GOLD RIMS. PLUS THE WEIGHT SAVINGS, THE STOCK SYSTEM WAS 48 LBS. VS 12 LBS. FOR THE FULL. :thumbsup:

If your not looking for peak hp numbers i can get you a nice full system for a few hundred more than what a set of slipons will run you..lmk..

Thanx for all of your input. As for going for a full system, I considered it, but I really do like the look of the dual exhaust so I had to rule that one out.

I had carbon on my last bike then decided to chrome it so I traded up for a stainless can and it had a different deeper sound to it IMO. I guess the carbon absorbed some of the sound. maybe just in my head.

Back