Is it OK to run nitrogen in the tires? Anyone doing it?

dalynchmob4

Donating Member
Registered
Was talking to a buddy of mine, and he's going to run nitrogen in the tires on his R6... got me to thinking about doing that to my busa, but wanted to check with you guys first to see if anyone has started doing that on their's... I know it works well on vehicle tires, but I was curious if it is good/safe/smart/whatever for bike tires...

Any thoughts ???

Thanks for the knowledge :bowdown:

I've heard of it before. I know people run it in car tires.

There were threads on it in the past. I never really have any air pressure problems with my tires...so I just run with good 'ol air. Besides it is alot easier to get if I do need some.

If it's free then why not. If it's not free and you don't need to worry about expansion then just stick with air. The dry nitrogen helps to keep the tire pressure more stable across tire temps.

OMG! Don't do it!!! You're bike will EXPLODE!:blowingup:

Just kidding. I run it in one of the cars. Great stuff. Always keeps pressure. The beauty is not having water vapor, which normal air has.

Why Nitrogen?

Safer, smother ride

With under-inflated tires, there is less contact area between the tire and the road surface. This leads to less braking and steering control and a greater potential for blowouts. Properly inflated tires give drivers the control they need for a safer, smoother ride.

Better gas mileage

By maintaining proper tire pressure with high-purity Nitrogen Inflation, tire rolling resistance is reduced, helping to maximize vehicle fuel efficiency. With today’ high price of gasoline, this can be a major advantage to you.

Longer tire life

Under-inflated tires wear prematurely due to uneven road contact. Maintaining proper inflation longer can help increase tire life. High-purity nitrogen-filled tires retain proper pressure longer, so they won't wear as quickly. Plus, replacing damp compressed air in tires with dry, inert, nitrogen can help to eliminate internal tire degradation and prevent rusting of the rim.

Convenience

With high-purity nitrogen tire inflation, you won't need to refill their tires as frequently

Oxidation

Air is about 1/5 Oxygen, and oxygen, especially at high pressures and temperatures, is a very reactive element.
When oxygen reacts with things, the process is called oxidation. When oxidation is extremely rapid, it's called "burningâ€￾.

That's one reason nitrogen is used in off-highway and aircraft tires. These tires runs on oxygen get so hot, they can actually catch on fire. Nitrogen doesn't support combustion, so nitrogen-filled tires don't add fuel to the flames. And nitrogen helps prevent slower forms of oxidation also.

Nitrogen prevents corrosion of tires.

Oxygen and moisture corrodes aluminum and steel wheels. Oxygen also reacts with rubber, another type of "corrosion". When this corrosion starts, the small particles break off and form rust and dust, which can clog valve cores, causing them to leak. The rough surfaces created from the corrosive action on the wheels leads to tire beads that don't seal properly, causing additional leaks.

It's not about the nitrogen. It's about reducing oxygen, water vapor and other gases.

By reducing the percentage of oxygen, water vapor and other gases in your tires from 22% to 7% or lower, your tires will maintain proper pressure longer than if you use “plain old air.â€￾ For example, with 95% nitrogen in your tires, they retain optimal pressure three to four times longer.

Longer Rim Life

Rim rust caused by condensation from water vapor and other gases can get caught in valves and create slow leak in tires. Nitrogen is completely dry, so it eliminates the potential for condensation.

I know the supers + world of outlaw cars run it because of the tire growing factor...there is more info out there than I am aware of, but if the racers do it there is a good reason for it.

It would be interesting what the pro bikes, NASCAR, or F1 use?...they use nitrogen..

The atmosphere is 78% nitrogen as eluded to above + 21% oxygen...100% nitrogen seem ok.

Last edited:
Yes, nitrogen is better, but not better enough for most people to be worth any extra trouble. Lots of us have access to high-pressure nitrogen and it's still not worth it.

Why Nitrogen?

Safer, smother ride

With under-inflated tires, there is less contact area between the tire and the road surface. This leads to less braking and steering control and a greater potential for blowouts. Properly inflated tires give drivers the control they need for a safer, smoother ride.

"underinflated"????? SO PUT MORE AIR IN!

i think it means overinflated actually. underinflated tires would have MORE tire contact with the road.

I say use nitrogen because paying 10 bucks per tire for 25 cents of product helps stimulate the economy.

cheers
ken

Back