Dude! You’re buying a motorcycle? That’s whack!

miserycaptain

Donating Member
Registered
I see several visitors asking about what bike to buy, etc...I found this article very interesting and thought I would share it. This is it...

Dude! You’re buying a motorcycle? That’s whack!

Are you totally insane? Or do I need to spell it out for you? Yeah, right. It’s time to ride! It’s Sunday. A warm Sunday afternoon. The sun is out. Life is beautiful. Fresh air and all. You’d like to go out and go somewhere. Walking doesn’t seem to be such a great idea at the moment and driving your pickup isn’t the most thrilling experience either. So how about a nice ride on your new Ninja or GSXR? Don’t have one? Well you could just go to the dealer and buy one, no?

Most squid’s will just go out and buy the bike they think is the sexiest, meanest, and more importantly, most POWERFUL of them all. But simply going out and buying the motorcycle of your dreams and riding it out of the dealer’s showroom isn’t going to cut it in the real world. You’ll most likely end up as road kill in minutes. Here are seven steps to get you on the road in no time without hassle of signing medical bills with a toothpick:

1. Call up the Motorcycle Safety Foundation and get registered for one of their courses. Trust me you will never regret the skills you learn here. It’s quite true that you will never encounter any of these situations even without the course but wait until you do. Slippery roads? Not a problem anymore. Night riding? You’ll finally be visible! Cornering? Do it like a pro! Okay, you won’t be Valentino Rossi afterwards, but yes it will teach you the survival skills you need as an everyday commuter.

You don’t live in the United States? Not a problem! As with most European and non-European countries, driving lessons must be taken in order to legally attain your motorcycle driving license. Call up your local school now and ask if they offer any extra ‘safety courses’. If not, don’t hesitate to drive to the next town to get certified there. It truly is worth it. It’s never fun to end up as this guy did:

*Caution – Graphic Image Content*

http://images.heaven666.org/images/motorcycle-accident-(graphic).jpg

2. Download a copy of the Motorcycle Operators Manual and read it! Remember those days when you first got your driving license and your instructor gave you a small book with everything you needed to know about your car’s engine and transmission? Well there is a book like that for motorcycles as well. Read it, study it, live it!

http://www.dol.wa.gov/ds/mcmanual.htm

3. Take the test. If you fail, it’s okay. Where I’m from in Israel only 3% of all drivers make it the first time anyway. A second try is okay. Just make you sure you’re fully prepared next time and ‘feel’ the motorcycle. A good testing atmosphere is always important. It’s not against the law to say “I can’t take the test under these conditions. Please change such and suchâ€.

4. Sit down and look at your current finances and then look at what’s available. Sometimes it’s better to choose a less powerful motorcycle and be able to afford the better apparel than to choose your dream bike. It’s a tough choice but when it comes down to riding, your bare skin isn’t tough enough to handle a 70 MPH slide on tarmac. Ultimately it’s your choice. Living in a sunny state or country isn’t an excuse to ride in shorts and flip flops. Or do you really think you could survive something like this with just a helmet on?

http://seeitornot.faketrix.com/cont.../crash-photo-motorcycle-rider-racing-bike.jpg

5. Decide which riding style is right for you. In the future I will post an article outlining the pro and contra of the various rides available. For now you should sit down and truly think about where you will be riding and more importantly why you will be riding. Will you be commuting to work each morning? Is comfort an important factor? Think of all the features you’re looking for and hit up your local dealership. Ignore horsepower and torque for now. Simply focus on yourself. You are the driver!

6. Check out the apparel that’s available. A full leather suit, gloves, over-the-ankle shoes, and a full-face helmet are recommended, but do they suit your riding style? Head on over to rideSafer Motorcycle Safety Accessories and get the gist of what ‘safe’ gear is available. Use Google as much as possible too. Sometimes you’ll find manufacturers you never would have heard of that make exactly the gear you are looking for. Don’t be cheap, but don’t go for that Gucci suit either. I doubt we need another rider in glitter and pink ;) .Contact me for further advice if you need it! solarix.empireATgmailDOTcom.

7. So you think you’re ready to purchase a motorcycle? Go for it! Get out and ride! If you need any support fellow riders are always there to support you. Got a Ducati? Or a Kawi? Go visit their forums and hangout for a bit. I’m sure you’ll learn a lot during your stay.

—sevenslucky

Back